"AC" button failure... dealer offers to replace it all for $1300 ;)

After my last adventure with the vista sunroof, that - as turned out - is not covered by warranty in 2years old car, nothing could surprise me. How wrong I was...

This little tiny button lives its own life. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I never realized it until this winter - living in the Middle East does not really force me to use it too often - AC usually stays on at all times. Yet it failed recently. Just like that - I though my hand was too sweaty or something, but all other buttons worked just fine...

I can still use the LCD to navigate through climate settings and turn the aircon on and off. But the "physical" button does not work anymore.

During my last week's 80k inspection I was charged extra $53 (20BHD) to perform A/C inspection that would confirm what I have reported - that the button has given up. Further investigation revealed that the whole entertainment system has to be replaced to fix the issue (I have the Sony system).

I am amazed they didn't offer me a brand new car as a replacement for the button!!!!!!!

And I have heard some more ridiculous news from other car dealers, but they were never delivered in such plain, open and honest way... Does Ford they really have customers who are willing to pay for the crap they offer in service? Or is it just my service adviser who didn't have a training in sales and dealing with basic human emotions? Any good sales would turn such case in an opportunity to sell me something more, while these guys just gave me a price like as if they were saying "f...off - we won't fix it and there is nothing you can do about it".

post-28725-0-05574100-1456981500_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Screen-In-dash-Car-GPS-DVD-Player-Navigation-Radio-Stereo-For-Ford-Edge-/231434790711?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AEdge|Submodel%3ASport&hash=item35e296a737:g:DoYAAOSwKrhVXYxv&vxp=mtr

If only I didn't have the Sony system...

looks suprisingly similar. I wonder if it would fit instead of my OEM system and how much of the functionality would remain (e.g. rear view cam, ambient light color change, etc...)

Edited by arabski

The panel is all one piece and is built around a big circuit board. If you get a puncture in your tire, you wouldn't expect the dealer to just replace the part of the tire that has the hole, would you? If the bottom corner of your smart phone stopped working, you wouldn't expect that you could just replace the bottom corner of the screen right? Same thing with the panel on the Edge.

If you don't use it that much and can still make it work from the touchscreen, why bother fixing it at all?

Edited by Waldo

Hi Waldo, yes - it makes perfect sense to replace a phone when you crack your screen, but if your iphone had only 8 buttons and one of them just failed for no reason and that specific phone screen cost $1,300 to replace - you would get upset... I guess I expect too much from Ford :(

Arabski, I just remembered, in 2013 or 2014, the panel was changed to have a physical button for the hazard lights (flashers), earlierm Odell had a capacetive (touch) button. Make sure you get the newer one.

Also, before changing the part, I suggest you remove it & see if the circuit at the back might be out of position which is causing it not to work. Maybe it can be fixed.

Hi Waldo, yes - it makes perfect sense to replace a phone when you crack your screen, but if your iphone had only 8 buttons and one of them just failed for no reason and that specific phone screen cost $1,300 to replace - you would get upset... I guess I expect too much from Ford :(

But it's not a separate button. It's one big circuit board. If one button failed on your wall oven do you think you could buy one button to fix it? You have to buy the entire circuit board and whatever it's attached to.

Why do you need to turn it on and off manually? Just let the auto climate control manage it. I don't think I've touched my A/C button in years. Auto climate will turn it on and off as needed.

I don't know what's underneath the touch button - it might be possible to clean it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...