Dear owners can you confirm that your edge 2015/2016 has real leather seats and steering wheel wrapper?

t0lkman

Dear owners can you confirm that your edge 2015/2016 has real leather seats and steering wheel wrapper?

I shouldn't butt in here when I'm not really sure..... but I believe I once read in this Forum that the seats aren't fully leather. However, I'm not smart enough with the Forum to know how to find that topic. I hope one of you regulars can help the guy with the question.

If I remember correctly, there was an animal lover that couldn't stand that some animal was killed for the leather..... or something like that. Never mind that the leather is just a by-product of an animal maybe killed for the meat, etc. Thanks! Jack

"Leather-faced" seating is very popular at Ford. Maybe at Lincoln, it is actually full leather?

Wasn't in the past, not sure about the new Continental.

If you think about it, you never really touch the other parts of the seats anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is standard practice from other mfrs too.

Edited by akirby

My friends new Lexus has Almost real leather seats and trim. He was told by the salesman that this was an improvement over leather. It does feel nice, Just not as nice as the real thing. I remember vinyl seating in the past and how it would crack after a few years. It is also verrrrry cold in the winter. Natural leather is a fairly good insulator because of its fibrous nature. I was in the leather business for over 25 years and there is nothing that can compare to nice natural grain and hand.

My 2007 has leather seat surfaces in the front and most of the back. There is definitely an improvement in manmade products but they don't compare to the real thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At least it has "leather faced" seats! You know all toyotas' are pleather (softex).

The reason I've asked is I'm wavering between Santa Fe Sport and Ford Edge, and a lot of people on santa fe forums complain about their pleather on steering wheel is peeling!

Add another one to that complaint list. I had a 2011 Kia Sportage AWD turbo and the steering wheel most definitely started peeling within a year. The dealership said it was most likely due to my ex's hand lotion. Seemed a little ridiculous.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if it's 100% leather (can you ever really know these days?)

'16 SEL here, what I do know is the "leather" is much softer and comfy than my '14 f150s leather *cough* vinyl...

That stuff was so cheap feeling and you'd be stuck/sweating on it in a mere moment. My edge has ebony and even on 90 degree day it doesn't feel as hot or sticky. I really think it looks and feels great as well as the steering wheel. It's definitely got a leather feel to it