2011 drain and refill trans

fishx65

• 6 months later...

I'll be doing for first fluid change on the tranny with 91k. I had an aftermarket cooler attached and wanted to use the return or supply line to pump old fluid into bucket after I drain fluid from the plug. Does anyone know which line is supply and return on cooler? Are there special clamp tools needed?

Thanks,

Pat

Why have you chosen this method. It is the most difficult. Drain and refill or just have the fluid pumped with a transmission fluid machine (140-150 dollars) and done. Releasing connections always adds an unknown factor. However if you are happiest with doing this.....It is your choice. Not saying it is a wrong way to perform the task, just the most difficult.

• 4 months later...

Finally getting around to doing a quick drain and refill on the 2011 SEL. Took a good look at everything tonight and it looks really simple. The 2011 has a dipstick down in front of the motor and the drain plug is obvious and easy to reach. Not quite sure how much will drain from a 2011 so I'm gonna measure how much comes out. I picked up 6 quarts of LV which I hope will be enough. I also noticed that a really long funnel will be required for the refill. Not gonna make a super cool Mercy Girl/Mac video but I'll post up how it goes tomorrow.:)

• Like 1

OK, just got her drained. After getting a better look at the drain plug, there is another identical plug about 3 inches above it. I'm thinking you just remove the upper plug and fill with fluid until it seeps out this hole ( just like a differential). Not 100% sure about this so I'm still just gonna add the same amount I took out tonight. Really easy access to these plugs so it's not a big deal to do a quick drain and refill once in a while.

Update: Took just under 5 qts and the old fluid was brown instead of bright pink. Wish I would have started doing the drain and refill thing a lot earlier. It's actually easier then changing the engine oil!!!!!

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 1

I am a little confused here. You do have a 3.5 with the 6F50 trans right? There should be a dipstick for checking fluid level. And yes, it must be checked with engine running, and trans at operating temperature (around 180F). This is why it is important to measure how much you drain out so you fill pretty much the same amount in, assuming original level before D/F was correct.

If you really wanted to change out the fluid, you could set up a continuous drain/fill so new fluid is drawn in while the old fluid is drawn out, and work through the gears while that happens, always ending in PARK. Do have to be careful to not let the new fluid bucket go dry, and use a deep pan for the old fluid.

The 6F35 does have a fluid level check plug/hole.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W