BCM reset with new battery

2011edgese

Anyone know anything about this? I replaced my battery last week and just came across how you have to reset the bcm to get the system to charge it properly . I just threw it in and its working fine. I did plug in my actron scan tool. The voltage ranges between 14.3 and 13.0 volts. I read how you have to throw the batter in and not touch it for 8hours to have the bcm learn the charge state so it can work properly. If not done, it will never charge it like a new battery. And read on other sites that driving the car normal with time the bcm will reset itself if there is no problems. Who is correct? Apparently you have to use a ford scan tool to reset it. Now im worried. Lol

Ahh ok. I went ahead and did the procedure that i posted. It did something though. The voltage is higher now. Before it would get charged between 12.7 and 13.8. Now its charging between 13.9 and 14.6. So i think it did something. I ended up going to the car wash. Unplugged the battery and detailed the car for like a hour. Then pluggedcthe battery and did the steps.

Anyone think this is normal charging? I think it is on new charging system. Now that it has settled from programing this is what i got this morning after driving for 1 hour. Averages 13.9v. Yesterday it went asfar as 14.7v amd never dipped past 14v. This morning is a different story. But i recall this voltage being normal on these systems.

post-26104-0-19646500-1430408171_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is truly amazing what lengths car manufacturers take to try and increase the fuel mileage. On my Chevrolet Traverse the alternator varies from 11 volts to just over 14 volts. It is some type of special programming to prevent the alternator from always being under load. It monitors your present driving and the state of the battery, and determines when to charge it and when not to. Somehow this helps with MPG.

Ā 

How it really helps, I don't understand. Heck, the alternator is spinning anyhow with the serpentine belt all the time. Maybe it's similar to the A/C compressor free spinning when the A/C isn't on?

It is truly amazing what lengths car manufacturers take to try and increase the fuel mileage. On my Chevrolet Traverse the alternator varies from 11 volts to just over 14 volts. It is some type of special programming to prevent the alternator from always being under load. It monitors your present driving and the state of the battery, and determines when to charge it and when not to. Somehow this helps with MPG.

Ā 

How it really helps, I don't understand. Heck, the alternator is spinning anyhow with the serpentine belt all the time. Maybe it's similar to the A/C compressor free spinning when the A/C isn't on?

Ā 

The same way the pulley for the A/C compressor is always spinning but only engages when necessary.

Ā 

It's like the difference between spinning a car wheel with it in neutral versus in gear. In neutral there is virtually no load so it's not robbing any power from the engine. When engaged it's robbing torque.

Ā 

i don't think the battery being regulated gives you better mpg. Butb then again. . Regulating it to create a sufficient spark on a old plugs can give u good mpg. But on a healthy engine, i don't see it doing much. I could be wrong.

Ā 

The same way the pulley for the A/C compressor is always spinning but only engages when necessary.

Ā 

It's like the difference between spinning a car wheel with it in neutral versus in gear. In neutral there is virtually no load so it's not robbing any power from the engine. When engaged it's robbing torque.

i think the alternator is still old style. Always spins. What regulates the voltage is the pcm with the bcm.

i think the alternator is still old style. Always spins. What regulates the voltage is the pcm with the bcm.

Ā 

The pulley spins but the load on the engine is varied, otherwise there would be no fuel savings possible. Not sure how they accomplish it - gearing? It's definitely mechanical.

The battery voltage on my '07 (not on a "smart" system like the 2011+) is reading about 13.9 - 14.4 when the Edge is running, rarely if ever above or below. The battery IS new, put it in a couple of months ago.

that's interesting. I used to have a 08 vue, that charged at 3.7 average and fluctuated between 12.5 to 15.5. I thought it was a bad xharging system. Dealer said its normal for this smart charging system. I guess every car manufacturer has its own thing.

• 2 months later...