Battery hold down

dxg

2008 Edge Ltd. It looks like I'm missing something but can't figure out what.

I have the long thin bolt stuck into the plastic wedge but it doesn't go past the wedge (maybe the end of the bolt broke or rusted away) so the whole thing just sits there loose. There is a hole in the battery tray but no captive nut or anything else for the bolt to thread into.

Does anyone know what I'm missing? Maybe a picture or parts diagram? Thanks

2008 Edge Ltd. It looks like I'm missing something but can't figure out what.

I have the long thin bolt stuck into the plastic wedge but it doesn't go past the wedge (maybe the end of the bolt broke or rusted away) so the whole thing just sits there loose. There is a hole in the battery tray but no captive nut or anything else for the bolt to thread into.

Does anyone know what I'm missing? Maybe a picture or parts diagram? Thanks

Perhaps this will help.....see attached file.

Edge_MKX_08 Battery.pdf

OK, I found the answer the hard way so I'm posting for future readers.

The long thin bolt goes through the plastic wedge block and screws into a clip nut that is part of the battery tray. Both the bolt and the clip nut rust and corrode with time and battery acid (yes the Motorcraft OEM batteries do leak enough acid to make a mess). Once they corrode it's impossible to take them apart and the first time someone tries to remove the bolt it will break the bolt and/or clip nut. In my case the end of the bolt is broken off and the clip nut is totally gone.

The expensive solution is to buy and install a new battery tray and new bolt. The clip nut is not sold individually.

The cheap and quick solution is to use a large diameter sheetmetal bolt. Find the largest bolt that barely goes through the wedge block. It will screw into the hole in the battery tray just about perfectly.

• Like 1

The expensive solution is to buy and install a new battery tray and new bolt. The clip nut is not sold individually.

The cheap and quick solution is to use a large diameter sheetmetal bolt. Find the largest bolt that barely goes through the wedge block. It will screw into the hole in the battery tray just about perfectly.

The risk of Rube Goldberging a battery and possibly failing causing short and fire is just not worth it. A failure in even a small impact (not necessarily a crash) is dangerous. Not worth the risk of shorting and fire imo. Edited by enigma-2

The risk of Rube Goldberging a battery ....

Ummmm... no, I'm not Rube-ing any battery, we're talking about the hold-down hardware here. Which would mostly come into play if you roll the vehicle. The edges of the tray restrain lateral and fore-aft movement of the battery. Easy enough to check how sturdy the hold-down is. Most new batteries come with a carrying handle or strap. Install the hardware and then pull up on the battery strap real hard.

Ummmm... no, I'm not Rube-ing any battery, we're talking about the hold-down hardware here. Which would mostly come into play if you roll the vehicle. The edges of the tray restrain lateral and fore-aft movement of the battery. Easy enough to check how sturdy the hold-down is. Most new batteries come with a carrying handle or strap. Install the hardware and then pull up on the battery strap real hard.

What are your credentials?

Ummmm... no, I'm not Rube-ing any battery, we're talking about the hold-down hardware here. Which would mostly come into play if you roll the vehicle.

In an accident, you figure the momentum causes a part to weigh 8x it's normal weight. Say a battery weighs 40 lbs. In an accident it now weighs over 300 lbs.

Why screw around with the possibly of having a battery come loose and short out, supplying hundreds of amperes across a short? All for the price of a simple nut that costs under $9?

Ebay item number: 281886479070

You can get a whole new battery tray for $45.

Gentlemen,

Sorry I created such a stir (or maybe people have too much time with the holidays). I suggested 2 alternatives. I am not trying to convince anyone to follow what I did. Just trying to be helpful. As all anonymous info on the web, you should use your own judgment.

@enigma-2:

The nut you saw on eBay is NOT the nut the hold-down screws into. Look at the picture carefully. The hold-down screws into a clip-nut that is part of the tray and is not sold separately.

• Like 1