Looking at 2011 MKX

whoathere

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and am a forum fanatic. I belong to many, many forums as I've found them to be the best place for honest and reliable information.

My wife and I are considering a 2011 MKX. I've been researching cars for probably 3 months now and think I've settled on a good vehicle. Correct me if I am wrong.

Here's why we've settled on the MKX. 1) my wife gets car sick, so we need something that is going to have a comfortable ride. The smoother the better. 2) need AWD so we can have a vehicle that can get around in the winters. 3) these things have a ton of options! 4) the 3.7L seems like plenty of power to make it a nice smooth ride and effortlessly get you around.

What I need to know about is anything to look for when purchasing used. My wife works from home, and drives maybe 3-4K miles per year. So if we increase some mileage since we will likely use it more on weekends, I don't expect more than 6-7k miles per year. So I am looking at vehicles around 75k miles. Like I said before, AWD and probably as loaded as I can get. Don't really care about pano, but want the heated steering wheel and rear seats.

I am assuming the 18" wheels are going to offer a more comfortable ride, so the 20's might be out, but I've not driven one yet to see.

The price difference between the Edge and MKX seems negligible from what I've seen, so that's another reason I'm considering MKX over Edge. I've found a fully loaded one with 78k for $19,900 which seems reasonable. I will try to work it down a bit though.

Any thoughts on the MKX would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Cole

I have an 09 fully loaded and you will love it. My wife doesn't like the seats (she liked my Sable seats better).

Without question, get a certified vehicle if you can (may cost more of course).

I also strongly recommend you got the best extended warranty you can. A couple of thousand up front "could" pay back in dividends over the next few years. Mine has paid back about 70% so far and I still have a year+ to go.

If you want driving lights, have the dealer turn them on as part of the deal. (Normally they are not turned on unless it was a fleet vehicle or in a state that requiet DRL).

Have them check to see if all the recalls have been completed. (My 09 has just had two new recalls pop up this month and better to get these out of the way before you take delivery).

Last piece of advice is to read through the forum and see what everyone else has had problems with. The 2011's are not without their problems (as is every car).

Great vehicle (esp. when loaded with all the goodies). Wish mine had a heated steering wheel!

Edited by enigma-2

Well, I've seen a couple recently that were around 50k miles, a little more expensive, but would come with the remainder of the warranty. AFAIK, the factory warranty can be extended, correct? I got an extended warranty on my Fusion that I purchased around 60k miles.

The PTU is quite scary haha. I would say that I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and my father has a nice large heated garage with pretty much every tool imaginable, so I'm confident we could handle most issues.

I might be incorrect but I believe the suspension and ride you talk about being better are a little bit off in your opinion. I believe the MKX and Edge all share identical suspension components. LCA, Struts, etc. they are interchangable. The only difference may be due to some wheel sizes but then again those are interchangable also with Edges of the same wheel size. Thus you are not receiving an upgraded suspension system any more or less than a compariable Edge.

Thanks Mac, but I never said the MKX ride is better than the Edge. I assume you are correct that they have the same suspension components, and as far as I know the Lincoln is probably just quieter in the cabin. The only other consideration I have is the more powerful v6. I've read that the 3.5 might be a little under-powered so it hunts for gears more, especially if you have the larger wheels. Transmission constantly shifting would impact the feel in the cabin.

• Like 1

The only other consideration I have is the more powerful v6. I've read that the 3.5 might be a little under-powered so it hunts for gears more, especially if you have the larger wheels. Transmission constantly shifting would impact the feel in the cabin.

Never noticed this in mine. More than enough power.

Never noticed this in mine. More than enough power.

Funny you mention this as I tested a 2012 Edge 3.5L AWD and it was surprisingly powerful. I didn't think it was the least bit underpowered.

One additional question, as I did find a CPO from a private seller for $21k, which isn't bad. But I have found many for around $19k that are still under the factory powertrain warranty (to 70k). Is the PTU covered by the powertrain warranty? I read some discussion about whether it is or isn't and it didn't seem to be conclusive. I've thought about just extending that coverage if so.

Edited by whoathere

Funny you mention this as I tested a 2012 Edge 3.5L AWD and it was surprisingly powerful. I didn't think it was the least bit underpowered.

One additional question, as I did find a CPO from a private seller for $21k, which isn't bad. But I have found many for around $19k that are still under the factory powertrain warranty (to 70k). Is the PTU covered by the powertrain warranty? I read some discussion about whether it is or isn't and it didn't seem to be conclusive. I've thought about just extending that coverage if so.

Yes.

Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque

converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case,

transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings,

seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel

Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle

housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports,

seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.

Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear),

center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all

internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking

rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant

velocity joints.

Yes.

Thanks!

Need some help here, as I've narrowed it down to three vehicles. None of you are my wife, so don't be offended if I don't choose the one you think I should. We all know that there will be as little logic applied to this decision as possible.

All are 2011, AWD, and equipped with whatever package has rear heated seats/steering wheel, THX, BLIS, back-up cam, 20" wheels, ambient lighting. Non-smoker, no accidents.

1) $19,000 +TTL 78k miles, One-owner purchased at a Lincoln dealership, serviced at this dealership, traded in at this dealership. All maintenance records since new. Platinum White over tan interior, or whatever it's called with tow package. Within a couple hours drive from my house.

2) $20,500 +TTL 60k miles, purchased as a CPO out of lease in 2013. Two-Owner CPO $0 deductible warranty through 6/2018 or 133k miles as well as wheel and tire warranty. Has both key fobs, brand new Pirelli tires and has the 11 spoke 20" wheels. Bordeaux reserve (the maroon color) over tan interior as well as tow package. 5 hour drive, would take a $125 flight and drive home. Possibly worth noting "No issues with AWD system, or 'PTU' specifically."

3) $18,000 +TTL 63k miles, One-owner, accident free out of Canada. Has remainder of powertrain warranty. No maintenance records, other than what carfax shows. One key fob, but agreed to order another. Black on Black, no towing. Roughly a 12 hour drive, and a major pain to get to. No direct flights, at least a 4-5 hour travel time and then drive home.

I'm leaning towards 2 because it's only slightly inconvenient, but you cant touch a CPO for that price, at least that I've found. But, 3 does slightly intrigue me as I can extend that warranty on the powertrain and it would make me feel a little better about the lack of maintenance records.