2008 Ford Edge 3.5L #5 Coil replacement

montyvox

Good morning-

So I've been reading about people running into issues with the TSS & OSS speed sensors on their Ford Edge's and when they have it fixed, they are still running into some issues.

Mainly between 40-60 mph there seems to be some hesitation and old Edge "clunk" might be heard as well as other issues.

A lot of people have been mentioning that the #5 coil might be the culprit with this issue, which I think I have. It's clunked once since I had it fixed back in December 2014, but I've also noticed the terrible gas mileage that I've been getting with it as well, worse than what it usually is.

My question is, and from what I've heard it's not that hard, is how hard is it to replace it? I have the necessary tools and such, it's just a matter of I've never done it, so I want to get some advice on it.

Also, does anyone have a part number for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Luckily for you, IF that coil is the only problem, it is the middle one of the 3 right up front. Should be a snap to replace. You MIGHT need a rubber boot if the old one is in bad shape, though, and that part should be available from the dealer.

Anyhoo, you should start with pulling codes first to see if any misfires etc are occurring before you get on the parts replacement roulette wheel. If you don't have a reader, any major auto parts store should be able to grab 'em for you.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily for you, IF that coil is the only problem, it is the middle one of the 3 right up front. Should be a snap to replace. You MIGHT need a rubber boot if the old one is in bad shape, though, and that part should be available from the dealer.

Anyhoo, you should start with pulling codes first to see if any misfires etc are occurring before you get on the parts replacement roulette wheel. If you don't have a reader, any major auto parts store should be able to grab 'em for you.

What do you do when the old shut off and restart clears the codes?

Edited by bmoreguysedge

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone-

I haven't replaced the #5 coil yet on my 2008 Edge- I agree that I would notice it right away if there was an issue, and lately it's been running better. I've been using high octane gas in it and it seems to be running better other than bad gas mileage.

It's ironic that when I had the TSS & OSS sensors replaced back in December that all of a sudden my gas mileage is worse than what it was before. Could it be just coincidence that since it was repaired that it is running richer now and based on the new sensors?

Also, I hear sometimes what sounds like the defrost condenser on when I take off from a red light, but the defroster is not on. The sound comes from the right side of the motor. This has been happening since I got it fixed in December as well.

I love my truck but it's getting to the point that I want to sell it since I'm tired of the frustrations with it. Between the three PTU seals that I needed to get fixed, then the TSS & OSS sensors, a new muffler, since the old one was starting to fall off due to Ford's ineptitude to not put a separate hanger to take the weight off of it, has kinda got me at wits end.

I'm afraid to take it on longer trips just based on the unreliability with it.

Try running a bottle of HEET through the gas tank. If there's water in there, HEET will take care of it. You can add it at any time, empty tank or full tank etc. Empty is always best for best mix, especially with AWD (due to saddle type tank) tho.

No idea on the "defrost condenser sound". Have you changed the cabin filter lately? Can you describe the sound in further detail or record & post? If frost is forming on the coils, a new cabin filter and cleaning of the windshield cowl area might fix it. Or you might need to use a coil cleaner to get rid of stuff built up on them.

• 1 month later...