Need New Battery

tomsoxfan

AGM will work fine with the Edge. It is an evolution of the simple lead acid battery where the electrolyte, instead of being free to slosh around inside, is carried by an absorbent glass mat (AGM). This makes the battery more durable, reliable, and consistent in performance. I believe you can even install it in any position but upside down, or so I have heard. The main downside might be that AGM batteries tend to be heavier than their standard counterparts.

Interstate, Odyssey, Optima for lead acid type batteries. Motorcraft group 65 will fit, and you can get an 850 CCA (POWERFUL) unit in that group size, I'd go with that where you live. Group 65 is the way to go if you want heavy duty power for sure.

• Like 3

I get fast starts at -5° using an older 650 CCA. (09 MKX, fully loaded, battery getting red diode on Solar BA-7, charge system gets green diode.) Wonder if the extra cost of an 850 CCA is worth it.

Can you make an estimate of how much longer than an AGM would outlast a lead acid?

Edited by enigma-2

I have read "unofficial" accounts that AGM batteries have 50% or greater charge/discharge cycles than standard "flooded" batteries (300 vs 200, for instance). Gel cell batteries supposedly can last 3 times as long as AGMs (!), but usually are not as powerful as AGMs.

Here's one mfr's take on their AGM batteries:

http://www.mkbattery.com/images/VRLA_TechManual.pdf

A summary of AGM factoids:

http://www.surplusbattery.com/batteryimg/10_facts_about_agm_batteries.html

I have read "unofficial" accounts that AGM batteries have 50% or greater charge/discharge cycles than standard "flooded" batteries (300 vs 200, for instance). Gel cell batteries supposedly can last 3 times as long as AGMs (!), but usually are not as powerful as AGMs

Hey thanks. Interesting that gels loose their power below 32°. Really looks like it comes down to costs vs. longevity return.

I am getting this Odessy battery delivered tomorrow 950CCA and an AGM battery. Should crank up the Edge in even the coldest weather plus full replacement for four years. I will be making a video on this battery for a review when it arrives. Note: A little on the pricy side but if it lasts for 7-10 like they are touting then it will be worth it.

http://www.odysseybattery.com

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 3

• 5 years later...

I am hoping to follow up this thread by asking if anyone can recommend an AGM battery with very good reserve capacity and CCA for my 2015 Ford Edge, SEL, 6 cylinder AWD?

It is challenging finding a specific recommendation for a high performance AGM battery for this vehicle.  

On 2/17/2016 at 8:43 PM, macbwt said:

I am getting this Odessy battery delivered tomorrow 950CCA and an AGM battery. Should crank up the Edge in even the coldest weather plus full replacement for four years. I will be making a video on this battery for a review when it arrives. Note: A little on the pricy side but if it lasts for 7-10 like they are touting then it will be worth it.

http://www.odysseybattery.com

Hey Macbwt, it's been 5 years. How's it holding up ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 11:07 PM, enigma-2 said:

Hey Macbwt, it's been 5 years. How's it holding up ?

Made it 5 yrs then I left the dash cam running for weeks and seriously killed the battery by discharging it too low.  I have a new Odyssey Battery now.

• Like 1