3 Things I really hate about my 2008 EDGE

Tiffany

Since people from Ford are reading this string, I wanted to mention a post that was just put over on the Blue Oval (Edge) forum:

I few people have questioned why the BAMR controls are lighted on the MKX and not the Edge. Someone just added a post saying that he took the switch control apart hoping to add LED's to the switches and lo and behold: The are ALREADY there! Apparently they are not lighted because Ford did not run a wire up the A-pillar from the dash lighting controls to the switch. This wire is on the Lincoln. What's even more puzzling is that the Edge DOES have the necessary ground wire.

This just makes no sense. The sunroof controls really should be lighted in these vehicles and if the LED's are already there, why leave out a 10 cent wire? Ford should issue a service bulletin for this and install the wire to illuminate these controls if a customer requests it.

I am by no means an electrical expert, especially when it comes to automobiles, but there has to be power up there for the roof right? Could it be tapped into for the lights?

I still don't understand why they wouldn't hook it up. I know the Edge shares parts with the MKX but why would you skimp out on putting in a wire. It's not a huge expense and its more a convience thing than a luxury item. I wouldn't buy the MKX just because it has the lighted switch up there. I am sure there must be a relatively easy way to get this hooked up. I hope some of the more electrically inclined can assist.

Clayton

I am by no means an electrical expert, especially when it comes to automobiles, but there has to be power up there for the roof right? Could it be tapped into for the lights?

I still don't understand why they wouldn't hook it up. I know the Edge shares parts with the MKX but why would you skimp out on putting in a wire. It's not a huge expense and its more a convience thing than a luxury item. I wouldn't buy the MKX just because it has the lighted switch up there. I am sure there must be a relatively easy way to get this hooked up. I hope some of the more electrically inclined can assist.

Clayton

Based on my experience with complicated software projects I'd say it's probably not a conscious decision to disable them but rather some series of events or even unrelated issues that led to that result. It's more likely that the Edge was originally going to get a cheaper control panel without the LEDs but it turned out to be easier and/or cheaper to use the same one for both vehicles but they didn't go back and change the wiring harness on the Edge.

If it was done to save money then you wouldn't have the LEDs in there to begin with - they're expensive (compared to a wire).

Are you saying that all we have to do is run a wire to the headlamp fuse to make the switch LED's work?

That is correct. According to the person who posted in the Blue Oval Forum, the circuit board in the swich pack already has the LED's in place and they work when you supply 12v to the pin. The only thing missing is the feed wire which IS in place on the MKX. I assume these vehicles are made on the same assy line, and if that is the case, it's really puzzling why this wire is left out on the edge. It just makes no sense (to me anyway.)

I didn't want to copy his post here, but it has a great picture of the switch asssembly (opened up) and a good explanation of what he found and how to correct it so they will be illuminated. Here is the link to the post. It's towards the bottom on page 2

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...20&start=20

Edited by Williston

I had to write this,

1, You can't vent the Vista roof without fully opening the sun shade.. SUCKS

2. mpg...HORRIBLE..I drive very easy too.

3. Navigation - NO POI's hardly, I had to find a big school in Ann Arbor MI, not there and they are next to a large well known Church - not there either. THEY WERE THERE IN MY CHEAP MIO NAVI - THANK GOD

and the GUI is very confussing, I found several mistakes in screens too. I am a programmer and a developer.

Maybe Ford will read this. If this does not change, this is my last FORD!!!

What are you top 3 gripes.

After six weeks, there's nothing I don't like about my 08 Edge SEL. I decided against the vista roof because I could see it may be problematic. The gas mileage is fine, handling is great, braking is a little rough, but I think that's because its still new and may take some getting used to.

A few more picks

1) The little mat in the door handles to cover the screws - they dont even fit properly - at least not on mine

2) No indicator to tell you headights are on. Around here there are many times when it is dusk/foggy/etc, and with Auto Lights, do I need to turn them on or are they already on?

3) A light to indicate that I have a cruise control program set already - all i have to do is resume

I know these are picky but I have them on my Mazda 3 - why not a car that is 15K more?

