Coolant Flush

mcali6301

I did not do that. I was joking. I know I am a bull in a china shop at times, but I do not believe in those type of repairs. However if the situation was being stranded and my only way to get out of it.......you do what you have to do.

Dissimilar metals?

Edited by macbwt

Wait ... there's a problem other than the meandering one??? :) J/K!

Yes, there is a radiator drain plug, located at the bottom driverside of the unit. Part 8115 in the attached PDF diagram.

attachicon.gif2011 ford edge radiator drain plug location.PDF

Meandering.. LOL....That issue is closed for now. I'll update the case with the details.

I went under the car and can barely see the petcock, the ground effects on the sport also help to hide it.

I think I'll just pay for the coolant flush. haha.

Reason I asked, the coolant level hovers around the lower mark just after getting home from work and the engine is still hot. Also, the coolant res has some brown residue around the inside higher up inside and the coolant is green (I keep reading that the gold coolant should be used)

I did not do that. I was joking. I know I am a bull in a china shop at times, but I do not believe in those type of repairs. However if the situation was being stranded and my only way to get out of it.......you do what you have to do.

When my older brother worked at a local family owned furniture store the delivery pickup (76 F100) sprung a leak in a radiator hose out in the country (this was in rural south Georgia). Sofas used to ship with big rubber bands to hold up the skirt around the bottom so there were always a dozen or so lying on the dash. They were able to wrap a couple of those rubber bands around the hose enough to hold water until they got back to town. The owner (who was also the father of my brother's delivery companion) looked at it and said "I think that will hold for awhile." He was a bit stingy to say the least. My brother and his son said umm...no we're going to get a new hose.

Does sound like there is crud builtup inside the cooling system, so a flush is a good idea. What worries me more is the possibility of a leak somewhere in the system, which from empirical evidence, happens due to a leaking water pump or porous engine block.

There are 3 types of coolant specified for the 2011 model year:

•Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant (dark green-colored)
•Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant (US)
•Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant (Canada)2

Whatever the cap on the degas/overflow bottle says is what should be used. These products are NOT interchangeable. Was your Edge built prior to 7/11/2011?

Motorcraft Coolant Chart

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf

Motorcraft Coolant Application Guide.pdf

Reason I asked, the coolant level hovers around the lower mark just after getting home from work and the engine is still hot. Also, the coolant res has some brown residue around the inside higher up inside and the coolant is green (I keep reading that the gold coolant should be used)

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Can't find any info about coolant drains on the 3.5L engine block.   Thought I'd post to this thread to see if anyone has looked and knows if a drain exists.   Just about to change coolant on my 2015 V6.   If there are no replies I'll post back here what I find on my Edge when I get under it.

I finished up my 5L F150 and was surprised to discover ... no engine block drain.   I don't understand why.   Can't be that much cheaper to eliminate the block drain.