Vibration at idle in 2007

pilotdog68

I have a 2007 FWD with 112k miles. Right at 500rpm you can feel vibration in the steering wheel and there is an audible low rumble, almost like a bass note if I had subs installed. I just bought it used so I thought it might need a tune up, so I changed the spark plugs (old ones were around .075") and ran 2 bottles of Techron, but that made no difference. The idle isn't actually rough (and no error codes), I think it just happens to be the right frequency to resonate the interior body panels making it very loud on the inside, but quiet and smooth on the outside. Increasing rpms up to 600 or 700 makes it go away completely, which I think rules out the torque converter because that should vibrate more under more stress, right?

I'll try to check for motor mounts next, as that's the only thing I can think of. How much movement in the mounts is 'normal'? And wouldn't I notice some other symptoms if it was the mounts?

It probably isn't much to be worried about, but it really is annoying at red lights or just idling in a parking lot waiting for someone. At all other RPMs she's as smooth as as can be.

(I also replied to an old topic that was in the 2008 specific forum, but I think this could be an issue other models years experienced)

Back in the day on rear wheel drive cars, there was an easy way to check for broken motor mounts. Have someone you trust put it in drive with foot on brake and give it a little gas but DON'T MOVE THE CAR. You will look at the engine during this to see if the engine jacks up higher than normal. Do this again in reverse gear. You'll know if its not normal movement. Good luck

• Like 1

Not saying it is the transmission torque mount, but your Edge has some low miles on it for the Transmission Torque mount or motor mounts to fail. Not that it is not possible for a failure. Easy to check. Hit the E brake and then start putting it into gear fwd and rev then watch the mounts and transmission torque mount. I have two videos showing a failed torque mount on a 2008 and a good mount on a 2011 hope this helps. The drivers side motor mount is located under the air box.

Not saying it is the transmission torque mount, but your Edge has some low miles on it for the Transmission Torque mount or motor mounts to fail. Not that it is not possible for a failure. Easy to check. Hit the E brake and then start putting it into gear fwd and rev then watch the mounts and transmission torque mount. I have two videos showing a failed torque mount on a 2008 and a good mount on a 2011 hope this helps. The drivers side motor mount is located under the air box.

Yep, I've watched your video. I'll see if I can find a helper to record for me to see while I do the same test. I'm just not sure I'll be able to tell if it isn't really obvious.

Anything else you think it could be? I'm stumped, and I don't want to do the mounts unless I know for sure they're bad.

I convinced my wife to lay under the car and record video while I drove it back and forth. LOL Just kidding don't do that!!! I just laid the camera facing up or propped it a bit facing up then went for it. The second video I used my gopro which really worked pretty well. by the way that clinking noise with the 2008 video is the right front sway bar link that I discovered was broken. The 2011 test shows how a good condition torque mount should behave.

Yep, I've watched your video. I'll see if I can find a helper to record for me to see while I do the same test. I'm just not sure I'll be able to tell if it isn't really obvious.

Anything else you think it could be? I'm stumped, and I don't want to do the mounts unless I know for sure they're bad.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1