2015 Rear Gate Light Bar

So, I got a 2015 SEL. And I love it. Except how the headlights don't match the DRL on the bumper. So I contacted drivebright.com for that and they fixed me up great!

The only other thing I hate about the SEL is that it doesn't have the signature rear light bar. I want to modify mine to have it. Any ideas? I've looked at putting led strips in the case, but am not going to drill holes into light casings on a 41k dollar car. Please help!

• Like 1

I found the 2015 SE & SEL do not have the Rear Tail LED bar, but i do not know if they are wired that would be interesting to know. Mine does not have the Intelligent access for the front doors but the rear gate works, I had ford take the handles off and its wired for it they just don't know if it can be programed to allow for it. would be nice, if just one person at Ford knew.

I to would like the rear LED it look awesome with it, seems like a slap in the face to not just have that on every model. here is a 31K base model that shows traction control and each tire pressure real time but no real Red LED bar for you, whats it like 5 bucks to add. hell i would have paid 500 if they would have told be it didn't light up.

• Like 1

I found the 2015 SE & SEL do not have the Rear Tail LED bar, but i do not know if they are wired that would be interesting to know. Mine does not have the Intelligent access for the front doors but the rear gate works, I had ford take the handles off and its wired for it they just don't know if it can be programed to allow for it. would be nice, if just one person at Ford knew.

I to would like the rear LED it look awesome with it, seems like a slap in the face to not just have that on every model. here is a 31K base model that shows traction control and each tire pressure real time but no real Red LED bar for you, whats it like 5 bucks to add. hell i would have paid 500 if they would have told be it didn't light up.

It is just another perk to move people in to higher trimmed models. If everyone received the same options on every trim line....there would be no trim lines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The ride should be your dream. Don't save on your dream! :)

That's dumb. Anything that has to do with safety should be a given. Trim should be larger engine, sun roof, nav, if I had known this car didn't have the rear tail light I wouldn't have got it. Hell even the more expensive SEL doesn't come with it. The things I mentioned have nothing to do with trim and everything to do with safety. Also the Ford Edge isn't my dream car I owned my dream car Audi RS4 and it comes with everything. But not nearly practical with two kids. The Edge for me is a compromise, a damn good compromise. It's not about having the most expensive for me anymore.

Edited by Blk182atn7

Well, look for another globe I suppose.

On this one safety DOES rely on trim level. You might still remember when things like ABS or even airbags were available only for high end trims.

There are tons of dirt cheap electronics that potentially can save lives on the roads but they are used only on higher trims - nothing personal, just marketing.

On the other hand - have you seen any research proving that full width tail light has measurable effect on accident probability?

Edited by Vadimus

The second row Inflateable belts were an extra ~$500 well spent imo. It's a safety feature that's not for everybody's situation, though.

The rear light bar, like the front 'Signature LEDs', are not bright enough for driving/DRLs but more are for aesthetics and an up sell item for the more expensive trims.

Ford's marketing folks do a lot of research when assigning features to trim levels. From the Cold Weather Pkg to the Canadian Touring Pkg, the LED accents are a crossover with Lincoln and other luxury brands. They just play your emotions to get more money, and it works.

• Like 1

In my opinion, those rear lights are what make me think Ford Edge. It's what drew me to the car in the first place. And to see an edge without it, truly makes me not want to own one. I firmly believe if you create a car that has THAT big of a statement, it should be on every model. Would they make a mustang without the classic three tier tail lights?

Seriously. The rear red LED tail light isn't ascetics you can see LEDS for much further then regular light. Having a larger tail light gives motorists more visibility, Hence safety while I will agree the front lights are ascetic at nest but stating a larger tail light has no effect on safety is simply wrong.

https://chemlinks.beloit.edu/BlueLight/pages/hp/an1155-3.pdf

Ascetics are ground effects front LED, lighting interior LED, lighting, black grill, can be options. even inflatable seat belts (which i do have) buts its been proven more rear light decreases accidents

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) repeated Voevodsky's experiment on a larger scale, and concluded that center high mounted stop lamps, as the government calls them, reduce accidents and injuries. As a result, in 1986, NHTSA began requiring all new cars to have a third brake light. The agency extended that requirement to all new light trucks in 1994.

To see just how well the third brake lights worked, NHTSA charted police-reported crash data from eight states, and found that these lights reduced rear impacts by 4.3 percent. Although less dramatic than the original findings, this means that since the lights became standard equipment, there have been about 200,000 fewer crashes, 60,000 fewer injuries, and more than $600 million in property damage saved every year — not to mention lives saved.

