Rubbing noise from front when turning left or right

kaushen79

Hey guys - so I have encountered by first issue with my edge (2015 Titanium).

There is a rubbing noise when I turn either way when driving, but this only happens after I have driven on the highway for more then 30mins.... so something is heating up and causing the issue.

Took off the wheels to see if I can see anything and there aren't any rub marks. Took it to my Ford dealer and they inspected and failed to come up with anything - only thing they noted was a brake clip was loose. They said they were not able to replicate the noise. I told them that its after a long period of driving, so not sure if they even drove it for that long.

In any case, coming home from work (taking the highway) the noise started again so I drove right in the bay and told the mechanic there to listen....he heard it. Dropped to his knees and inspected - said that it was the rubber boot making the noise - but said they can't fix it until they talk to Ford. WTF? Service Manager came and said that Ford is very anal about the 2015 Edge's and that they have to file a letter with the Ford and wait for a response within 5 business days. That is the directives they got and have to follow protocol.

Anyone else experience the same noise or same story from their dealer?

• Like 1

I was going to post about this same issue tonight. On a few occassions as you said after I have driven for a while and then turn right or left I hear a rubbing/almost squealing noise. I am going to call the dealership this week. It does sound like some sort of stearing issue to me. - 2015 Titanium AWD ~1500 miles.

I was going to post about this same issue tonight. On a few occassions as you said after I have driven for a while and then turn right or left I hear a rubbing/almost squealing noise. I am going to call the dealership this week. It does sound like some sort of stearing issue to me. - 2015 Titanium AWD ~1500 miles.

That is exactly it! Rubbing/squeaking noise.

For those with the issue, what wheels and tires do you have?

As for my tires - 245/50R20 Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2

I have the standard tires and wheels on the Titanium AWD - 245/55R19 A/S V-Rated II

As for my tires - 245/50R20 Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2

The reason I asked is I had a car that would make a rubbing/groaning noise when I would turn. Turns out it was the tire shifting on the wheel. Once I swapped out tires, the noise went away. But it looks like that isn't the case here.

Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

Hey all, just received a call from the dealership - said that they just heard back from Ford. The issue (ford says) is caused by moisture underneath the rubber boot covering the cvt joint. They instructed my dealership that at my 10k service they are to spray it with a synthetic lubricant - apparently that should sort it out. According to them this isn't a safety issue.

I'll update as to what the outcome is - I'm scheduled to go to the shop on the 11th of august.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, so I had the Edge in for the service - they followed the instructions that Ford sent them and sprayed all 8 cv joints with the lubricant - drove to work the next day and the same sound was coming - so clearly not the rubber boots that are causing the issue. They have send another letter into Ford - not sure what to do at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

It's Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally - there are no issues with my vehicle now.

I was in St. Andrews Scotland for a week and left the Edge with Ford to sort out - came back and it was fixed!

The annoying noise is gone. Turns out that the tech used a lithium lubricant on the CV boot and joints and not the silicone lubricant that he should have used. This time they replicated the noise, sprayed the silicone lub and now its perfect.

Hopefully those that have the same issue can not get their fixed too.

• Like 1

It's Fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally - there are no issues with my vehicle now.

I was in St. Andrews Scotland for a week and left the Edge with Ford to sort out - came back and it was fixed!

The annoying noise is gone. Turns out that the tech used a lithium lubricant on the CV boot and joints and not the silicone lubricant that he should have used. This time they replicated the noise, sprayed the silicone lub and now its perfect.

Hopefully those that have the same issue can not get their fixed too.

So is this something that will pop up again once the lubricant wears off?

• 4 weeks later...

I had the exact same issue, and it's driving me f'ng insane. I took it to the dealer (showed them this thread) and though I had to be a bit aggressive to get it fixed, they did everything recommended above. They acknowledged that the noise was heard and even suggested that this above-mentioned fix didn't necessarily solve it, though they did perform it. They said they had to do other fixes (details were hazy) to solve it. I drove it out, and it was ok for a few days.

The noise reappeared, BUT WORSE, yesterday.

I am so f'ng pissed right now, and though I don't want to have to do this, I might have to commence lemon law proceedings. I am a lawyer (though not in this field) but don't have the time for this BS anymore.

The dealer was very good -- but not great. I'm probably going back there for another round tomorrow just out of courtesy to Ford, though I'm sure they're getting pissed at me now.

So took my Edge in on Tuesday, just picked it back up today... they said they did not hear any noises and they cannot do anything if they don't hear it. I also let them know I had condensation in the left rear tail light housing after washing it and spraying etc. at home again, it rained all day yesterday and they said it was dry. Also, started having a grinding noise in the front passenger wheel after going on a roadtrip and they didn't hear that either. I did get a rental for the 2 days covered - they said because I had an extended warranty Ford covers a rental. I'm not happy about it not being fixed and driving back and forth to dealer and... being without MY car for 2 days ;) ! Please let me know if you have these issued, have had them fixed and / or if there is a campaign or anything I can mention to my dealer.

• 5 years later...