Engine no power brake power loss

Ckobaya1

i was driving on the freeway about 45 miles an hour when my 2011 edge loss throttle power and brakes stiffened up luckily I safely was able to pull off of road. I got towed to ford dealership and they said they can't figure out code and have to charge $1000 to open up engine to diagnose what's wrong? I read similar reports pointing to throttle body but they said they don't think it's the problem? I owe money on loan and can't afford to have $1000 just to tell me what's wrong? I feel that this is fords issue because I have kept oil changed under regular maintenance and no sign of overheat? What can I do?

Sorry to hear, glad you are OK. How many miles do you have on your Edge, any warranty remaining? If an emissions defect can be proven, there is emissions warranty coverage (7/70?) that you might be able to fall back on.

I would suspect throttle body failure also. Unfortunately, there is no TSB out for the Edge like there is for the Fusion. And very often, the symptoms occur randomly, at least at first, so it is hard to duplicate for the service shop.

You can a) replace the throttle body yourself (a very DIY job), buy parts at discount from Levittown or from EBay, and keep the receipt for possible future reimbursement, and/or b] contact FordService on here with a case number from your Ford dealer to see what they can do to help you out.

Post 4 more posts here to get PM privileges. Then PM FordService with vehicle & situation details to get the ball rolling.

You can always go to another garage to get the diagnosis. If it turns out to be the TB the good news is you can repair it yourself in 15-20 minutes as it is almost as easy as changing your air filter. (not quite but very simple parts swap)

i was driving on the freeway about 45 miles an hour when my 2011 edge loss throttle power and brakes stiffened up luckily I safely was able to pull off of road. I got towed to ford dealership and they said they can't figure out code and have to charge $1000 to open up engine to diagnose what's wrong? I read similar reports pointing to throttle body but they said they don't think it's the problem? I owe money on loan and can't afford to have $1000 just to tell me what's wrong? I feel that this is fords issue because I have kept oil changed under regular maintenance and no sign of overheat? What can I do?

Cannot be cleaned, needs to be replaced, as it is an electronic failure in the TB controller triggering the "failsafe". The electronic part (potentiometer) is available separately for the 2007-2010 9T4Z-9B989-A, unfortunately I do not see one for the 2011+ (maybe it's called something else?). You could try MAF/electronics cleaner on it in case it IS just dirt buildup (like the door latches).

No way to provide evidence one way or the other on a working TB, unfortunately. But a clean TB will behave like it is told to, at least!

EDIT: As far as I can confirm, 2011+ potentiometers/throttle body sensors for the 3.5L are part number 9T4Z-9B989-B, or Motorcraft DY-1286.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=IAhDc0KM68Y9KaulEbOtnw%3d%3d&id=327309175&m=44&search=true

Images may not be the exact part, but give you an idea:

post-23566-0-17624300-1441702114_thumb.jpg

post-23566-0-93124100-1441702215_thumb.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

i was driving on the freeway about 45 miles an hour when my 2011 edge loss throttle power and brakes stiffened up luckily I safely was able to pull off of road...

You can a) replace the throttle body yourself (a very DIY job), buy parts at discount from Levittown or from EBay, and keep the receipt for possible future reimbursement, and/or b] contact FordService on here with a case number from your Ford dealer to see what they can do to help you out...

You can always go to another garage to get the diagnosis...

Welcome to the community, Ckobaya1! :)

As WWWPerfA_ZN0W stated, my name is Tricia. I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns. Also, you are welcome to seek a second opinion, like macbwt suggested. You can find a dealer here.

In the meantime, what’s the mileage on your vehicle? I’ll be happy to check my resources on this end!

If it is the throttle body, can it be cleaned or does it need to be replaced at this point?...

fishx65,

Let me look into this further. Is your vehicle experiencing the same symptoms? If so, which year is your Edge? Also, what’s the mileage?

Tricia

Edited by FordService

As WWW stated you can clean the mechanical s, but the electronics tend to be the failure point. I cleaned mine but I do not have an electronic failure as it was just dirty. If you want to clean it just do this.

If it is the throttle body, can it be cleaned or does it need to be replaced at this point? I ask because I've been thinking of cleaning mine. Can keeping it clean prevent a failure?????