Lex- I'll have to check when I go home tonight. Do you mean the wire that goes the length of the HID bulb? Also, aren't the tabs on the bulbs made

so they will only go in 1 way?

Ā 

I cannot say yet if they can only go in 1 way.. I think they can flip flop 180 degrees so they could maybe be in upside down.

Ā 

from what I understand, the ceramic covered wire in the bulb is white and obvious.. I will report back after I have my Cheerios and go out and adjust mine

Ā 

UPDATE: yeah, mine face down as they should.

Edited by Lex Talionis

One more question- On the spade connections that go into the stock connector, does it matter which wire goes into which slot?

Ā 

at the start of this thread (maybe page 2) I talk about lining the colors up on those pigtails to match the factory harness.. Todd says it really should not matter, but I went ahead and figured out color to color match and it mentions it earlier on.

yes, those pigtails, as per other posts where I mention how the colors line up wire to wire, push into your factory harness. may not seem water resistant, I just electrical taped mine like 99% of the other stuff under the hood is. pretty high up connection, so I am not worried.. but a boot of some type would be nice.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

yes, I agree on this 100%. I noticed while driving in AZ recently. Just this very morning I started having emails with Todd about it and he is going to have me check a list of a few things... but my personal guess is that it is our stock not HID compliant reflectors. it is noticable and I would like to correct it if possible, but could live with it if not. I was going to wait until I had cause and fix before I posted about it, but since you mention it....

Ā 

this is an overlay of what I am seeing... I will post up when I check his 4 points and we will see if this is adjustable. sorry for crap photo, but the goal was nothing more then to try to snap a photo so I could outline the edge to make a point.

Ā 

jaggedbeams.jpg

Ā 

Your beam pattern and mine are the same. I'll post pics later with both high and low beam.

Ā 

I am wondering if we have to make some adjustments since the beam looks like it's going left.

OK- one more problem. I keep my lights in the auto position with the fog light switch pulled out. I also have a remote starter. When I start the Edge with the starter, the HID's turn on, and then turn off when the engine turns over. Once your in the vehicle, the only way to get the headlights back on is to turn the light switch to the off position, then back to the auto position.

OK- one more problem. I keep my lights in the auto position with the fog light switch pulled out. I also have a remote starter. When I start the Edge with the starter, the HID's turn on, and then turn off when the engine turns over. Once your in the vehicle, the only way to get the headlights back on is to turn the light switch to the off position, then back to the auto position.

Ā 

This will be an unsolvable problem for you. It has to do with how the remote starter energizes specific systems in the car.

yep.. just got off the phone with Todd this am and we got to talking about this plastic piece and sure enough, as you can see in my photos, I left on that plastic opaque ring that sits behind the red rubber seal thinking it was used to sandwhich in the rubber seal.. :wacko: , so for tiaquessa and I, this just might be the reason for the whacky jagged pattern we are getting as that piece is not allowing the bulb to go in and seat the full distance into the reflector it is suppose to. In retrospect, I recalled thinking it odd that the bulb did not turn home as far as the OEM did, but it did turn home and stay solid so I assumed that is just how it was, and this piece is the reason why!

Ā 

I will report back tonight the effect removing that piece had on my light pattern. :)

Ā 

so, it seems this did not fix that jagged edge issue. it still persists despite removing that plastic ring. In emailing Todd, he responded....

Ā 

The driver side looks better than the passenger side, but the driver side I can see the domestic DOT pattern there, looks exactly like the new style Mustang stock output funny enough. So in essence, the Driver side is a typical result for a US manufactured vehicle DOT spec. (there is a different DOT spec for domestic vehicles versus imports). Try swapping the bulbs to the opposite sides, just to rule out that flaring on the passenger side coming from the bulb itself.

Ā 

this is looking more and more like just the way it is - which is plenty fine with me - and just a result of a not HID friendly reflector in the Edges. Just wanted to get to the bottom of it.

Lex: Do you plan to do high beam HID as well? I can honestly say that the lows work well but when the highs are kicked in, it adds a greater dimension to your visibility.

Ā 

no, no plans to do highs. I rarely ever use highs to be honest and the lows are good for me. I was also under the impression that on not Bi light systems, like the Edge. using HID on the high beams was not as advantageous as the halogen because the instant on time needed and quick flash usage of high beams here and there for immediate instant on bright high beam needs was better served by halogen than HID ballast system. I agree it would look better for sure, but I am going to pass at this stage.

Update: Well, this morning I was going to work, and looking at the car in front of me, I noticed that the left light never went on. I toggled the headlight switch, and it finally came on. Later on, I tried turning them on and off a few times, and found the left one is starting to have trouble. Is this the ballast doing this?

Update: Well, this morning I was going to work, and looking at the car in front of me, I noticed that the left light never went on. I toggled the headlight switch, and it finally came on. Later on, I tried turning them on and off a few times, and found the left one is starting to have trouble. Is this the ballast doing this?

Ā 

I would first check my connections especially the pigtails to make sure they are seated well. I taped mine with electrical tape just to be safe.

I would first check my connections especially the pigtails to make sure they are seated well. I taped mine with electrical tape just to be safe.

Ā 

Additionally, definitely make sure that the plug from ballast to harness is seated tightly. I had that problem when installing them but found it was the plug not being seated tightly.

Edited by PrinzII

Well, I think its "bye-bye" for the HID's. The way the pattern is broken up just really pisses me off everytime I drive at night (which is every night from work). I'm just going to stick to the H9 low beams I bought prior to these. They are actually brighter than the stock H11's. Maybe I'll switch back to the HID's someday if they come out with a projector housing.

• 1 month later...
my bad... posted wrong URL - it is reported spam link and I I did this digital kit 35w, 5000w, lifetime warranty, blah blah blah... as my other posts shows in the other thread, spoke with the guy, ultra knowledgeable, very helpful. if you use him, tell him you saw it here :)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

now, whether you use cbren71's kit sold here or retros (or someone elses for that matter) just DO NOT USE the eBay VVME, flashplus guys.. O my God.. horror story to work with, worst seller I have ever dealt with as it was a horror show and had to get eBay and PP involved (but I prevailed).. so stay clear of them!!!

Ā 

Ā 

damn that's awesome.... only $160 (shipped) and lifetime warranty w/ what seems to be pretty good support. sweet! now I know exactly what to order. if they would give a referral fee u should get it :rockon: