AFE Dry air filter for a little more performance on my 3.5

carguy75

Not to shock you but you read my mileage correctly I am now at 270,000 miles. Look at my profile pic that was taken about a week or so ago. You can also follow my trials and tribulations on the pinned topic "what to expect at 200,000 plus miles" I think that will have to be changed in October to "what to expect at 300,000 plus miles"

Wow, your Edge is averaging very good gas mileage.

I would be happy if I can average 21-22 mpg mixed city/highway driving with my new AFE filter, before my filter change I was averaging only about 19 mpg mixed driving as of a few days ago.

What was your mileage before using the K&N filter, if you can remember it with almost 300000 miles on the clock?

I am guessing you mean 27000 miles? :)

Ask yourself why there are no published test results with empirical data proving these filters improve fuel economy. Or go find them. The other ones were easy to find.

I'm not saying not to buy them. Just don't delude yourself or try to rationalize the expense by claiming mpg increases that aren't there.

Well, soon I will found out if my new filter will or will not give me any gains. :)

If it does not, I will be the first to say that I wasted my $50.

FYI, to be honest I never take much stock in published tests on the internet, unless it is about my particular engine or product.

The best test in my opinion is to just try it yourself instead of reading and only relying on mostly flawed testing that may or may not be correctly administered.

Just my take on things.

Edited by carguy75

Well ,they did admit to having some errors in their testing like the collapsing filters and using shop towels in place of powder or dirt as a air restricting source.

So yes, the testing had flaws but ultimately proved their point about modern engine adaptability.

However, if you want to use clinical testing as your only reason to not try a product it is your choice.

I ,on the other hand, will just use the filter and see for myself it works or not.

Why is that so hard for you to understand or comprehend?

I DO NOT care about some test posted on the internet, and I will not let it stop me from trying a product myself.

If my mpg meter states that I am averaging over 19 mpg during my wife's usual daily routes around town with the new filter, I will be happy. :)

FYI, people used to believe the world was flat and had "scientific proof" that it was impossible to sail around it, until someone was actually brave enough to try to sail around it and disproved those theories. :)

The same for the sound barrier, ancient fish still existing, etc.

Smart people can be wrong sometimes. :)

Edited by carguy75

Today, I got a chance to drive the Edge and checked the mpg meter.

The Edge is now averaging about 20-21 in mixed driving.

I got the mpg meter to average between 23-24mpg while driving at about 55 mph on the highway after a few miles and the mpg may go up some more if i drive a longer distance without stopping.

However, the average mpg goes down to about 20-21 when accelerating uphill or stop-and-go situations around the city, and may get less if I get caught in heavy traffic congestion.

Not bad for an AWD 3.5L V6 that use regular gas in the winter(today the temp. was in the 20's) . :)

I guess the new filter is giving my Edge an extra 1-2 mpg, as well as great acceleration especially while passing on the highway.

It feels as quick my Mercedes E350(while the E350 is in eco mode) when passing now in manual shift mode, before the AFE filter the Edge was still quick in manual shift mode but not as responsive as it is now.

To be honest, I really do need some feed back from other AWD Edge owners about their current mpg to accurately say that the filter is really increasing my mileage.

But going from what I was getting before, it seems like an improvement or at the very least a performance gain without a mpg penalty.

Edited by carguy75

You can't use other people's mpg to compare to yours. You'd have to compare you driving your edge at the same temps the same way with both the old and new filters. That's how scientific test are performed.

If you think you're getting 1-2 mpg then just be happy with it and move on.

LOL.

I already posted that this thread will not be a "scientific" post.

I am just curious about what other AWD Edge owners are getting mpg wise.

I am not making any graphs or charts that require any perfect measurable data, just some readers to post what mpg that are noticing in their AWD Edges.

I am satisfied with the results, so I agree that I should just accept the fact that the filter works well and call it a success. :)

For the record, I can use whatever I want to compare whatever I want the way that I want, thank you very much.

So please stop being so anal about this stuff.:)

Edited by carguy75

I can not stop watching this is like a train wreck LOL

LOL.

Some Edge owners, like myself, here on this forum are "Edgy". :)

However, some people on this forum seems to not like trying something new"or allow anyone else to do so without negativity" based on other people comments or tests; therefore they will not waste time reviewing a product themselves.

But, I do understand that there are a lot of snake-oil products in the automotive market that just waste money, so some people should be leery of potential marketing scams or false claims.

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 1

To address the post about misinformation,

My Edge makes 2 additional mpg with the new AFE filter, so I believe that the information about air filters you posted may not be 100% accurate across the board when it comes to the AFE Dry air filter in the 3.5 Edge.

You keep posting about facts, but you have never even tried a Dry S filter in the Edge, so what facts are you referring to besides posted tests about different make of cars and filters?

I am using the Dry S filter in the Edge, and the "facts" are that it gives my Edge slightly better gas mileage with a better throttle response.

Feel free to buy a AFE Dry S filter, and disprove my stated gains by using your scientific method of testing unless it is limited to reading published test links on the web done by others. ;)

Edited by carguy75

Because you can not.

Can you post any scientific tests done on the AFE Dry S filter installed in a Ford car with the 3.5 V6 engine?

No?

Therefore, my "anecdotal" account of how the Dry S works in the Edge is the only reference available on this forum that I know of.

Unless you want to perform a more accurate test yourself, which I suspect is not going to happen because you think you know so much about how well something will or will not work due to what you read.

Like yourself, I love a good debate.

Unlike yourself, I put things to the test for myself instead of just relying on "facts" determined by others.

I will lay this to rest when you do.

You can not put out a fire if you keep fueling it. :)

Edited by carguy75