Solas

Solas- First, I agree with the little covers. they really are a POS. I think Ford needed a quick fix, and they had some extra material laying around. :P . Second, if you put the lights on auto, and pull out the fog light switch, the indicator will light up when the lights go on. I actually put a piece of electrical tape over the sensor on the dash so my lights are on at all times, including the fogs.

• Like 1

Solas- First, I agree with the little covers. they really are a POS. I think Ford needed a quick fix, and they had some extra material laying around. :P . Second, if you put the lights on auto, and pull out the fog light switch, the indicator will light up when the lights go on. I actually put a piece of electrical tape over the sensor on the dash so my lights are on at all times, including the fogs.

I might have to check that trick out - good idea - but one problem exists with my wife, she still turns the lights on manually - ugghh.

Alot of this is nit picking on my part, but there are alot of good things on my Mazda 3 that does NOT exist on the Edge. I still love the Edge though.

Solas

I wouldn't think that these little "door pull floor mats" have been discontinued. My 2008 Edge came with them, but... they were in a plastic bag (along with the double-sided adhesive mounting pads) in the glove box. My dealer never mentioned them so when I found them there after taking my Edge home, I had to think a minute or two before it came to me what they were for. Speaking with my sales person later, he stated that they are probably shipped un-installed so as not get lost during transit, and the dealer's new car prep station is supposed to install them. There are four required, two front, two rear.

So you ask... why does Ford make these little rubber (neoprene actually) mats in the first place, instead of just forming a smooth bottom surface in the pull opening and calling it a day? Because there is a screw head down in there that must be accessible in order to remove the door panel, and the mat is intended to cover it for a more finished look. Wondering also if they might be left off if the dealer prep crew removes the door panels to take away any plastic sheeting used to protect the panels during transit. The plastic is commonly wrapped in behind the panels to hold it in place. It make sense since they would be taking that screw out anyway then to easily remove the sheeting, and would install the mats when replacing the door panels. Just a thought...

I would first look in your Edge's glove box, console, or in any collection of documents/items you received from him to see if you do actually have them and just need to put them in place. If you can't find them, definitely ask your sales person about it.

Good luck..!

:)

I wouldn't think that these little "door pull floor mats" have been discontinued. My 2008 Edge came with them, but... they were in a plastic bag (along with the double-sided adhesive mounting pads) in the glove box. My dealer never mentioned them so when I found them there after taking my Edge home, I had to think a minute or two before it came to me what they were for. Speaking with my sales person later, he stated that they are probably shipped un-installed so as not get lost during transit, and the dealer's new car prep station is supposed to install them. There are four required, two front, two rear.

So you ask... why does Ford make these little rubber (neoprene actually) mats in the first place, instead of just forming a smooth bottom surface in the pull opening and calling it a day? Because there is a screw head down in there that must be accessible in order to remove the door panel, and the mat is intended to cover it for a more finished look. Wondering also if they might be left off if the dealer prep crew removes the door panels to take away any plastic sheeting used to protect the panels during transit. The plastic is commonly wrapped in behind the panels to hold it in place. It make sense since they would be taking that screw out anyway then to easily remove the sheeting, and would install the mats when replacing the door panels. Just a thought...

I would first look in your Edge's glove box, console, or in any collection of documents/items you received from him to see if you do actually have them and just need to put them in place. If you can't find them, definitely ask your sales person about it.

Good luck..!

:)

Mine is a 2008 Edge, I have them. Definitely check like GMan suggested. If not, call your dealer.

I am not asking as to WHY they are there, I know why - cheap way to cover up screws without using engineering time. I have taken many a door off in my days. My issues is they DONT fit - period. I even thought maybe the dear installed them in the wrong doors (not that would ever happen of course) and no dice. They are too long and too skinny for any door.

Since I reference EVERYTHING to my Mazda 3, it does not have the mats. They designed screw covers to cover up the holes (all out of formed plastic) and made it seamless - at least more so than the Edge. Now, if the Edge had mats that would ACTUALLY fit, this solution would be better than the Mazda as you would not see any screw holes (and it would be much easier to take the mat out than pop a plastic screw cover off).

