replacing button start and key

ok, this is odd. i just purchased a salvage 2013 edge sel. per the vin and a youtube video uploaded by the dealership who sold this car to the last person it had keyless entry and remote start.

i was given a standard key and no button inside...not sure who changed that.

so, does anyone think its easily possible to replace the igniton switch and buy/program the correct keyfob? seems like the car might already have all the antennas and such. i havent had the chance to bring it by a dealership to get their take on it.

I have my doubts that someone would (nor could) they remove your keyless entry system and replace it with a standard/keyed ignition.

Did you check the original Windows sticker to ensure it was included from the factory?

Short answer, no. It's not even feasible.

There's no way anyone would go to the trouble of changing it, the wiring and programming of at least 4-5 modules would have to be changed and not even a dealer is trained on how to do that. Swapping the VIN would be a lot easier than converting from keyless to keyed.

so maybe i am overthinking this. i havent actually driven a 2013 edge with keyless so maybe its just a keyfob thing

this is the car...before the wreck

how does it work if it were there? i am used to my previous nissan keyless entry and push button. just grab the handle, get in and push the start button. is that how the 2013 edge is?

maybe they refer to keyless entry as the keypad and it has remote start but no fob for it and no actual push button. any idea what i need if this is the case? whole new key fob or separate keyfob just for remote start?

Edited by Lance Moss

Ford has always referred to the keypad and remote as "keyless" entry. The system like your Nissan is available but is called "Intelligent Access".

And to answer your real question, no, there is no hope you could add the "intelligent Access" to your SEL.

Or look for a little funny antenna between the rear view mirror and the windshield. That's where they put the "dealer installed accessory" remote start - which could show up as an option on the window sticker.

Not necessarily (just as a note of caution). If the 100 series was the oem option, there would not be the extended aerial antenna (required for bi-directional or long range RS versions).

Does your keyfob have a remote start button (circular arrow with a 2x)?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so it does have remote start but it is aftermarket. i found the module and wiring but it is unlabled...so now to find the manufacture and get the keyfob for it :-( You can actually see part of it in the video under the steering column...a small module screwed to the plastic. that is a button of some sort...i assume to pair a key fob.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's just not feasible...

Can I ask why you purchased the car if it did not have what you wanted?

Agreed, all these options you are questioning would have taken about 5 mins to verify vehicle had during a walk around / test drive. Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework!