Brakes making noise

h0tr0d

My 07 Edge SEL Plus FWD has started making a groaning noise at low speeds when braking. Usually this only happens when the car has not been driven for a while. The brakes work fine but the noise doesn't sound good. It almost sounds like the ABS is coming on but there is no vibration in the brake pedal. We had the dealer look at it at the first service but couldn't reproduce the sound. Anybody have a similar issue with their Edge?

My 07 Edge SEL Plus FWD has started making a groaning noise at low speeds when braking. Usually this only happens when the car has not been driven for a while. The brakes work fine but the noise doesn't sound good. It almost sounds like the ABS is coming on but there is no vibration in the brake pedal. We had the dealer look at it at the first service but couldn't reproduce the sound. Anybody have a similar issue with their Edge?

Hi h0te0d. :D It is likely the following: When you have not driven your car for awhile (even just overnight), a light coat of "surface rust" will develop on the brake rotors. The wetter the environment, the more rust there will be. When the car is first driven with this layer of surface rust, the first few applications of the brakes will wipe this rust off the rotors. When this happens, the brakes will seem to rumble or vibrate. This is normal.

If this only seems to happen the first few times you apply the brakes, and then it disappears, this is the most likely cause.

If it continues during the day as you are driving, that would not be normal, and there is something else causing the noise.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

On the test drive of my Edge, I told the salesman that I feel a vibration when I jump on the brake pedal. Only moderate pressure on the brake pressure didn't cause an issue. He stated it was the rust on the rotor, from the car sitting. Wouldn't that light rust be gone after a few stops? That's what was thinking. Anyway, after taking it in, turned out to be warped front rotors. They just turned them and all is well.

• 2 weeks later...

My 08 makes a groaning noise from the rear brakes when applied lightly to moderately. Also noticable when backing up. Dealer says they cannot find any problem, that is has been reported before and I should expect it to go away by 5000 miles. At 2100 no change so far.

• 1 month later...

we had almost the same problem only worse.

the wheels and the brakes getting hot i mean hot.

do not believe a word they are saying,about close

tolerances,it is all bullshit.

somewhere is a switch which tells the computer they are off

when they are still applied.the brake-pads.

after the noise comes the heat,after that comes WHEEL-OFF.

peter in mexiko

I dropped mine off at the service department today. (08 with 3000 miles). The noise from the brakes has gotten so loud I scared a pedestrian.

Did the dealership fix the problem for you? How long did it take for the sound to get that loud? I'm also hearing noise when I apply the brakes but it has not gotten very loud yet. I have a 2007 Edge SEL that I purchased this year in Feb. The brake noise is the loudest in the morning or when it has been parked for maybe 3 hours. Normally, 9 out of 10 times when I have taken my Edge in for service the dealership states they were not able to duplicate there no work were preformed. It’s hard to believe we are all having the same problem but the dealership can’t find the problem or don’t want to find the problem. :banghead:

Any Updates. did you take it back in.

hallo smilst first,thanks for the mail ,somehow

i can not read the complete text.

i am not good with computers,it is all try and error

but i hope tou get this mail.

after i found this T.S.B.in this forum i made a copie

and took it to the dealership here in cuernavaca-mex.

after the run-around.

the bulletin says exatly what has to be done.

if your car is not fixed i send you a copie

or write me :peterklotz68@hotmail.com

i am a very easy person a rattle here a scratch

there does not mean a thing to me,but BRAKES

MOTOROIL and TIRES,thats my religion

hasta luego peter in mex.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the reply. That was what I thought it might be.

Found out the problem the hard way. Apparently on the EDGE the sliders on the calipers where the pads attach have to be lubed every 5000 miles. If they are not they begin to stick and it puts added wear on the pads and the rotors. Mine was doing this and this maintenance was never brought up to me or is it on the maintenance schedule. At 19/K I got a grinding sound. I took it in and the backside pads were worn off and messed up the rotors. No warning the pads were bad, drove it one day it was fine. The next day got the grinding sound and took it in the following day. This is when I learned about the lube on the sliders. Thye also do not stock rotors for this, so it took 2 days to locate them along with the pads. Repair cost: $525.00. My other vehicle gets 25K - 30K or more off a set of pads. 20K or less is what they say for the Edge. Anyone else have any brake issues witht his vehicle. Mine is a 2007, had it 1 year now.