I still would like to know how to get the Vista roof switches illuminated!!! There is a post over @ BOF, and I sent a PM to the topic author, but haven't heard anything yet?

I am still waiting for this too. I still also want the BAMR wiring diagram to see if I can bypass their stupid implementation of pinch protection. I want One touch close - not one touch close and hold to complete the process.

Solas

main complaint: i'd like to see PRNDL illuminated on the dash somewhere. (dumb complaint, but i've alway's had it and keep looking for it) i do have the "glare" on the windshield but doesn't bother me too much. could use a 10" sub rather than the 8" for a deeper bass beat. something on rear bumber to eliminate scratches (looking into this for that clear stuff for headlights) MPG are not what i'd expected. i expected w/ easy driving to get 20-22 easily, but it's pretty difficult w/ any stop and go driving to get 18-19. Heavy vehicle/AWD, 18" wheels are ALL to blame though. so we'll deal w/ it. HID's should be standard at least on SEL and LImited.

Still LOVE this vehicle regardless of the nit picking.

I agree with the above. I got my leased 2008 Limited AWD in November of 2007 and I have less than 900 miles. I only drive locally (city) and my mpg is about 11??? Here again, this is a heavy vehicle with the 20" rims, gas prices, etc. I'm averaging $80.00 to fill it up (BUMMER). I got the Creme Brulee color, cargo cover ($165.00), a locking gas cap ($65.00) after market all weather floor mats (Sears $30.00), wood finish and lowjack also the remote entry (dealer perk thrown in) all for the low, low price of $37k. with a $8k down...(YIKES!!!) The look is what sold me, as a previous Mazda3 hatchback owner, the edge reminds me of the Mazda3 on steroids....BTW, I would have gotten the CX-7, but the premium gas and added perks I wanted were prohibitive, well at least for me. Fortunately, I already had a portable Garmin device and didn't get the NAV with the backup camera. However, with the volume up a bit, it's hard to hear the backup sensors, so beware, I've had to get the touch up paint already. And they say hind site is 20/20??? Hmmmm. :finger:

Another point of disappointment for me are the sync/volume controls. These could have been on the left side of the steering wheel. The Mazda, if I recall, had the controls there and the cruise controls on the right side. I find myself constantly hitting the Media button when turning, thus causing whatever listening is going on to be interrupted. This is really annoying at best! :censored:

Has anyone else had the frustrating experience of the sync system not recognizing your voice commands? I must look like a lunatic to people outside as I'm yelling at the mirror because it's not understanding my responses. I tried searching syncmyride.com for some helpful tips, to no avail. Also, I use a flash drive for my mp3 files and winamp to edit the playlists, as well as phonetools software, for my Motorola cell/camera/mp3 player/phone. I thought the lack of accessing the phone directory/list while in motion was also strange? :banghead:

Aside from these things I still like the crossover/suv/truck? For a few dollars more I could've had a down payment on another house...o well. :wacko:

I agree with the above. I got my leased 2008 Limited AWD in November of 2007 and I have less than 900 miles. I only drive locally (city) and my mpg is about 11??? Here again, this is a heavy vehicle with the 20" rims, gas prices, etc. I'm averaging $80.00 to fill it up (BUMMER). I got the Creme Brulee color, cargo cover ($165.00), a locking gas cap ($65.00) after market all weather floor mats (Sears $30.00), wood finish and lowjack also the remote entry (dealer perk thrown in) all for the low, low price of $37k. with a $8k down...(YIKES!!!) The look is what sold me, as a previous Mazda3 hatchback owner, the edge reminds me of the Mazda3 on steroids....BTW, I would have gotten the CX-7, but the premium gas and added perks I wanted were prohibitive, well at least for me. Fortunately, I already had a portable Garmin device and didn't get the NAV with the backup camera. However, with the volume up a bit, it's hard to hear the backup sensors, so beware, I've had to get the touch up paint already. And they say hind site is 20/20??? Hmmmm. :finger:
Well, the 20" rims do not help with MPG - heavy and large with a large rotating mass. MPG depends a lot on driving style. Check out the MPG thread here for more info.

