Servicing 2015 Edge SEL

Snickers1952

I'm a DIY when it comes to servicing my vehicles. I'll do the simpler tasks like oil and filter change, rotate tires, spark plugs etc. I recently purchased a 2015 Edge SEL with the 2.0 Eco Boost. I noticed that there is a shield?? attached with about a dozen torx head screws to the frame under the engine. This needs to be removed in order to drain the engine oil and change the filter. I guess there are a couple of reasons I can realize that it's there. One is that it'll keep the engine cleaner from grime on wet or dusty roads, and the other is perhaps fuel economy. But it looks like it'll be a pain to have to remove and re-install it every time the engine needs service. Does anyone have any insight on this?

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is I change the oil on my 2011 Edge monthly. Just imagine those torques stripping out and then me tossing the shield in the Engineers failed design bin.

Ā 

That would be hard to do - they're pretty beefy and they go on and off very easily.

Ā 

They are a PITA though. Especially the one day I did all 3 vehicles at once (all 3 had shields).

I'm a DIY when it comes to servicing my vehicles. I'll do the simpler tasks like oil and filter change, rotate tires, spark plugs etc.

I used to, but cars have gotten more complicated. And besides, Ford dealers do oil change with semi-synthetic, 5 qts., filter, rotate tires, lube chassis and mechanical inspection. All for under $30. All this while I sit in a conformable waiting area, drinking Starbucks made to order, popcorn if I want it and watching TV. They finish with a free car wash (Lincoln owner's perk).

Knock your socks off.

• 5 months later...

A little late, but I just changed the oil on my 2015 SEL 3.5. I was surprised to find the shield. There was a cutout near the drain bolt with a metallic backing, but it looked like it would make a mess, so I just dropped the shield. Five torx head and one retaining clip. Added a few minutes, but at least the filter was convenient.

• 1 month later...

I use a Pella oil extractor on my other vehicles with belly covers. They work great. Tube goes into the dip stick hole and you pump the oil out. Every few oil changes I drain from the bottom to get the sludge that may build up.

I haven't used it on the Edge yet so I can't comment on how well it works. Our Edge is brand new.