Post 15B21 leak repair follow up report

We went to two dealerships....both were of no help brutal Sara B......I didnt get any action til the customer rep from here got involved.....Keep trying.....ford ended up buying back our Edge sport and then gave us a brand new one.

cds71,

Ford has offered to buy it back!!!! I am waiting on my customer offer letter to arrive so I can begin the processes but I am feeling a little nervous about it....I so how always seem to get a rotten deal and I am hopping that doesn't happen this time!

How many miles were on the one they bought back and did you get the same year as your last one? I really don't want another 2015 just in case.....Any advice you have would be awesome! Or anything I should be careful of?

I was at the Chicago Auto this past Sunday and went to the Ford booth and asked if I could talk to someone from Detroit. I talked to a fellow named Pat.

I got a 2015 Ford Edge Titanium the end of March 2015 and it was built on 2/25/15 so it was within the original 2/28/15 build cutoffs.

All I wanted from him was someone to talk to that could tell me what happened in the Oakville, Canada plant that caused all the problems and what has happened

since, stop sales and all. I got my letter in June and brought it in to the dealer as soon as I got it.

Basically what he told me was that I don't have the problem so why am I so concerned. I did not like his attitude and if that is the impression Ford is projecting

this will be my first and last Ford. I am 70 years old and have bought probably 10-15 new cars in my lifetime.

I told him that if Mulcahy was still the CEO I do not thing Ford would have that attitude towards customers. I know you should not judge a company by some of it's

people but I would think the most senior person at the Chicago Auto Show would have been different.

Sincerely,

Frank Ciasnocha

He is right, to a point at least. What happened in the plant is proprietary and not something that any mfr is going to share publicly. And if it didn't affect your vehicle then why do you need to know other than simple curiosity? Maybe he could have worded it more nicely but I certainly wouldn't hold that against Ford especially if it came from someone at an auto show.

I think you're missing the point. That particular problem could occur at any time on any vehicle at any plant. And it probably does - the only difference is they usually find it before it leaves the plant. The only time you hear about it is when they have to recall already sold vehicles or issue a stop sale order.

Well, supposed to pick up our new '15 Edge SEL replacement Thursday night. Our '15 SEL was a January or very early February build and was picked up late May, never leaked a drop of water, had the recall performed mid-September, got 2 inches of rain one night two weeks later, had inch of water on driver's floor, had car repaired a second time, carpeting was damp after a light shower the next day. Dealer worked hard to get my buy-back approved.

The new Edge has a couple options we couldn't find last spring, like navigation, power lift gate, towing pkg, and remote garage door opener. And it's a September build so shouldn't leak!

Did you have to pay for the additional options?

Edited by Sara B

• 1 month later...

Bought a 2015 edge on March 10th. 2 days ago the driver side floor was soaked. Took it to local dealer and it is now in the shop. No idea how bad it is but after 2 1/2 hours I was put in a rental. Contacted dealer today and asked why it wasnt caught by them. I was emailed the below showing that sealer was applied last June. I dont know if it just now started leaking but the dealer said they will work with us on whatever is needed. I am trying to find out how bad the shop thinks it is.

28-JUNE-2015

DEALER: Avis RAC - Dallas

WARRANTY CLAIM NUMBER: 849661

ODOMETER: 005421M

PART NUMBER

PART DESCRIPTION

QUANTITY

LABOR OP

CONDITION CODE

CONDITION DESC

15B21A

MENDEZ, $5.00 - CHECK AND FOUND NO LEAK. APPLY URETHANE SEAM SEALER TO BOTH A PILER. LABOR OP 15B21A.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard of the 2015 Edge being able to upgrade to Sync 3 in September. I saw an email that said that last month. Maybe they are doing it on the 2015 Edge because of these problems. Is there anyone from Ford on this forum to verify this? If not I am trading mine in with 12,000 miles and taking a big loss on it. I took mine into the dealer 2 weeks ago with about 10 issues on it and they found nothing. They said they loaded the latest version of all the software and I was supposed to watch for them happening again.

No plans announced yet. I've heard that it does have the new hardware and that it does not - my guess is it does not and you won't be able to do a simple software upgrade. If you want to double check look up the screen part number for the 2015 and 2016 on fordparts.com.

• 9 months later...

I recently noticed that my car got wet when it rained overnight so I took it the dealer and the ran their tests. When they were done I was told that they couldn't find out where it was leaking from and sent me on my way. No fix for me yet which means I'll have to reach out to corporate in the hopes that someone can help me.

• 1 year later...

Just bought a 2015 Ford Edge SEL. 28K miles. Last 4 of VIN 08784. Next morning noticed major condensation on the windshield and moon roof interior. Did some web searching and came across the 15B21 article. Checked my floor and yup, soaking wet. 2nd row driver side also wet. Passenger side dry. I feel like this is going to be a nightmare. Ford closed this fix in 2016. Why???? My great warranty that covers everything from the dealer supposedly doesn't cover leaks. I cant return the car. The dealer said they will fix it, but I don't think they realize what they have to do to fix it. Plus its a Cadillac dealer I bought the car from. So they will probably send it to ford. Then ford will give them the nice invoice. Will the dealer cover it? That's the question. I'm going to contact some lemon law attorneys to have a back up plan. I will update the thread when I get more info.

Edited by Crazyczech

As I recall the "after initial assembly" fix was a crapshoot, with chances pretty slim that a complete "fix" was possible. I guess you will have to go through whatever process is offered and get legal help when it is required. Maybe a good first step is to see if this vehicle was recalled for 15B21 and if any attempt was made to remedy the issue. I suspect there are a fair number of these 2015's out there with this same problem. Sorry to hear that you happened to buy one. Good luck and keep us posted on experience going forward.

• Like 1