Brake Pads cutting deep notch into Rotors?

About 2 years ago I replaced the front pads & rotors on my 2007 AWD edge with the upper end generics from Advance Auto. Lately I noticed the driver side seems to be sticking a little bit. I took apart the driver side brake caliper last night thinking all I would need to do is regrease the sliders (which worked – seemingly the brake stop sticking during my morning commute).

However, I noticed something very strange, the inner pad has a long curved section that isn’t wearing down (see the first attached picture). The area that isn’t wearing is creating a large notch, or peak on the inner pad. Correspondingly, this notch is creating a deep groove in the rotor itself (see the second two attached pictures). Have any of your folks seen this before? It’s happening on both sides of the car. The pads and the rotors have plenty of life left, but I’m worried about what happens when this groove cuts down and exposes the rotor vents themselves. In the future I maybe it’s better to stick with Motorcraft than with Advance Auto brand?

post-18533-0-28261400-1431535391_thumb.jpg

post-18533-0-43688900-1431535411_thumb.jpg

post-18533-0-31316000-1431535425_thumb.jpg

Whoa! Never seen or heard of anything like this before. Most likely a manufacturing defect in the pad, I think. Too even to have been caused by anything else. And that's some pretty HARD material to have caused rotor damage like that. I would think Advance Auto would replace at least the pads if not the rotors as well once you show them the pics.

Motorcraft rotors are fine, I'd get aftermarket pads though, like Hawk or EBC or Porterfield etc.

A lot of the time the pads and maybe even the rotors are warrantied. Depending on where you bought them and other things like time and miles. If it was a shop install it would actually be cheaper to just buy new rotors and pads and do it yourself as most likely the shop will charge you astronomical labor to change out a 30 dollar set of pads. I have not made a brake video yet. Just takes too long for me to wear them out.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely be replacing everything. What is the best aftermarket pad? Also what do you mean "shoot for the warranty parts" on this?

Edited by macbwt

looks like someone in the pad factory emptied the garbage can into the mixing vat. (big piece of metal not little flakes.) Can you dig into the pad when you remove them and pull the junk out. It would be interesting to see what the hell they dropped in. Yuuuup Chinese quality control.