Possible '08 Edge Purchase

mizmimi02

I'm new here, and I wanted to get advice on a purchase. I am looking at a beautifully maintained '08 edge limited, with 153,000 miles, fully loaded, navigation, panoramic sunroof etc, for $10,000. My husband (understandably) is concerned about the high mileage, and isn't sure it's a good purchase. The seller has all service records, had new tires put on, and has just had the oil changed. What's the likelihood that I will get another 50k-75k miles out of it with routine/preventative maintenance? I really love the car, but if I can't get longevity out of it, then it's $10k wasted. thanks for any advice or input!

If it's been well maintained and in good shape, I wouldn't worry one bit about the mileage.... I'd see no problems with it lasting to 200k+ miles. Mine has 137k and runs and drives like new.... they're pretty solid vehicles that really don't give much in the way of mechanical troubles. And this is coming from a Ford dealer tech of almost 12 years now ;)

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice. It has every option I was looking for, and it just a really nice vehicle all around. Thanks for the input regarding the fluids as well, that gives us some questions to ask should we end up looking at that one. We are still looking at other Edge possibilities, but it's nice to have the opinion of those that actually have/drive the vehicle. Thanks again.

I have an 08 Edge Limited with 150,000 miles on it. Like the one you are looking at it is fully loaded (roof, nav, power trunk lid, etc). Mine is AWD as well. The key is the maintenance. I have absolutely no issues with mine and fully expect to go well over 200K with it. My daily commute is over 120 miles and I don't even think about the mileage on it. That said, I make sure I never skip a service though I do most of them myself.

As for issues, the only non-maintenance repair I have had to do was the infamous PTU seal on the AWD's. Mine went at 92K. I may have been lucky given the other horror stories I have read but mine was fixed on the first try at a reasonable price at a Ford dealer I trust. I never had another issue with it.

I'd say that if you can get proof of maintenance on the car, the mileage shouldn't be a worry.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the input! We are waiting fo the insurance check to get here (mother in law totaled my car), and this will be the first one we look at. It's encouraging to see that people have put so many miles on the awesome vehicles. I did call and ask about the gas tank, and the ptu. The gas tank has been taken care of per the recall, and they have documentation of that. They didn't know what I was talking about regarding the ptu, so I explained it to them and they are going to check it out. If it was bad, would it have possibly already been taken care of at 153k? Either way, I am excited to see if this is the one for me!

• Like 1