Edited by usadave

Found out the problem the hard way. Apparently on the EDGE the sliders on the calipers where the pads attach have to be lubed every 5000 miles. If they are not they begin to stick and it puts added wear on the pads and the rotors. Mine was doing this and this maintenance was never brought up to me or is it on the maintenance schedule. At 19/K I got a grinding sound. I took it in and the backside pads were worn off and messed up the rotors. No warning the pads were bad, drove it one day it was fine. The next day got the grinding sound and took it in the following day. This is when I learned about the lube on the sliders. Thye also do not stock rotors for this, so it took 2 days to locate them along with the pads. Repair cost: $525.00. My other vehicle gets 25K - 30K or more off a set of pads. 20K or less is what they say for the Edge. Anyone else have any brake issues witht his vehicle. Mine is a 2007, had it 1 year now.

Thanks for the follow up usadave. The Edge is going in for an oil change and I'll ask about the lube on the caliper sliders. Almost 20K on the brakes right now after 1 year. I'll report back after the service.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the follow up usadave. The Edge is going in for an oil change and I'll ask about the lube on the caliper sliders. Almost 20K on the brakes right now after 1 year. I'll report back after the service.

h0tr0d: Did you go for service about the brake ? I have a 2007 Edge with 16000 km and am getting a whinning noise from the back left side wheel. The rotor also gets very hot. I had it for service today and they said that it was the parking brake that was jammed. They cleaned and lubricated it but the noise is still there ??

• 2 months later...

Bought my '07 Edge in June '07 and have been having brake issues since Nov. '07. LOUD knocking noise during braking, especially when cold. Been in for service 5 times and still no luck. The knock is so loud that it gets embarassing!! The first attempt to "fix" the issue was to "sand the rotors"...that made more issues and caused a vibration when braking. The dealer claims that they can't duplicate the issue so they can't fix it. Funny thing is, they already heard and felt the issue the first time, but now 'cause they can't duplicate it they can't make any new diagnosis. Next step is a letter sent to Ford threatening "Lemon Law". BTW... Ford is saying that they have not heard of these issues from any other Edge owners...we're the first!

Wait a Sec.....

If lubing the calipers is not in the Ford Maintenance Schedule, why do YOU have to cough up $525 for the repair. At 19K, pads SHOULD NOT require replacement -unless you are a hard driver and it can be proven to Ford that YOU are at fault.

Sound like a warranty issue.

• Like 1

Wait a Sec.....

If lubing the calipers is not in the Ford Maintenance Schedule, why do YOU have to cough up $525 for the repair. At 19K, pads SHOULD NOT require replacement -unless you are a hard driver and it can be proven to Ford that YOU are at fault.

Sound like a warranty issue.

pads are only warrantied for 12 months or 18,000 miles. After that it is not warranty even if 19,000 seems low.

• 5 years later...

I am sitting here at the ford dealer service department and I am having the same issue with my brakes. They keep turning the rotors to take the rust and scuffing the brake pads! Thank goodness I had this forum to refer to as they did lube the calipers this time. I showed him the responses and issues and he was impressed that I am doing my homework.

I LOVE my Ford Edge which is a 2008 and I do t intend to get any other vehicle any time soon since it is only 7 months of paying it off. I faithfully keep up all maintenance when it states.

Thank you all for your posts and educating me on certain issues! This forum is now a bookmark for me. I have to say I was beginning to be afraid of driving my car back and forth to work!

Let's see what this visit has I in store for me!

• 11 months later...

