Headliner Overhead Rattle - Vista Roof

Rextang

Ok, got the Edge back. The repair order isn't very detailed, but here is what it says: "Made several test drives, removing, installing and adjusting parts, also shifted and vibrated parts to create rattle noise. After several drives and many interior adjustments, and removal of headliner, found the pinch weld holding sunroof mounting bracket had a bad weld. Vehicle to be sent to body shop. They re-welded the pinch welds, test drove and rattle gone".

Even though the repair order states they re-welded, my service adviser originally told me they were installing rivets and some type of special glue, so I am not sure which they did, (or maybe all three). I drove it to the store and home for a total of about an hour after picking it up, and so far this second noise I have had, is gone. Now for all my trouble with this, while looking over the car when I picked it up, I found a door ding in the rear passenger door that I am sure was not there before, of course I can't swear to that and when I pointed it out to my adviser, they didn't offer up anything. I guess I need to call a paintless dent service to see if they can fix it.

One last thing, the service adviser told me he had another Edge coming in next week with the same exact rattle noise for them to fix. He is anticipating the same weld problem.

Hello all...I posted in another area, but I also have the b-pillar snapping noise, mostly over rougher roads. I think the issue is the rest of the interior is so quiet! Anyhow, I'll keep reading to see if you folks get resolution, as I don't like the radio being up so loud everyday. Certainly don't like other folks driving the "new" Edge and hearing the noise. Thanks all. BTW, anyone considered just packing the possibly offending area with JB Weld? :)

Still waiting to get my Edge back. Been at the dealer for 2 weeks. As soon as I get it back, I will post what was done and any other information that I have. My dealer did recommend JB weld, but Ford would not allow that to be done, as they said it was not an authorized repair. Can't say why, just they would not do it. So all dealer was able to do is spot weld. But again, will let you know when I receive back and have a confirmed resolution.

• Like 1

Since getting my Edge back almost a week now since the weld repair, I now have a "jingling" type noise above my head. Sounds like a metal to metal movement noise like something is slightly loose. I have also noticed that the original rattle noise is still there, it just takes rougher roads now for it to show up.

Driving over some of the same roads that I know used to cause the rattle, is now quiet. But other roads that are really bad will cause the same/similar noise above the headliner, and it almost now sounds like it is above the rear seat instead of above me. With already having another rattle fixed before, it just makes me wonder if there is a third? As to my "jingling" type noise, (that is above my head), I wonder if that is the magnet rattle that was talked about originally in this thread? Since my headliner has been down multiple times, something probably came loose, even though the dealer did replace several parts this last time to help prevent other rattles.

Edited by DougS

My issue seems to be solved.

Wasn't done intentionally but I pushed the magnet in front of driver's side B pillar out of its nest on the liner.

The noise immediately stopped.

BTW I am missing those B pillar area magnets 1 of 3 magnets, middle ones are missing on either side.

Can anyone confirm if it is by design? The base of part# seem to be 50980.

Edited by Vadimus

DougS- are you still experiencing the "jingling" noise? I received mine back and there still seems to be a noise. Not as loud, yet still there, especially on bumpy roads, as you mentioned. Doesn't sound like the same noise, but from the same area. The dealer did take the headliner down and put back, thinking is was the magnets, did stop for a day, but back again.

Yes, I still get the "jingling" noise. If I push up and release multiple times rapidly on the headliner above my head, I can kind of replicate the noise sitting still, as there is a metal to metal tapping noise. I assume driving down the road it probably vibrates faster causing the "jingling" sound, if that makes any sense?

I also still have the louder rattle going over the really bad bumps, but it sound more behind me now instead of right above.

I just got a call from my service adviser, as I had told him my rattle was still there, just not as bad as before. He tells me that he currently has two other Edges in with the rattle back again, after performing the bracket welding fix to those, like he did to mine. He said the bracket weld fix was from Ford, and he has notified Ford that it didn't work. Currently, I am just going to keep my Edge until he calls me back that they have come up with a fix for it, instead of leaving my Edge there with the other two. They can use those others as the "guinea pig".

