Gas smell in cabin

Austin Lutz

I just purchased a used 2013 Ford Edge on October 31st 2015 and it has 36000 ​which I thought would be a great vehicle. Needless to say it has been a headache since the first week I got it. I started it up one day and the check engine light came on so I drove it in to the dealer and they replaced the fuel line and said that should do it. I had it back for 2 days and check engine light came back on with a strong gas smell so I took it back into the dealer and they replaced the purge canister valve and I drove it a couple days and still noticed the strong gas smell and I thought maybe if I park it in my garage and keep the windows open all night that would help so the next day I drove it and stopping and going at the stop lights the strong smell came back so I took it back into the dealer and they replaced the 4 vent at the rear of the car because they thought maybe the exhaust fumes was coming back into the cabin. I've had it back a couple of days and still the strong gasoline smell. I have no idea what to do with it, I just wish I could return the vehicle and get my chevy cruze back but it doesn't work that way. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Also there is no gas leaks under the car

That is what i'm about to do... The only reason i've been still messing around taking it back to the dealer is because they are fixing it at no charge. Also I should mention that I filled it up with gas last night and drove across the parking lot and ran into a store and left it running and when i came back the RPM was revving up to the 1 then would almost die out then rev up to the 1 agian, So i'm sure it is all connected with the gas smell

If it really is a gas smell, there could be multiple reasons, including those supposedly addressed by the dealer (a Ford dealer I presume?). Not done yet is exhaust system checks to see if there are any leaks. How has the MPG been? Should be decent, accounting for 10% drop with winter fuel. Definitely go to another dealer and verify that the work was actually done.

Unrelated, but is your Edge AWD or FWD? AWD's tend to have PTU sickness, which can cause PTU fluid to spew and make evil smells. Also check to see if your cabin air filter (glove compartment) is clean & functional.

• Like 1

That is what the service manager texted me exact words were 'the issue is a sticking vapor management valve.' Also I had to call the dealership and ask how much longer my car will be and they said Tuesday because they had to order parts. So it will be a day short of a week without a car; they claim to have no available loaners at this time so i'm thankful to be driving my moms old Durango. They had to order a canister to the purge valve. Which they already replaced the purge valve so i'm assuming the canister goes with this. I will update when I receive my car next week.

• 3 weeks later...