VBOX TESTED: Drive vs. Sport 0-60

GT500R

Hey guys,

So now that my car is broken in a bit more I am starting to perform some testing to see how my 0-60 changes with different driving methods. Today's test is a stock test measuring 0-60 between Drive and Sport mode in the transmission.

I did something similar with my GLi (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7243386-VBOX-Times-VS-Tune-gt-APR-Tune) and would like to do the same for this car.

So here we go....

One run each transmission mode in a straight away with almost same starting point.

You will notice a negative slope, which is less than a half of a percent... so that means I started at an elevation of 187.8 ft and when the run was over was at 186.5 ft (essentially negligible).

Brake boost was 1000 rpm for each run, 93 octane, and legit 0-60 (not a 1 foot roll out)

pwPh3aa.png

Questions or comments welcome! One fun fact was the SPORT mode run had a 0-60 with 1 foot roll out of 5.672 seconds!

I am thinking next test should be best brake boost point? 1000 rpm vs. 1500 rpm vs 2000 rpm, thoughts?

• Like 3

So would you say the main difference between S and D probably comes down to slightly faster shifts in S?

It doesn't look like there's any significant tuning difference between the two. Does your butt-dyno notice much difference? :)

I guess the next logical test might be S mode automatic vs. S mode manual shift to see if there's any gains to be had or if the paddle shifters are there more just for fun.

Edited by redlancer

So would you say the main difference between S and D probably comes down to slightly faster shifts in S?

It doesn't look like there's any significant tuning difference between the two. Does your butt-dyno notice much difference? :)

I guess the next logical test might be S mode automatic vs. S mode manual shift to see if there's any gains to be had or if the paddle shifters are there more just for fun.

There is a noticeable difference between drive and sport mode. It pulls nicely in sport mode and does not seem to let up. You should try it sometime. :shift::shift:

On a 2013 Edge I recently drove with 'S' mode, other than the different shifting characteristic, I also noticed that it only went to 5th gear. Shifting back to 'D' at highway speeds showed the upshift with the RPM going down. Might also be the case for 2015s, if so, you'd definitelyg get less mileage if you used S mode so often.

So it is interesting you said that.... if I look at the two runs and compare you can clearly see where the shift point makes up the difference in D vs. S.

DRIVE:

DSSGOfs.png

SPORT:

FSiq1ZB.png

• Like 1