DIY oil change today!!

carguy75

Today, I will be doing my first oil change on my 2011 Edge.

I will take some pics and make a DIY thread if anyone wants one.

I will be using Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic oil and a Motorcraft FL-500S oil filter, nothing special.

However, I do recommend buying your drain plugs from the Ford dealership or OEM part supplier due to the drain plug having a rubber gasket attached to the plug which could stop sealing after it is removed.

Therefore, i would not recommend trying the reuse the old drain plug more than twice.( I personally will just use a new one every oil change at 5k miles.)

Edited by carguy75

I have never had an "O" ring on any drain plug leak either, even my 2003 F150 that had over 160000 miles, with oil changes done every 5000 miles! That's over 32 oil changes and no drips or leaks ever. My 2013 Edge has had 6 oil changes done (again every 5000 miles) and no problems.

I did replace the oil drain plug at the 30000 miles change and install a Fumoto drain valve. It's so nice now not burning my fingers taking out a hot drain plug (I always drain the oil when the oil is hot) and not dropping the plug into the oil catch pan by accident. The oil does drain out slower, but that gives me time to check some of the other items I always check every oil change.

Other cars I've owned that used a crush washer, the washer was replaced every time I changed oil.

Well, I have just finished the oil change.

It was very easy, no need for a DIY on this job.

I agree with others that say that the drain plug may not have to be replaced at every oil change.

My oil drain plug's rubber gasket was still in very good shape, so I kept it even though I used the new drain plug.

The Edge seems to run very well with Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

The Edge runs very quiet and smooth now, however it was pretty quiet before the oil change anyway.

But it does seem to run and sound bit smoother with the Mobil 1.

Maybe because it have new undiluted clean oil is the reason it is running better.

Well, anyway I am glad I changed the oil because the dealer I bought the car from did not change it like they said they do all of their new cars on the lot, because it was very dirty for oil that is only a few weeks old.

I never trust salesmen when they say that they have just changed the oil. :(

Edited by carguy75
  • Like 1

I have never had an "O" ring on any drain plug leak either, even my 2003 F150 that had over 160000 miles, with oil changes done every 5000 miles! That's over 32 oil changes and no drips or leaks ever. My 2013 Edge has had 6 oil changes done (again every 5000 miles) and no problems.

I did replace the oil drain plug at the 30000 miles change and install a Fumoto drain valve. It's so nice now not burning my fingers taking out a hot drain plug (I always drain the oil when the oil is hot) and not dropping the plug into the oil catch pan by accident. The oil does drain out slower, but that gives me time to check some of the other items I always check every oil change.

Other cars I've owned that used a crush washer, the washer was replaced every time I changed oil.

I also only drain my oil when it is hot after a drive, so to make sure that I drain all of the sludge and other gunk out of the oil pan.

I may have to invest in one of the easy drain valves one day, because I do hate burning my fingers with the hot oil. :)

Edited by carguy75

I may have to invest in one of the easy drain valves one day, because I do hate burning my fingers with the hot oil. :)

I don't know why I put if off for so long. I had been talking about trying one of the Fumoto valves for several years before I finally did it. One of the best "mods" I've done. It's also a convenience to just put the hose from the valve into an empty jug to fill with the used oil, and can shut off the flow to switch jugs if needed. Only need for a drain pan now is for the oil filter replacement.

• Like 1

Does the 2013 Edge have a cover? I don't think I've seen one but with the way the winter has been lately, I don't even want to get on the ground to take a look.

I also never replaced the drain plug when I did oil changes on my Mariner...it may have been the original plug and I had the car 8 years...never had a leak.

From the Owner's manual: "Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ (IOLM) system which displays a message in the message center at the proper oil change service interval; this interval may be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)".

I only got my 2013 Edge SEL few days ago and I am going to do my own oil change. So you guys are changing the oil at 5000 miles (8000 Km) despite what the Oil Life Monitor shows you? Are you changing Synthetic oil at every 5000 miles?

I find the oil monitor is great with my wifes car as she sometimes idles a lot when she picks of the girls from school and this system takes into account the idle time for the oil life and gives me pretty accurate estimates of when to change the oil. My car I change every month. Both cars are exact opposites when it comes to use.

• Like 1

The 2007-10 don't have IOLM (except, as mac says, in our heads), so it is better to read the owner's manual carefully and decide whether normal- or severe-duty fits your schedule. You won't go wrong with severe-duty in either case, but it may not be necessary. Use a good oil and filter regardless to help prevent deposits from building up on the innards. Think of it as taking care of your pearly whites :)

• Like 1

I just change my oil every 4k miles, even when synthetic oil especially if I use the OEM filters.

Reason is that even though synthetic oil can go longer without change, the oil filters usually get clogged with dirt/sludge after about 3k miles and go into bypass mode which allows the dirty oil to recirculate in the engine.

The Ford oil filter in the Edge seems pretty big so I am guessing that it is good for at least 4k miles before it gets clogged.

With regular non-synthetic oil, I would not go pass 3k miles due to how easily the regular oils break down and become diluted by fuel and heat as little as 2k miles depending on the brand.

Edited by carguy75

If an engine is producing enough sludge to cause the oil filter to clog and to go into by-pass mode at just 3000 miles, I'm surprised the engine is still running well. Oil to be contaminated or diluted enough by fuel or diluted because of heat at only 2000 miles is real indications of something wrong!

I bet you never had an oil analysis done by Blackstone or any of the other testing labs. I would also suggest you do some researching over on Bob Is The Oil Guy for starters. Everything you have said is so far off base, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/category/2/Lubrication_and_General_Automo

OEM filters clogged after 4K miles? Absolutely ridiculous.

I'd go look up numerous tests that prove otherwise but you'll just ignore them.

He said he changes oil every 4000 miles, but the oil filter clogs every 3000 miles. That's even more ridiculous! Doesn't make sense that he would drive 1000 miles with a clogged oil filter that is in by-pass mode.