Installing new HID on existing HID Edge

Hey everyone,

So I just recently purchased a 2015 Edge Titanium that comes with HIDs. Now my question is: Does anyone know if the HID bulbs are easily able to be swapped out? The reason I ask is because I cannot say that I am completely content with the light output of the current factory HIDs. I am not sure what K they are but have a slight yellowish tint in them. I had the same issue and complaint when on my previous car which was a Mazda 6 GT 2014. Unfortunately on that vehicle in order for my two swap out the HID's i had to go through a lot of trouble which i chose not do. I was looking to see if maybe this car was easier to just change out the current bulb and put in a 5000K bulb instead. Thanks for any help!!

I have to agree that the factory HID's aren't great. Since we live in a more rural area, we don't even consider a car unless is has HID or LED headlights.

I have a Caddy and BMW, both with HIDs, and they are absolutely better in every way than the Ford units. It looks like our Edges use D3S size bulbs, so I may pickup a set of Osrams from theretrofitsource.com even though they are not cheap!

I'd love to take a look under the hood of my edge to see how difficult it looks to replace bulbs, but unfortunately it has a water leak, and has been at the dealer all week :( If I ever get it back I will take a look.

Factory HIDs (ALL factory HIDs) are in the 4100K - 4300K range of color temperature which is considered the most effective color for overall light output. It is a "warm" white (including a little yellow) but it provides more effective light than the higher color temperatures. This is because the higher temps start tending toward the blue end of the spectrum and the human eye is not good at handling blue light - it gets interpreted as glare. 5000K is consider pure white while 6000K is "ice" or "diamond" white with blue tones. By the time you get above 8000K (light blue), you might as well stick with halogen for all the effective light you'll get.

So 5000K may seem like it's "brighter" but it actually doesn't help you see any better. If you want the most effective lighting, stick with the factory color temp. If you're concerned more about appearance then go ahead and get whiter capsules but don't fool yourself into thinking it's better lighting.

• Like 4

Honestly, I have not tried an Edge with HID, but since my brother's 2012 Explorer Limited & a friends 2013 Explorer Limited both have factory HID, I can see considerable difference between their light output & my factory 2011 HID on the MKX. I would say that the projectors Ford uses on their Ford vehicles are worse than what is used in the Lincoln.

Ford products (especially Mustangs) seem to have very poor factory aim of their headlights. Getting them properly aimed can make a huge difference in how effective your lighting appears. Most often they are aimed too low which reduces the distance you can see but having them aimed too high is just as bad because the light is misdirected above where you're looking, not to mention how much it annoys other drivers.

I have 5000k bulbs in my mazda 3 and yes they are more whitish bluish and give me the same visibility my ford edge does but looks better. It's exactly what I'm looking for cause I hate the yellow tinot in the factory HID. So my original question was can I just simply swap out the existing HID with another one?

I have 5000k bulbs in my mazda 3 and yes they are more whitish bluish and give me the same visibility my ford edge does but looks better. It's exactly what I'm looking for cause I hate the yellow tinot in the factory HID. So my original question was can I just simply swap out the existing HID with another one?

Yes, a D3S capsule is an industry standard part number so you can use whichever one you find. They range from about $85 per pair to over $300 per pair depending on brand name. This is one of those cases where it's not a good idea to go with the cheap ones - they generally have problems with longevity and color stability.

did 6000K on my 2014 from daytimebrightlites.com...would highly recommend them.

Come to full brightness in 5 seconds as compared to the 30-60 seconds of others...install was easy....

Contact Dan.....

He's talking about replacing factory HID capsules not doing a conversion from halogen. Dan sells conversion kits.

Ok thank you everyone for the input. I will take pictures tomorrow of the stock HID and also check to see how easy it is going to be to take out the stock ones and replace them with new ones. I am more than likely going to purchase 5000K from retrofitsource as i have purchased from them prior and their products were good. I will post pictures once i manage to do the upgrade.

Don't know of anyone who's running any LEDs for the 2015, but GNERGY has vLED's product for his Edge, I have EBay TXT LEDs for mine. Very doable.

You have LED headlight bulbs installed on your edge? Do you see a big difference between LED and HID? And do you have the link where you got yours? Thanks.

Mine's a 2007, so it was a dropin replacement for halogen OEMs. Didn't/don't have to worry about projectors/cutoffs etc. like with HIDs in my application. Very different from the 2015 setup. They do work very well for me, unfortunately I didn't have a color choice at the time of purchase, so I am stuck with 6000K lighting. Would have gotten 4300K or 5000K if available. $160 in all for 4 bulbs (high beams, low beams).

I have V-LED LMZ LED headlights in my Mustang and they work great. Light output seems equivalent to HID and like all LEDs, they come on at full brightness instantly and they seem to have more consistent and accurate color temperature.

However, they are somewhat pointless in this discussion because they're designed for halogen conversion and nobody makes them to fit an HID D3S housing.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 1

I have V-LED LMZ LED headlights in my Mustang and they work great. Light output seems equivalent to HID and like all LEDs, they come on at full brightness instantly and they seem to have more consistent and accurate color temperature.

However, they are somewhat pointless in this discussion because they're designed for halogen conversion and nobody makes them to fit an HID D3S housing.

Oh ok I see. I actually have seen them for the D3S housing. Funny as it may seem i saw them on Alibaba.com which is why I asked if anyone had them and if they were worth getting over HID. One reason being is because the HID bulbs (at least a good name brand) for our Edge runs a little over 200 dollars. If i cannot find any other alternative I will buy them soon and see how they look. I will be doing HID change out soon as I hate the stock HIDs lol.