Another point of disappointment for me are the sync/volume controls. These could have been on the left side of the steering wheel. The Mazda, if I recall, had the controls there and the cruise controls on the right side. I find myself constantly hitting the Media button when turning, thus causing whatever listening is going on to be interrupted. This is really annoying at best! :censored:
ME TOO!!! Except I kept my 3 - nothing can make me give it up. Now, you cant knock Ford for putting the Cruise control buttons on the left side. I feel your pain as I do the exact same thing, but there is no standard for button placement. Just have to get used to it.

Has anyone else had the frustrating experience of the sync system not recognizing your voice commands? I must look like a lunatic to people outside as I'm yelling at the mirror because it's not understanding my responses. I tried searching syncmyride.com for some helpful tips, to no avail. Also, I use a flash drive for my mp3 files and winamp to edit the playlists, as well as phonetools software, for my Motorola cell/camera/mp3 player/phone. I thought the lack of accessing the phone directory/list while in motion was also strange? :banghead:
Ours recognizes almost everything - the only thing it did not recognize was "Call Parents". Always wanted to "Call Marions" (excellent local pizza parlor). So we change the phonebook entry to Family and all is well. I dont understand "I thought the lack of accessing the phone directory/list while in motion was also strange?"

Just my $0.01

Solas

OK- at least I'm not alone on this. I'm getting around 14mpg around town. Granted, I get around 22 on the highway, but it drops right down once I'm on the backroads again.

My gripe: There is no channel seek on the steering wheel, only the presets. So when you want to seek the Sirius channels, you have to hold your hand at the radio and keep pressing the up and down arrows. Very Annoying!!!!

Yes, it happens to me too. I never thought about how stupid I must look yelling at the mirror. I noticed commands like "call home" or "call house", are not recognized. I have to put a persons name in front of it to make it work. "call Susan Home".

Sync also doesn't do a very good job at noticing artists names. I gotten pissed off so many times, I just don't hook up my ipod anymore.

Aside from these things I still like the crossover/suv/truck? For a few dollars more I could've had a down payment on another house...o well. :wacko:

RE SYNC - Hmmm - seems many people are having issues with it recognizing people.

Do the ppl that have issues have strong accents? Not trying to be mean or rude - just trying to understand situation.

I have commanded several thousand commands and only a very few have not worked (mainly due to BAMR open). I have artists with odd punctuation - weird sounding names and all have been successful.

Now, when I talk - windows are up and HVAC fan is medium to low. If other people are talking, this makes it harder. Plus, I do NOT talk to the mirror (how funny would that be?). I just sit back in my seat, push the button and go. I also do not speak slower - talk normally. Dont slur your words either. Dont yell either.

I have played Jump Drives as well as iRiver Clix Gen2. All works well.

Just trying to help.

RE SYNC - Hmmm - seems many people are having issues with it recognizing people.

Do the ppl that have issues have strong accents? Not trying to be mean or rude - just trying to understand situation.

No accents here as well. I guess the frustration is caused by the all to familiar automated responses often found when calling various places. Seemingly, the sync SOMETIMES does not recognize some voice replies and disregards the response altogether. Possibly, there are bugs this technology has got to work out....After all, this is still a relatively new concept, and as we all know, things take time and feedback to be corrected. :rockon:

I have commanded several thousand commands and only a very few have not worked (mainly due to BAMR open). I have artists with odd punctuation - weird sounding names and all have been successful.

Now, when I talk - windows are up and HVAC fan is medium to low. If other people are talking, this makes it harder. Plus, I do NOT talk to the mirror (how funny would that be?). I just sit back in my seat, push the button and go. I also do not speak slower - talk normally. Dont slur your words either. Dont yell either.

When I start out giving commands I'm calm too, until I get a reaction as if I have a speech impediment. "Sometimes" it works and "Sometimes" it doesn't. :wacko:

I have played Jump Drives as well as iRiver Clix Gen2. All works well.

Just trying to help.

Understood, but it doesn't help any when you get dissed by an automated response in sync or otherwise. - Peace out! :redcard: :shades:

Look at the sync menu to train it to your voice. It asks you a series of commands in which you reply to. It learns your voice and you can store it. Look in the manual.

