Any known issues with Wheel Studs?

funhouse69

Hi everyone, I did some searching saw a few mentioneds of broken studs here as well as on Google but was wondering if this is a known or common issue.

My 2013 Edge Limited only has 18k miles on it and my back brakes were smoked so we did a brake job the other day, we found (which I believe is farily common) that the drivers side pad was down to the rivets but the rest of them were fine but we bought a whole set of Rotors / Pads so we did them all anyway (huge difference).

Anyway when we put the tires back on we hit them with a gun that only goes up to about 80FT / LBs of Torque Max then we attempted to go the rest of the way with a Torque Wrench and it felts like once we get above the 80 FT/LBs the Studs were "Stretching" to the point of us getting very uncomfortable and stopped once one of the rear studs snapped before even hitting 90 FT/LBs.

Correct me if I am wrong but everything I see / read says that the lugs are supposed to be 100 ft/pounds.I am pretty confident that if we did that we would end up with many snapped studs.

Thoughts?

I have not experienced this with the 2008 or the 2011 models and torque them to 100. Wonder if the lugs are smaller? I have not noticed any difference between the 2008 and 2011 as far as the lugs. Your brakes seem awful low on mileage to be shot like that. Might be another issue you may want to monitor this closely. Rusty brackets on the brakes seems to be a main issue for a lot of the Edge/Explorer brakes.

Edited by macbwt

I have not experienced this with the 2008 or the 2011 models and torque them to 100. Wonder if the lugs are smaller? I have not noticed any difference between the 2008 and 2011 as far as the lugs. Your brakes seem awful low on mileage to be shot like that. Might be another issue you may want to monitor this closely. Rusty brackets on the brakes seems to be a main issue for a lot of the Edge/Explorer brakes.

I would go with rust as the reason that one wheel was worn so bar, the other rear still had probably 50 - 60% and the fronts had probably 75%. We cleaned up all the rust and put a little brake greese on the clips so hopefully it won't happen again. I've had it for just about 3 years but work only 5 miles from home and the rest of the miles are long trips so it isn't used that much.

See the attached photo from of the Rear Driver Side Pads.

post-25396-0-63964800-1447591109_thumb.jpg