Is the Turbo-charged Engine a Concern?

As with any turbo, allow it time to cool before you shut the engine down. End your drive with moderate to easy driving, maybe even a bit of idling.

Had 4 VW turbo diesels and a turbo diesel Excursion. Never had a turbo problem and I pretty much always allow them to cool, especially the Excursion when towing.

Don't hot rod home and shut it down.

Edited by DRbillZ

As with any turbo, allow it time to cool before you shut the engine down. End your drive with moderate to easy driving, maybe even a bit of idling.

Had 4 VW turbo diesels and a turbo diesel Excursion. Never had a turbo problem and I pretty much always allow them to cool, especially the Excursion when towing.

Don't hot rod home and shut it down.

That advice is 20 years old. I always let me TT RX7 cool down, but never worry about it on my MKT EB. Ford's EB engines are designed to not require pre-shut down cooling.

My selection to buy the V-6 over the turbo-four was caused a lingering invalid concern from "the days of old". I was really more concerned with the employed direct injection technology which I know to be problematic in the valvetrane of these DI engines after they hit mid-life. (mileage wise) I will watch for this issue as owners of the DI motors hit that mid-life realm to see if this concern is invalid also.

Edited by Chipster