More recently, researchers are turning their attention to the question of whether new light-emitting diode (LED) brake lights may be more effective than older incandescent bulbs at preventing rear-end collisions. Preliminary data suggest that LED lights may reduce crashes.

​With this being said for the third breakelight addition wouldn't it further reduce the risk adding more light to the back?

The rear light bar shouldn't be a trim level option. So your telling me I have real time view of the AWD traction on the screen, I can push button start my car, see all four wheels TPS but they couldn't add at $100 red lighting to all models as a new look and safety item. I totally agree there are things that a base model shouldn't have hell I didn't think the base model would have push button start that's unheard of unless it's a Kia or hyundai. But it's a rear light that 1. adds safety and visibility to the rear of the vehicle 2. Looks really cool. 3. Set the gen2 apart from the previous Gen.

Even my friend who has a 2015 SEL with every option says the same thing they should all just have the rear light.

Edited by Blk182atn7

The Ambient Lighting on the Edge was a big draw for me to step up to Titanium from SEL. The wife wanted to save $$$ and get a loaded SEL instead, but I was able to convince her with some features like the driver memory seat and other creature comforts.

All in all, the Edge has a tonne of techy features on all trim levels. While it's an expensive beast, it will probably be the last car I buy to drive. (I anticipate keeping my Edge for 6-8 years, then buying a self-driving car.)

• Like 1

The Ambient Lighting on the Edge was a big draw for me to step up to Titanium from SEL. The wife wanted to save $$$ and get a loaded SEL instead, but I was able to convince her with some features like the driver memory seat and other creature comforts.

All in all, the Edge has a tonne of techy features on all trim levels. While it's an expensive beast, it will probably be the last car I buy to drive. (I anticipate keeping my Edge for 6-8 years, then buying a self-driving car.)

I can agree with that, I have had so many over 50k cars I know what I want and don't want now once the decision to not go Q5, I have zero complaints about my Edge, it really feels like drain a more expensive vehicle even at Base, Ford did it right. This won't be my last car, my Tesla Is on order. I have a while to wait but no more fuel cost. Overtime i fill up many of my vehicles I feel a little upset that we still use internal combustion. I was talking to my wife widely with Tesla being Open Source with the tech, a ford edge with the Tesla platform would be freaking awesomeness. F85D Edge Edition

• Like 1

@Blk182atn7, which Tesla model are you waiting for? One of my colleagues has a BMW i8 and loves it. $35 per month in electricity for a daily driver, not bad! Another friend is waiting on a Tesla Model-X, and I'm quite interested how it handles the daily abuse of a family utility.

What will electric cars mean for DIY'ers? Considering they will be driven by software and sensors, there may be little that a home mechanic can do:

http://consumerist.com/2015/05/20/gm-that-car-you-bought-were-really-the-ones-who-own-it/

• Like 1

Would be interesting to see if the electric automobile would allow as much DIY for the average owner as internal combustion engines do. Certainly anticipate less DIY needing to do vs DIY wanting to do.

The good thing is like Tesla they have it right they give you just about everything, so the need to DIY anything is gone. The base 70D has every thing the same aside as other models aside form a better sound system and premium interior, which mind is an option, thinly thing you can't get on the 70D is the P85D but you can upgrade the battery. every model of every vehicle should be bale to have every option is one chooses, if you don't want a black grill on your sport the bright grill isn't n option until aftermarket, give your customers everything in the beginning and change things like and bigger motor upgraded interior ad your options still has trim levels and still separates times. Its 2015 trim levels are an archaic past evolution.

• Like 1

@Blk182atn7, which Tesla model are you waiting for? One of my colleagues has a BMW i8 and loves it. $35 per month in electricity for a daily driver, not bad! Another friend is waiting on a Tesla Model-X, and I'm quite interested how it handles the daily abuse of a family utility.

What will electric cars mean for DIY'ers? Considering they will be driven by software and sensors, there may be little that a home mechanic can do:

http://consumerist.com/2015/05/20/gm-that-car-you-bought-were-really-the-ones-who-own-it/

Model III I want a smaller then the S version. We have a P85D for work I love it ludicrous speed is so awesome. Its a little large for what I am looking for for my everyday driver. the I8 is way to funky I Have see a few here driving around lots of i3. still see a few Fisker driving around but Tesla has pretty much taken over everyday aside form the one we drive I see 6 or 7. I looked at getting the RAV4 in 2012 wot the Tesla stuff but its only available in California

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi -
Does anyone have any knowledge concerning enabling/swapping/wiring the LED Tailight Bar? I bought a 2015 SEL and want the tail light bar to light up. That is what attracted me to the Edge when I saw it at night and I feel like I got scammed that mine does not light up.
Can a Dealership swap the bar out ?

Thanks,
Ed