Wiping Transponder and Installing New Keys

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2013 Edge and I absolutely love him :):rockon: . However, I recently had a break in and along with my electronics, my spare remote key was stolen. I did some research and decided for my peace of mind to have my car reprogrammed so that the old key won't work. I went to one Ford dealership nearby, and they stated that they must have two original keys and were going to charge $300+ to do it not including TWO new keys! They also informed me that the key that I currently have won't work after the reprogramming is done. Now, based on my research this didn't sound accurate at all as the Ford PATS system could be wiped completely with the appropriate Ford diagnostic tool. The original fob key in my possession could then be reprogrammed along with another key. As a result, the stolen fob key will no longer work- or that's how I understood it.

Does this sound accurate or has anyone else experienced something similar?

• 1 month later...

Ridiculous. Buy a new key and any dealer can program it and the old one wiping out the one that was stolen and it won't cost anywhere near $300.

If you had 2 keys you could add a 3rd one yourself.

It does sound ridiculous, but it really could be around $300 if they are quoting the new laser-cut keys!

My local dealer can't cut them and has to call in a local locksmith (only one guy in the area that has this new laser key cutter. Dealer told me they could not justify the cost of the machine vs the relative few times they would be able to use it. (Forget what he said they were quoted, but it was in the thousands).

He showed me one of the new keys and they are completely different; actually need to be cut precisely with a laser.

Think he said it was starting on the 2015 model (forget which model it's starting with), but eventually all models in lineup will use new type keys.

Think he said they charged they guy over 300 for one key.

Edited by enigma-2

I was told by my dealer to buy and program a third key because if I lost one and had to get a spare having only one of the originals it would cost $250. Now that was for a new key and programming (including reprogramming the remaining original one) so it's expensive but nowhere near what you were quoted. I'd try another dealer. Also, call a locksmith and see if they can do it or if it's a dealer-only thing.

Some locksmiths have a Ford IDS and can do it but others just clone the working key which you don't want for many reasons.

There are other non Ford IDS OBD 2 devices used by locksmiths that can program keys/fobs. The device can be used on many makes & models, not only Fords. I had a fob programmed to my MKX using one of them.

• Like 1

My experience with the single key situation cost just over $50, plus the cost of a key. I had the key from ebay, and the reprogramming was done by a locksmith. Took about 30 minutes on a '10 F-150.

This Edge has a regular key or IA system? Even with IA you can get a spare unit on ebay for a lot less. I just did for a 'new' '13 Flex that was added to the stable. Program it, insulate the battery, hide it inside the car, and avoid all of the high costs of buying reprogramming. The IA unit is unbelievably simple to program!