Class II Two Package and Hands Free Liftgate

alzakx

Well my dealer called and we are going to put on a ford hitch on my sport mid next week. I'll post up pics after it is insalled and if it affect the handsfree lift gate. fingers crossed.

Did they installed the Ford hitch on your Sport? Please post pictures.

The liftgate on my Titanium with Ford factory installed hitch has worked perfectly. I have tried opening the liftgate with my foot on both sides of the hitch with no problem. I did notice you have to put your foot under and straight back out not waving it back and forth. Loving having this Edge! The drive is so comfortable, smooth and quiet.

post-34980-0-20860900-1434755817_thumb.jpg
post-34980-0-47493600-1434755897_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody with a Sport get a hitch installed yet (besides the curt one that has the bar sticking out across the bottom..)? I wanted one that's hidden as much as possible. I don't actually care so much for tow capacity as I only wanna use it for a bike rack.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having issues with hitch wiring. Dealer let me take it to a trailer guy & they said it had the wrong relay. When they checked they found a relay that works for every new Edge except Titanium which is what I have. Does anyone know what they had used for a wire harness? Starting to really feel screwed around over the whole hitch thing.

• 8 months later...

I know this is old, but I just bought my Ford Edge Titanium with the tow package. I don't know about everyone else, but my hands free liftgate is a pain in the butt to get working. I literally have to sit and sway my foot for 10 seconds before it even works. I can't imagine doing this with hands full of groceries.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Titanium with Factory Tow package and the Hand Free Liftgate works great. Almost 100% success with a proper 'kick.'

Imagine there was a 12"x12" invisible box on either side of the Tow receiver. While standing behind the Edge with the key fob, Kick straight through that invisible box and then pull your foot back. Make sure that your entire foot and part of your shin extend under the rear bumper. The liftgate should open. Use the same motion to close it.

For your first month of ownership you should try the feature in various situations to understand how to use it. The feature can be really handy and I use it all the time.

I added an aftermarket Hidden Hitch to our 2016 MKX and it doesn't seem to block the liftgate sensor at all. No problems kicking on either side of the receiver.

On our 2014 Escape it did block a lot of the sensor, but there was still a spot next to the exhaust that worked every time.