New Edge owner: What fluids should I use?

pilotdog68

There are a few threads out there on this topic, but not much recently. I just bought a 2007 SEL FWD at 111k miles and unknown maintenance history.

1. I'm going to swap out 5-6qts of transmission fluid. Am I better off using SuperTech Mercon V, or Valvoline Maxlife synthetic (which is now formulated for Mercon LV, but the recently updated spec sheet also lists Mercon V)?

2. I'll be doing an oil change for the upcoming summer. I was planning on one qt of 5w40 Rotella T6, then fill the rest with 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum. I will probably put a little Seafoam in a couple hundred miles before changing. Anybody see any issues with that plan?

3. I just changed the spark plugs and air filters, and ran some Techron through the gas tank. What other little maintenance things am I forgetting that should be done on a used car?

Thanks

Edited by pilotdog68

Welcome,

First thing is:

1. replace ALL transmission fluid by exchanging at 100 percent of the fluid not just a drain and fill.

2. use Mercon V fluid only as it was designed to operate on this type fluid (don't get inventive)

3. Only use the oil recommended!! the VVT requires the viscosity to operate the timing of your engine. Thickening it up will lead to other issues, plus lower fuel efficiency.

4. Flush or exchange the power steering fluid with MERCON V

5. Bleed and replace the entire fluid from the brakes since it should go no further than 5 years you will need to bleed and replace the brake fluid with DOT 3 or better brake fluid.

6. Flush out and replace the coolant remember that you need to pay attention to the color and type. The edge's have went through three coolant upgrades since your model year. Use the coolant for your model year.

What part of Iowa? I am in Davenport.

Welcome,

First thing is:

1. replace ALL transmission fluid by exchanging at 100 percent of the fluid not just a drain and fill.

2. use Mercon V fluid only as it was designed to operate on this type fluid (don't get inventive)

3. Only use the oil recommended!! the VVT requires the viscosity to operate the timing of your engine. Thickening it up will lead to other issues, plus lower fuel efficiency.

4. Flush or exchange the power steering fluid with MERCON V

5. Bleed and replace the entire fluid from the brakes since it should go no further than 5 years you will need to bleed and replace the brake fluid with DOT 3 or better brake fluid.

6. Flush out and replace the coolant remember that you need to pay attention to the color and type. The edge's have went through three coolant upgrades since your model year. Use the coolant for your model year.

What part of Iowa? I am in Davenport.

Thanks for the reply

1. I've read many places that you should not immediately do a full tranny flush on a car that has never had one done (something about suspended particles actually being beneficial to clutch plates short-term, removing them could cause slipping). Do you not agree with this? I wouldn't take it to a shop anyways, so it would be multiple drain-and-fills.

2. So you're saying don't use the valvoline synthetic? The only reason I was considering it was because it does list Mercon V on the spec sheet, and I wasn't sure of the quality of SuperTech products.

3. Alright, I'll skip the Rotella. My thinking was just that the minuscule difference in density would be beneficial in the summer months.

4-6. Got any video tutorials on how to do these? Edit1: Looks like I can use a turkey baster for the power steering. I've done a brake bleed on my mtn bike before, but I'd be a little nervous about getting bubbles in my Edge.

I'm in the Des Moines area

Edited by pilotdog68

Ford recommends 10W-30 in our region (Arabian Gulf / Middle East) where temperatures in the summer easily exceed 120F.

attachicon.gifOil - Middle East.JPG

The plot thickens!

Also, my manual calls for Mercon V for tranny, but Mercon for steering. I know the Mercon V fluid was adapted or something so that Ford could discontinue the standard Mercon, but would I be better off with an aftermarket Mercon equivalent instead of Mercon V for the steering?

Edited by pilotdog68

Pilot Just join MACTFORDEDGE on facebook and get some pretty quick responses.

As to the power steering use the Mercon V, which is the same for the transmission. Drain and fill is OK I choose to go have it done with the machine (far quicker and less mess) I paid 140-150 dollars for the transmission fluid change.

Brake fluid just watch what I did on the video with the 2011 and my then 12 year old daughter. If she can do it so can you. Just make sure you the one helping communicate and coordinate. MercyGirl never did this before and she figured out how to hold the brake pedal down.

Just go with the valvoline you will be fine.

Note on transmission fluid. If you change the fluid and it starts to slip then remember this the transmission was already dead you were just borrowing time. A good well maintained transmission will suffer on effects from a fluid change. Yours only has 110K mile or so and should be in relatively good shape even if it was not changed. The 6F50 transmission is one of the better transmission I have ever had to deal with and hold up pretty good even through some abuse.

Again, Join the facebook group but keep on returning here as this forum has some great information and allows you to have even more options to gain information.

By the way I was just East of Des Moines Friday.

I've read a lot of his posts, I've got my fingers crossed I'll get another reply from him/others. This forum is a little slower than a few others I'm on.