For those that have poor mileage ... look at the gas you are using. If it has ethanol blended into it ... you WILL have 10 to 15% poorer mileage.

Edited by Jaak in TO

For those that have poor mileage ... look at the gas you are using. If it has ethanol blended into it ... you WILL have 10 to 15% poorer mileage.

I have noticed that the ethanol content has definitely made a big impact on the mpg. Is the content different in the summer, or is this a permanent additive?

I have noticed that the ethanol content has definitely made a big impact on the mpg. Is the content different in the summer, or is this a permanent additive?

It is part of the regular blend all year round. Do a search on gasoline supliers in your are and check out their Ethanol content. If they have none ... look at the pumps. Select the brand that has left it out if you want the mileage. You may have to switch to a 91 octane as stations such as Shell has their 91 a 100% gasoline. Bonus is the better mileage as well as pep which equals the price of the 87 regular with Ethanol. The cost overall may be cheaper at the premium blend.

i have a new hate. the black paint is too soft, it easily scratches and i really wonder about how well it will hold up over the next few years. i guess i'll put on a really good wax job and just keep it clean and waxed. i know black paint is very hard to keep clean but maybe an extra coat or 2 of clearcoat would help eliminate the scratches.

I had to write this,

1, You can't vent the Vista roof without fully opening the sun shade.. SUCKS

2. mpg...HORRIBLE..I drive very easy too.

3. Navigation - NO POI's hardly, I had to find a big school in Ann Arbor MI, not there and they are next to a large well known Church - not there either. THEY WERE THERE IN MY CHEAP MIO NAVI - THANK GOD

and the GUI is very confussing, I found several mistakes in screens too. I am a programmer and a developer.

Maybe Ford will read this. If this does not change, this is my last FORD!!!

What are you top 3 gripes.

ok, the only things i have to complain about with my edge:

1. the headrests, i needed to flip them around because it wasn't comfortable for me while driving

2. when filling my gas tank, the pump cuts off but i can still pump 3-4 gallons in the tank with out any pouring out. ( i usually get about 400 miles per tank i average 20-25 mpg. I don't know what you're getting since you didn't mention)

i have a new hate. the black paint is too soft, it easily scratches and i really wonder about how well it will hold up over the next few years. i guess i'll put on a really good wax job and just keep it clean and waxed. i know black paint is very hard to keep clean but maybe an extra coat or 2 of clearcoat would help eliminate the scratches.

It's not softer - it's the same clearcoat used on the other paint colors. And extra coats won't make it harder. It's just that black shows the scratches much more than any other color. It will hold up fine but will require more care than lighter colors to keep out the swirl marks and spider webs.

It's not softer - it's the same clearcoat used on the other paint colors. And extra coats won't make it harder. It's just that black shows the scratches much more than any other color. It will hold up fine but will require more care than lighter colors to keep out the swirl marks and spider webs.

Correct it is not softer than the other colors. It just shows more.

Manufacturers are forced to used Water Based paints (not lead based) due to environmental concerns now. This inherently makes the paint softer. It really stinks because a rubber water hose scratched my front bumper as I was washing it. Grrr.

I am REALLY disappointed in the paint. I have just discovered DIRT UNDER the clear coat. Not in the clear coat (like from rail dust during transportation - that was removed easily with polish and elbow grease), but there is dirt UNDER the clear coat. Plus, I have found Clear Coat runs (drips) and Paint runs. Not to mention the fact that they no longer spray the "un seen" areas like behind the doors, under the lift gate etc. Mazda does not do this stupid money saving crappy procedure (at least not on mine), Ford should not either.

Plus aluminum rims are corroding as well (have the chrome clad CRAP). Sheesh.

This vehicle is QUICKLY making me hate it. It used to be a good to great car with a few minor issues that turned out to be personal preference - AND it was American. Now all it is a normal everyday American engineered car that is in my opinion now, overpriced for the quality. It might come down to me going with JDM from now on.

I understand my car is 2nd year, BUT that is no excuse for the problems. They have been painting cars and buying/manufacturing aluminum rims for YEARS.

Just my rants is all.

Solas