Installation of Resistors For LED Switchbacks - Which Wires ???

I've purchased the HP24 switchbacks from my front turn signals from Diode Dynamics. Before ordering, I asked them how many "sets" of 2 resistors I needed for the install and they advised 1 "set" which is what i ordered.

Upon receiving the bulbs and the resistors, I went to their website and viewed the installation video which showed them installing resistors on both the hot wire AND the ground. I emailed them and asked them about this and, in all honesty, their response was rather cryptic. I asked for clarification by asking very specific and directive questions and their response did not answer my question. As such, I'm going to toss it out here.

For each signal, there are 3 wires - 1 ground and 2 hot (due to the bulbs being dual filament). Therefore, there are 6 wires at play (3 for each signal) yet I only have 2 resistors to install, In order to eliminate hyper flickering which 2 wires to I need to install the resistors on with the attached wire taps? Thanks in advance for the clarification !!!

Each resistor has two connections. One side gets connected to the "hot" (power) wire of the turn signal socket and the other side goes to the ground wire. This puts the resistor electrically in parallel with the turn signal "filament" (circuit) of the LED bulb. On the left side the T/S power wire is blue/green and the ground is black/green. On the right side the T/S power wire is yellow/purple and the ground is black/grey.

The third wire (yellow/blue) at the socket is for the parking/running lights and is not connected to the resistor in any way. It is not needed because the parking/running lights do not flash.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

Hello guys,

in the link above he replaced the turn signal with switchback without any resistors. I really want to do the same. but I have a problem that when I searched for the type of the bulb (3157) I found two categories STANDARD base and CK base.

can anyone please tell me which one would work on the EDGE 2013 without resistors.

Thank you so much

You need standard base for any Ford vehicle. CK base is used mostly in Toyotas and has the ground pins assigned in different positions. If you install a CK base bulb in a standard socket you will cause a dead short that, if you're lucky, will only blow a fuse.

As far as being able to use them without resistors, that's mostly a matter of luck. Some vehicles are not as sensitive to the reduced current draw of LED bulbs and some LEDs bulb draw somewhat more current than others. If you happen to have a less-sensitive vehicle and you happen to get bulbs that draw more current then you might not need resistors. But the vast majority of people will need resistors for load balancing. It's not a big deal and I really don't understand why people are so reluctant to use them. They cost very little and are extremely easy to install. And don't try to justify it by claiming not to affect warranty... merely installing LED bulbs in place of the factory incandescent bulbs already affects the warranty on your lights, signals and related parts. If you have a problem with your signals later, the dealer can easily refuse warranty coverage because of the LEDs. Using resistors is the right way to avoid possible problems down the road.

• Like 2

I installed these same switchbacks in my 2011 edge with no resistors. I think that the ones I have might have had the resistor built into them idk, and ExNascarDood basically the resistor makes the LEDs appear to have the same load or resistance as a normal "filament" bulb. Something that the flasher relay needs for its flashing function. Its used as a safety indicator for when I bulb is burned out. They flash much faster OR don't at all.

In my case, I still (for now) have "normal" bulbs in the rear end and THIS might be why I didn't have an issue with no resisters when I converted to the switch backs up front. This might change when I install the bright lights upgraded light pods in the rear end. But I don't think so.

Also a possible option but only if you're replacing all turn signals to LEDs would be, they have LED flasher relays that are designed to work with LEDs versus filament bulbs.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello guys,

in the link above he replaced the turn signal with switchback without any resistors. I really want to do the same. but I have a problem that when I searched for the type of the bulb (3157) I found two categories STANDARD base and CK base.

can anyone please tell me which one would work on the EDGE 2013 without resistors.

Thank you so much

Apologies in advance for the necrobump of this thread. It would be my luck that that the link would be dead. Greatly appreciated if someone can shoot me the updated link. I have been to VLEDs site but the bulbs range from 30-150 and I'd rather not reinvent the wheel and buy a few pairs till I got it sorted out. Thanks in advance.

You need standard bulbs. If you can find type 1 switchbacks (Amber/white/Amber) for turn signals), you won't need a resistor.

Most switchbacks are type 2 (turn signal is Amber/off/Amber) and require a resistor.

Not sure why everyone is against resistors. Using scotchlocks, it takes 5 minutes to install.

You need standard bulbs. If you can find type 1 switchbacks (Amber/white/Amber) for turn signals), you won't need a resistor.

Most switchbacks are type 2 (turn signal is Amber/off/Amber) and require a resistor.

Not sure why everyone is against resistors. Using scotchlocks, it takes 5 minutes to install.

Thanks for the info. I haven't decided on type 1 or type 2. I'm not opposed to using resistors. I was hoping for a updated link for the bulbs (it didn't have to be from vleds, just something that someone had purchased recently) because there seems to be a lot of choices available. Thanks once again.

I recognize that part number ("3157_60_SMT_WA") as one that is used by autolumination.com. I've bought from them numerous times. Their product is good (generally better than eBay or local auto parts stores) but not top of the line. You can find their line of switchbacks here: http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html. The part number refers to a 3157 tower style, white-amber (Type 1) switchback bulb with 60 "Surface Mount Technology" LEDs. They're listed in the third section down the page along with 92-LED and 120-LED versions.

The two CREE bulbs above them are extremely bright but won't look as good in the Edge housings because they only use the white LEDs on the tip in parking/running light mode. That will make it look like a pinpoint light that doesn't fill the lamp reflector well (watch the animation to see what I mean). The SMT tower bulbs use white and amber LEDs on the end and all around the outside to better simulate the light dispersion of an incandescent bulb.

• Like 2

I recognize that part number ("3157_60_SMT_WA") as one that is used by autolumination.com. I've bought from them numerous times. Their product is good (generally better than eBay or local auto parts stores) but not top of the line. You can find their line of switchbacks here: http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html. The part number refers to a 3157 tower style, white-amber (Type 1) switchback bulb with 60 "Surface Mount Technology" LEDs. They're listed in the third section down the page along with 92-LED and 120-LED versions.

The two CREE bulbs above them are extremely bright but won't look as good in the Edge housings because they only use the white LEDs on the tip in parking/running light mode. That will make it look like a pinpoint light that doesn't fill the lamp reflector well (watch the animation to see what I mean). The SMT tower bulbs use white and amber LEDs on the end and all around the outside to better simulate the light dispersion of an incandescent bulb.

:worship: Thanks for transcribing the part number into laymen terms. I did not know what the individual parts of the part number meant. The site you linked me to has a ton of diff options on one page. I wonder if they bothered taking a look at it before launching it. Took me a while to find the ones you referenced. My choices are either the ones from autolumination or Dan at Daytimebrightlights.

But to be honest the more and more I look at the front of my edge I'm not sure if they're something I want or something I need. I needed brighter headlights so I did the HID and DRL and Puddle lights from Dan. Apart from the aesthetics there doesn't seem to be any benefit from changing the bulbs. Its something that I may do in the future but right now I think the idea is on the shelf. Thanks once again for taking the time to break down the part number.

I've tried many switchbacks, from vled, eBay and Amazon.. All eventually had an issue in less than 6 months.

I switched to diode dynamics and have been very happy with them so far:

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs/listed-by-vehicle/ford/edge/2011-2013-ford-edge-front-turn-signal-leds-pair

You just put another option on the table. Do you have any pics with your lights? Its a shame that the amber white swithcbacks are out of stock. At $40 for the pair. ($10 for the resistors and $30 for the bulbs. I may have pulled the trigger. Thanks for sharing your view.

• 3 weeks later...