Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus

deapee

So if you were following along in my other thread, I replaced my factory Michelins with four Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires due to an unrepairable nail in the left rear tire -- the Michelins had 31k miles on them but they still look new. The replacements were 245/60/18 105H.

Initial impressions are that they feel the same on the road as the stock Michelins.

Road noise seems about the same (non existent).

Essentially, I can't tell that there are new tires on there when driving.

The one difference I did notice is that while unloading the Pirelli's, the sidewalls felt VERY stiff and solid, as if taking a turn would be easier on the tire. I didn't realize that until I loaded the three Michelins back into the back after they were off the rims. The sidewalls on the Michelins feel very flimsy in comparison (possibly because the Michelins have been driven on?).

I only drove around town though, so after I take it on the highway tomorrow, I will report back.

Here is a picture of the tire:

14o41oh.jpg

I like how there are some solid rubber sections that go around the circumference of the entire tire. To me, it seems like this will allow for increased tracking or directional stability on the highway and possibly give it a little more sturdiness on entry and exit ramps. There are exactly three of those solid rubber sections that go all the way around the tire. One directly inside of the outer tread lugs, and two more between the next to sets of lugs. Maybe the center one helps with rain evacuation?

It's important to note that the tires need to be mounted with a certain side of the tire facing out. It's denoted in a few languages (the last bit of text saying "OUTER" in English) on the sidewall in rather small text, so it would be easy to miss. Luckily the tire guys at the local shop knew what they were doing because I didn't notice that until I was verifying my tire pressure after I got home.

And here is the image zoomed in so you can see the solid rubber.

90msza.jpg

• Like 2

Purchased these last week. I mentioned in another post that these got great reviews on TireRack which is one of the reasons I considered them. I'm looking forward to seeing if they really will live up the promise of better gas mileage given the 20mpg I've been averaging since I got the Edge a year ago. I upsized to a 255 width tire to fill out the wheel wells. Will be doing a quick day trip to Sun Valley tomorrow (~400 mile round trip) so I'll have a better idea of their highway manners and mileage.

New Pirelli Scorpion Verde AllSeason Plus

Edge W New tires

• Like 1

I put 4 Scorpion Verde All Season Plus on my 2009 in April. These replaced 4 Scorpion Verde All Season which developed a whump whump noise after 55K miles. Got a discount on new ones due to pro rated tread ware. I have 10,300 + on these now and so far they are great. Fuel economy increase is due to driving style. Got 25 MPG on one leg of a trip from Ft. Worth to Denver recently. My edge has 127,300 miles on it now. :)

• Like 1

Seems like they got the QC issues worked out. Last year, I bought these tires and had a horrific vibration at highway speeds. No amount of balancing and/or alignment (even Roadforce balancing) could fix the issue. The tire shop replaced one tire (Still had vibration) and, ultimately, the whole set (still had vibration).

After a while, I gave up on these tires and went with Yokohama YK580s. No problems since.

So far I probably have about 1.8k miles on them.

I don't really notice a difference to be honest.

My daily drive includes a few big mountain climbs -- but my gas mileage throughout all of this has always stabilized at 22.3 MPG both before and after the tires.

I do feel like the vehicle tends to want to either A) drift toward the right or B) follow the slant of the road more.

I can't really tell which one it is. If I'm on a roadway where the slant is to the left, I need to keep the wheel a bit more to the right. And if I'm on a roadway where the slant is to the right (which is like 90% of all right lanes in highways), I have to keep it to the left a tiny bit (maybe half an inch).

Other than that, there have been no noticeable differences.

• 5 weeks later...

What caused you guys to switch from the OEM tires???

The Michelin Latitude tires are top notch OEM tires even by aftermarket tire standards..

I thought that the previous owner of our Ford Edge went all out and upgraded tires until I learned that the Latitude tires were OEM.

They won a tire comparison by Tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=137

• 3 weeks later...

I have Pirelli Scorpion Zero 265/40R/22s on my 14 Edge Sport. I had the same tire but 20's on my 11 Edge Limited. I don't know if it's the size difference or what, but these guys whine like there's no tomorrow. And like the gentleman said above, "thump, thump, thump". They've been balanced, re-balanced, rotated, the works. Only 25K on them and even my wife mentioned the noise this weekend. I'm not sure what my next step is. Thanks for listening.