Bought my '07 Edge in June '07 and have been having brake issues since Nov. '07. LOUD knocking noise during braking, especially when cold. Been in for service 5 times and still no luck. The knock is so loud that it gets embarassing!! The first attempt to "fix" the issue was to "sand the rotors"...that made more issues and caused a vibration when braking. The dealer claims that they can't duplicate the issue so they can't fix it. Funny thing is, they already heard and felt the issue the first time, but now 'cause they can't duplicate it they can't make any new diagnosis. Next step is a letter sent to Ford threatening "Lemon Law". BTW... Ford is saying that they have not heard of these issues from any other Edge owners...we're the first!

Have you finally solve the problem? I have a 2104 Edge, and has a similar problem.

• 2 years later...

Have you finally solve the problem? I have a 2104 Edge, and has a similar problem.

Was having the same issue with 2008 ford edge, took apart brake pads and used brake

lube on all pins and back of brake pads, so far no noise. Sounded like a bad bed spring being compressed and brake was squeeking.

• Like 2

My 2007 rear brakes are always noisy after a rain and an overnight in the garage. It's normal and goes away in drive after 1 or 2 stops. It's just a light rust film that forms after a few hours of dampness.

Serious grinding that happens and doesn't go away is a reason for repairs. :love_shower: Be happy, its not broken.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was having the same issue with 2008 ford edge, took apart brake pads and used brake

lube on all pins and back of brake pads, so far no noise. Sounded like a bad bed spring being compressed and brake was squeeking.

New Update, it was not my Break, had a bad wheel Bearing,greasing the pins and back of pads worked for about a week.......

• 2 years later...

Although this is late in coming.  I came across this forum since I was experiencing the similar problem (i.e. humming noise when braking after installing new brakes and rotors).  After replacing my brakes and disc rotors on my 07 Edge, I started experiencing immediately an intermittent humming noise when I hit a brake or coming to a stop.  And sometime even when I start going at slow speed coming from green light up to maybe 30 MPH.  The noise goes away when I am going a little faster (i.e. over 40 MPH).  I also noticed that my rotors were over-heating.  Looking at different blogs, people mentioned about wheel bearing, or tire not seating well or lug nuts not tighten the right way... I tried all that to no avail.  I even went on to buy new new pads (BrakeBest) to replace my previously installed new pads (Wagner) given that I have always used BrakeBest in the past.  

But finally I came across this site (https://www.motor-works.com/blog/caliper-slide-pin-boot---what-is-it-) that explains the part that I was overlooking.  The caliper guide pin boot was the problem.  On my 07 Edge, the bottom rubber pin boot were broken and therefore since they just don't seat outside like the one on the top side of the caliper, they go through the hole on the caliper bracket, every time I insert the caliper guide pin, it was getting stuck and I was forcing it.  Given that the caliper guide pin was made of rubber, it was making the caliper not able to float making the brake pads to stick against the rotors and therefore causing noise and overheating.  

After replacing the caliper guide pin boot and making sure the pins are greased with synthetic grease, the noise completely went away.  I was able to reuse the same brake pads since they were still intact.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Edge SEL with 45,000 miles. This car is  in awesome condition..the dealer has done every oil change, no one else has touched this car. Its been in shop more for brake issues then oil changes .. Weve had both back and front changed Rotors too!! each time was a battle with dealer. I don't drive the car daily maybe 4 times a week, mostly weekends. First they tried to say it was normal wear and tear, then it was I ride the brake, Now next week we are about to go in again same issue!! I think this will be the 5th go around.. Either I was sold a lemon that eats brakes or there is a problem with there brakes and rotors..I don't feel safe driving this car.The moaning from the back is horrible! and the grinding in the front gets worse every time you drive it. Each time this happens they put you off on getting a appointment, then they just LOOK at it.. make you come back after a battle from H**l with them to have it fixed. you shouldn't have to have brakes and rotors in between oil changes! Love the car but soon as this last battle is over This Edge is going bye bye..Never had any issues with my first one. So disappointed in this car.

Edited by Us2jburds