Map light bulbs on 09 Edge/MKX

Was looking on web for replacement map light bulbs (replace with LED) to improve brightness at night.

Thought it was strange that no one listed a LED replacement so I looked up the bulb in the owners manual and it was listed as a 1600XB. (Never heard of it).

Googled and couldn't find any reference to this bulb anywhere on the Internet. Checked the Ford Parts website and it's listed as part number 03466, and retails for {wait for it} ..... $21.55. Each! A simple little 12 volt, low cp bulb, twenty bucks.

Now neither one is burnt out so not really concerned, but, what did Ford do, design a weird bulb that no one else has and demand twenty bucks for a replacement? Anyone else ever notice this?

Ok,

Was looking on web for replacement map light bulbs (replace with LED) to improve brightness at night.

Thought it was strange that no one listed a LED replacement so I looked up the bulb in the owners manual and it was listed as a 1600XB. (Never heard of it).

Googled and couldn't find any reference to this bulb anywhere on the Internet. Checked the Ford Parts website and it's listed as part number 03466, and retails for {wait for it} ..... $21.55. Each! A simple little 12 volt, low cp bulb, twenty bucks.

Now neither one is burnt out so not really concerned, but, what did Ford do, design a weird bulb that no one else has and demand twenty bucks for a replacement? Anyone else ever notice this?

Ok, I had the same issue & finally figured out that the 1600XB apparently represents the same W5W bulb but with a blue coating to create a whiter illumination. The same goes for the rear MAP/Courtesy & cargo lights, for the MKX they are listed as 211-2XB & they are blue bulbs of 578 (43mm festoon).

I personally went for these for the front map & glove box lights:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIJY2ZM/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

And for the rear courtesy & cargo light went with these"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NOZ5AY/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

They are excellent fit & illumination is great, highly recommended. Note: For the rear map lights, they also use the same bulbs as the courtesy & rear cargo bulbs (43mm festoon), at the time I did not buy the map bulbs & now whenever any of my kids turns it on, I would see the difference like day & night. Hopefully will change them too.

• Like 1

Ok,

Ok, I had the same issue & finally figured out that the 1600XB apparently represents the same W5W bulb but with a blue coating to create a whiter illumination. The same goes for the rear MAP/Courtesy & cargo lights, for the MKX they are listed as 211-2XB & they are blue bulbs of 578 (43mm festoon).

I personally went for these for the front map & glove box lights:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AIJY2ZM/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

And for the rear courtesy & cargo light went with these"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NOZ5AY/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

They are excellent fit & illumination is great, highly recommended. Note: For the rear map lights, they also use the same bulbs as the courtesy & rear cargo bulbs (43mm festoon), at the time I did not buy the map bulbs & now whenever any of my kids turns it on, I would see the difference like day & night. Hopefully will change them too.

Hey thanks Omar302, right after I read your message went to Amazon and order two bulbs. Haven't checked yet, but I believe that my rear overhead and cargo light are both W5W (T10) bulbs as well. May replace them as well if I like these.

Thanks again

Dennis

Hey thanks Omar302, right after I read your message went to Amazon and order two bulbs. Haven't checked yet, but I believe that my rear overhead and cargo light are both W5W (T10) bulbs as well. May replace them as well if I like these.

Thanks again

Dennis

Rear bulbs should be 43mm festoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't checked yet, but my OM lists the light as having 3- 1600XB's as the bulb type. Have to get my lasy *** out and check one of these days.

Replaced the two front OH consul with the LED bulbs last night, wow. White and bright. Amazing difference. Weird problems assoc with them though. After I got them installed, one bulb refused to turn off, the other would not turn off.

After a messing with them for a few, I finally figured out what was wrong. For the first one, I had mistakenly turned the light control on the instrument panel to "on" position (keeping the bulb on) and in the case of the other, I had put the LED in backwards (polorized).

• Like 1