Best replacement 20" tires (2008 MKX)?

DaPurpleRT

Plenty of discussions on this subforum:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/forum/46-wheels-tires/

Favorites tend to agree with Tirerack's ratings (look at the CUV tires first). I generally go for the tire with the highest rating & the most miles driven. An example:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&width=245%2F&ratio=60&diameter=18&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Edge+SEL&autoModClar=AWD

In addition, the Yokohama Parada Spec-X is a popular tire, and more recently, the General G-MAX. I know the G-MAX has received favorable reviews as all seasons on cars with similar weight/GVW ratings (like the Ford Taurus), so it should work reasonably well in this application also.

I have an 09 MKX AWD. I'm happy with my Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia's. At the Tirerack.Com website, you can review consumers remarks and scores for every tire they sell. The Bridgestone's have all its ratings in the green or dark green.The Yokohama's are also rated high, not quite as high as the Bridgestone's, but are selling at 1/2 the price.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, been looking at the tire review sites, but they seem fuzzy. I mean that one review could rave with top marks and the next vehemently dismiss them. There is also the worry that some of the ratings come from the capabilities and characteristics of the vehicles themselves when looking at reviews from other models.

Thanks guys, been looking at the tire review sites, but they seem fuzzy. I mean that one review could rave with top marks and the next vehemently dismiss them. There is also the worry that some of the ratings come from the capabilities and characteristics of the vehicles themselves when looking at reviews from other models.

Like any online review, you have to look at the big picture. The survey comparisons and rankings at tirerack are pretty good - just make sure that the tire has a good number of miles driven.

Also understand that there can be 2 or 3 or more different versions of the same tire model for different vehicles and they can perform differently.

• Like 1

Nope, not at all. They have great grip, but they do have softer tread compound than summer tires and you can feel that little bit of give as you load up the tire (steering/changing direction/banking). There are ultra high performance all season tires where you don't feel the difference from summer tires as much (e.g. continental dws vs michelin pilot super sport), you still feel like you are riding on rails.

I had a set of Michelin's years ago that had soft, rubbery tread. Ran smooth and quiet, for the first 20k. Then the "soft" rubber wore through to the hard rubber underneath. Ride became hard and noisy. Lot of road noise.

I took them back to Sam's where I bought them, and they told me that it was normal as the hard rubber was needed to extend the milage to its rated 40k (or whatever it was). Always been leary about tires with soft rubber ever since.

Edited by enigma-2

I had a set of Michelin's years ago that had soft, rubbery tread. Ran smooth and quiet, for the first 20k. Then the "soft" rubber wore through to the hard rubber underneath. Ride became hard and noisy. Lot of road noise.

I took them back to Sam's where I bought them, and they told me that it was normal as the hard rubber was needed to extend the milage to its rated 40k (or whatever it was). Always been leary about tires with soft rubber ever since.

I don't think they vary the material by tread depth - which model Michelins?

I don't remember anymore, was the most popular style back then (late 90's). Selling point was they used sectional molds (supposedly so the tires were easier to balance). What I was told (after the fact) was tires were indeed molded with different types of rubber, one that gave very smooth and quiet performance, but wore down quickly (think it was 20k, but in all honesty could have been 10k, don't remember anymore, but remember being disgusted after spending so much and having loud, rough tires in so short a time), and this overlaid a harder rubber that gave the long milage. Was told this by mechanic at Sams Club and also local tire store (Monteith Tire).

I remember when this occurred, was driving on freeway, tires were quiet and it seemed to happen all at once, started to get noisy. More I drove, louder it got. Remember thinking it was a bearing going out. Front tires went first, rear maybe 1000 or 2000 later. Swore I would never buy Michelins again.

Edited by enigma-2

The only "2 layer" tires I've ever heard of were from Bridgestone. They were designed exactly opposite of what you are stating. In general, every time you drive your car, you heat cycle the tires, and the rubber gets a little bit harder. So by the time you are half way through a tire, it's quite a bit harder and has less traction than when new. Bridgestone had/has tires that used a second layer of softer rubber that gets exposed as the tires wear, so you still have good traction until you hit the wear bars. My truck had them (All Terrain Revos/Revo 2s) and the wet traction never dropped off like other tires as they aged.

Edited by IWRBB