I recently tried to get a set of 6500K HID lights (KIT) for my 07 Edge, the company said that the Edge is the only car they could NOT install them, they said they look great! but...when the daytime lights are on the HID's would flicker, the only way I could have the HID's are to have the head lights in the ON position ALL the time? they said they were digital headlights and needed a relay switch and something else ( I am not too techy) and it would cost alot of $. The set I was installing were $199+taxes. anybody tried to intall after market HID Lights?

I would appreciate it if someone has had success with HID's

my email is sonyguy19@hotmail.com

I recently tried to get a set of 6500K HID lights (KIT) for my 07 Edge, the company said that the Edge is the only car they could NOT install them, they said they look great! but...when the daytime lights are on the HID's would flicker, the only way I could have the HID's are to have the head lights in the ON position ALL the time? they said they were digital headlights and needed a relay switch and something else ( I am not too techy) and it would cost alot of $. The set I was installing were $199+taxes. anybody tried to intall after market HID Lights?

I would appreciate it if someone has had success with HID's

my email is sonyguy19@hotmail.com

search these forums and you will find several threads on this topic that will answer most all of your questions (and raise some I am sure).

here is just 1

Anyway.. I understand from reading several forums on the HID topic for the Edge that you must have the DRL (daytime running light) feature turned off. this can be done quickly at the dealer - but not something you can deactivate yourself.

as for your other question about relay usage. many here, and elsewhere, report no need for a relay and just use plug and play kits. fewer have mentioned using them. but on one of the key threads here on this topic, there is mention of a relay needed. genrally, it seems the consensus is that you would want a digital ballast type HID kit - which you can buy from vendors here or on the web at like retro-solutions.com and install yourself. the retrosolutions guy claimed that you could use a relay kit if desired as some added protection, BUT it was not his opinion that with a good digital ballast kit, that was even necessary. I will let you read and decipher as you wish, that thread is here

I already ordered and will install a digital ballast kit - plug and play - without the relay based on what I learned and is mentioned in that 2nd thread and another massive HID topic on another HID specific forum.

enjoy... it is an interesting topic filled with opinions and jargon and many kit options.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Hey Lex,

I saw a kit on the site you recommended. It had the digital ballasts for $439.00. Is that the kit you bought?

my bad... posted wrong URL - it is reported spam link and I I did this digital kit 35w, 5000w, lifetime warranty, blah blah blah... as my other posts shows in the other thread, spoke with the guy, ultra knowledgeable, very helpful. if you use him, tell him you saw it here :)

now, whether you use cbren71's kit sold here or retros (or someone elses for that matter) just DO NOT USE the eBay VVME, flashplus guys.. O my God.. horror story to work with, worst seller I have ever dealt with as it was a horror show and had to get eBay and PP involved (but I prevailed).. so stay clear of them!!!

Edited by Lex Talionis

I am about to make the plunge into HIDs as well. I am going to purchase a set of 6000k HIDs for the Edge (H11 and 9005). The only thing I need to find out is where to put the ballasts.

Hey PrinzII...not trying to burst your bubble but check out some of the threads on HIDs over the past couple of weeks.

Where to put the ballasts will be the least of your problems. Some are lucky right away but alot of us have had many

complications with HIDs and the Edge so just make sure to do your homework.

Hey PrinzII...not trying to burst your bubble but check out some of the threads on HIDs over the past couple of weeks.

Where to put the ballasts will be the least of your problems. Some are lucky right away but alot of us have had many

complications with HIDs and the Edge so just make sure to do your homework.

correct me if I am wrong, but your first troubles did not involve digital ballast HID kits? and now you have ordered a digital ballast kit yourself to try IIRC? it seems them being digital is one of the key factors in success or not.

also, the good thing about the retro-solutions kit is that if you feel it necessary, they have an inexpensive relay kit (like $10), but as that transcript showed elsewhere I posted, and Tiffany talked about with digital ballast installs they do at their shop, you should not likely need that.

I am predicting success for you this time :)

We will find out Tuesday as I have my kit sitting here ready... and I just got a call that the car is in and they are prepping it out..... so I will know my Tuesday :)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Hey Lex,

You are right...i'm keeping my fingers crossed that the digital ballasts solves my problem. Chad is shipping my

kit out to me tomorrow so i should have it soon. The kit also comes with the relay harness so the first thing i'm

going to try is just adding that to my McCullogh kit that is already installed. If that works, then i'll know that was

my problem with the 'non-digital' ballasts. If it doesn't, then i'll be swapping in the entire kit for the new one to see

if the ballasts are the real issue.

I've been doing more research on this topic and have seen some people solve the "strobe or flicker" by swapping

out their 10amp fuse with a 20amp fuse. I've trying to determine if this could cause a problem with the factory

wiring as it was obviously not designed for that fuse. I've seen some kits with that swap actually in their instructions

but don't want to try it until I can find out for sure.

Ya, please post your results as soon as you get that kit in there, i hope it works for you...and me ;)

that relay test is a good first trouble shooting step to see where you stand with non-digital ballasts. good call. however, whether you prove it to be the relay need on non-digital ballasts or not, I would still want the digital ballast installed in the end. That Digital vs. conventional HID specs chart is pretty convincing info over at retro-solutions website.

I will post up my results as soon as my kit is installed tomorrow. I opted to not do the relay - as you now already - so you and I are about to get a little bit more definitive on this Edge vs HID issue in the coming week.

good luck.

BTW, I could see how going to a 20amp from 10amp could be a real potential issue as it would allow more load to flow prior to blowing the fuse - which could be a potential issue. no guarantee, just a potential as those fuses are there to be blown. kind of sounds like if people are going from a 10 to a 20 and stopping that flickering, that only some seem to report, it must be just about exhausting that 10amp and 20 gives a buffer.

I am going to report initial SUCESS with my digital, 5000k, 35w kit from retro-solutions. :yahoo:

now, I say initial as I have only seen in the day, not night and no real tests - so I reserve the right to change my mind IF night time shows something I cannot see now (flickering or static interference - which digital are not suppose to do). It was a piece of cake to install. seriously. maybe 15 minutes to install... I spent more time, no joke, placing the ballast and there is a perfect vertical spot on each side to place them near your lights and I just used double sided foam tape and attached the wires by a few zip ties to surrounding wires for additional cleanliness and ballast support. looks clean and semi-factory. easy access still to get to, yet out of the way. The one thing that was a bit surprising, despite having read it many times, is the buzz they give off. wow, little louder than I expected IF the hood is open, but can't hear with car running and hood closed of course.

hint 1.. on this kit you will have 2 pig tails (loose ends of blue and black) on each light side from the HID kit that get pushed into the factory harness left open by the old bulb removal. the HID Blue goes in the brown with blue stripe and the HID black goes in the black with green stripe. Now, your colors might vary, but the goal is to match the HID blue to a wire with a blue and the HID black to a wire with black. Todd says it does not matter really, but hey, this is 'correct' way to do it if you want to get picky.. and I did :)

hint 2.. REMOVE the opaque plastic ring that sits behind the orange/red seal (pull it over the seal or pull the seal of and take that off) - that should not be installed!

good luck all. .. I will report back after a night or usage and see how it really pans out.

(yes, pictures will come at a later date... trying to get accessories mounted and taking photos, just not uploading them yet until have time and all done).

UPDATE: just went out and checked them out. wow... sweeeet. just a tad hint of blue in 5000k and hella nice looking. turn on the brights and you are like ick... the brights I did not do of course.. just saying if you do it you will see just how yellow and dingy and low light they are compared to white, clean, bright light. wow.

Edited by Lex Talionis