Edited by DougS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the rattle in the headliner as well. Took it into the dealer they ordered parts for the top plastic pieces they put them in but still hear the rattle. They called and said they wanted to drop the headliner. I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow. I went to get something out of it and took some pics I'll try to post them.

post-38390-0-73110100-1456176155_thumb.jpeg

post-38390-0-55552400-1456176175_thumb.jpeg

post-38390-0-78493500-1456176197_thumb.jpeg

The last I heard back from my dealer, a week or so ago, was that they had Ford Engineers in to look at the other two that were there with the rattle. He told me that they did whatever was needed to check things out and then they left. He said it could now be up to 6 weeks and Ford should have a TSB out for it. Of course he told me that the other fix, (welding the bracket), was also a TSB that Ford issued for the rattle. He also said something about them leaning toward some type of "body flex" issue versus something just rattling. Either way, mine still makes the noise, and I'm just waiting it out now.

Just picked up my 2016 Edge Titanium yesterday and from the moment I drove it off the lot I heard the rattle. Funny enough all it took was one google search to see I wasn't hearing things. If it is the Vista Roof, I agree that I would have taken a delete option if offered. I have an email into my dealer now. I will follow up with the outcome.

Got mine back the other day. While I will admit it's is better, it's not completely gone. They seem to have taken care of the rattle on the drivers side but the one near the rear hatch is still there and getting worse. I'm convinced it's the magnets in the headliner. When they had the headliner off I moved the magnets back and forth and it's the same sound. I tried to tell them but I guess it went unnoticed. My service provider did state to me that this was step one. So I guess it has to go back again.

I've been following these 'rattle' threads by curiosity and, bang, I get a rattle starting a few weeks ago. I have less than 10000 km on my 2015 which is 10 months old.

How long after initial purchase will a dealer work on rattles under warranty?

Got mine back from the dealer on Friday. They said the fixed it, gave me no indication as to what was even done. Got on the road....and shocker it's not fixed. I called and made another appointment, but now I am thinking I need another dealers advice.

Maybe you have advice.. The sound is on the driver side, above my head. I think it's more like a creak than a rattle. Happens with the sun shade closed/open and with the roof window closed/open. Sounds like it's between the roof and driver side window, something with the vista roof harness? I get the noise anytime I hit a bump or the car shocks need to come into play. I tried pressing and pulling all I could but I think it's all in the headliner.

I really want to love this car but it's so hard with this annoying noise.

Edited by Angela Kinney

I've been following these 'rattle' threads by curiosity and, bang, I get a rattle starting a few weeks ago. I have less than 10000 km on my 2015 which is 10 months old.

How long after initial purchase will a dealer work on rattles under warranty?

Bump...

How old was your Edge when you got service on that rattle?

Talked to my service adviser a few days ago, he checked to see if there was anything new from when the Ford Engineers came in and checked out the other two that have the same problem that my dealer is handling, so far nothing on a fix, but he did originally say it could take up to six weeks or so. I am not even taking mine back until something more comes in from the engineers. The original fix for the problem, that did not work for me or the other two, was to re-weld a bracket for the moonroof. As soon as I hear something, I will post it.

Had mine fixed about 2 weeks ago. Have not heard the rattle since. They had it for 2 days and lowered the headliner and folded over a piece of metal and added foam to quite it up. That said they have done 5 of them with none returning after the fix saying its back. Tried to get more info but that is all they told me.

so 2016 models also affected?

Yes - I just got a 2016 30 days ago and mine also has the same issue. I have noticed though that if the roof is subject to sun and temperatures over 55 degrees it does not make the noise. Made the noise all day yesterday and we took the car out today and NOTHING!. I had an appointment last week with a dealer (temp was over 55) and the way there it did not make the rattle/creaking noise. So I just cancelled the appointment. I think I am going to wait for a TSB to come out as well.