3 Things I really hate about my 2008 EDGE

Tiffany

main complaint: i'd like to see PRNDL illuminated on the dash somewhere. (dumb complaint, but i've alway's had it and keep looking for it) i do have the "glare" on the windshield but doesn't bother me too much. could use a 10" sub rather than the 8" for a deeper bass beat. something on rear bumber to eliminate scratches (looking into this for that clear stuff for headlights) MPG are not what i'd expected. i expected w/ easy driving to get 20-22 easily, but it's pretty difficult w/ any stop and go driving to get 18-19. Heavy vehicle/AWD, 18" wheels are ALL to blame though. so we'll deal w/ it. HID's should be standard at least on SEL and LImited.

Still LOVE this vehicle regardless of the nit picking.

I really like ours, only a couple of nitpicks

the reverse park assist can't be turned off permanently. Whenever we have our bike rack on the hitch (90% of the time) the sensors pick up the hitch and sound the alarm. It wouldn't be bad if there was a dash mount switch (like on my F150) but on the Edge you have to scroll through the menu to turn it off....every time you start the car and back up. There's another thread about this so maybe it's not supposed to work that way.

I wish you could open the vista roof while keeping the sunshade closed on the rear seat moonroof. Sometimes mom wants some sunlight but baby doesn't like the sun in her eyes.

Removable headrests the center rear seat for to accommodate a child seat.

Pretty small stuff in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by dave-m

I like my Edge and there isn't anything I hate about it, but....

1. I would like one touch close on the BAMR.

2. The sound system should be better, at least a graphic equalizer. Mere Bass and Treble controls just don't cut it for a "premium" audio system. Especially when they promote it with the SYNC system. My sound generally sounds muffled.

3. ....to be added later...pretty happy with the Edge.

Tiffany thanks for initiating this forum. I monitor several webpages on behalf of Ford and I hope you don't mind me adding a comment. I'm forwarding this thread to the proper departments for review. There is a lot of good feedback here and we do appreciate your comments. Design changes to the 2008 Edge, such as the availability of power assist rear door, were influenced by owner feedback. Autodimming rearview mirrors are standard on the SEL & Limited editions and optional on the SE. A rear cargo management system is optional for all Edge models. The speed control can be disengaged by pressing the brake pedal or pressing the off button. Finally, a Class II 1.25" trailer hitch receiver is standard for any vehicle with 3500 pound maximum towing capacity.

Although we try to review all customer comments on the internet we can't always read every webpage. If you'd like to share more of your ideas and comments with Ford I'd recommend that you visit Contact-Ford. Thanks.

Tiffany thanks for initiating this forum. I monitor several webpages on behalf of Ford and I hope you don't mind me adding a comment. I'm forwarding this thread to the proper departments for review. There is a lot of good feedback here and we do appreciate your comments. Design changes to the 2008 Edge, such as the availability of power assist rear door, were influenced by owner feedback. Autodimming rearview mirrors are standard on the SEL & Limited editions and optional on the SE. A rear cargo management system is optional for all Edge models. The speed control can be disengaged by pressing the brake pedal or pressing the off button. Finally, a Class II 1.25" trailer hitch receiver is standard for any vehicle with 3500 pound maximum towing capacity.

Although we try to review all customer comments on the internet we can't always read every webpage. If you'd like to share more of your ideas and comments with Ford I'd recommend that you visit Contact-Ford. Thanks.

Excellent!!!

I think the LARGEST complaint IMO is the LACK of HID options because the light output is a little weaker than I am used to. Heck, my $19K Mazda 3 SP23 came with HID Standard from the Factory in Japan. Now our $33K Edge does not EVEN have it as an option, nor does the Lincoln. I am reluctant to add after market HID because of 1) Glare due to no projectors 2) Pulsed Lighting 3) Voiding Warranty.

I too dislike the BAMR not closing all the way. IMO this is a cheap way of implementing Pinch Protection on a $30+ vehicle. I know it is a Ford, but where is the luxury or convenience? The Hyundai Santa Fe has it - same price category and of similar size. BAMR is worth every single penny it cost though - period - IMO. Look at dem pretty stars.

Now that it is mentioned, the "Premium" audio is not all that premium - regarding the head unit. This unit NEEDS to be updated - even if more like GM's - still a simple unit but a MUCH better display. The speakers sound fine to me, wish it had the tweeters in the A pillar, but not a major miss because the sound stage is still pretty good for factory. The sub is a nice touch and does not add too much bass (many will disagree that it does not add enough).

I too would like to VENT the BAMR with the shade closed - I use the vent for hot days - shade closed vent open to all some built up heat to escape while at work. But, since the shade material is not water proof (it seems, have not tested nor do I want to), leaving the shade closed while BAMR fully open will lead to disaster imo.

"Removable headrests the center rear seat for to accommodate a child seat." Yes Yes Yes - dont have kids now so I cant verify the need - working on it. Many ppl do not want to sit in middle next to baby seat.

"something on rear bumber to eliminate scratches" I think would be an EXCELLENT PIO. I have many dogs and it is already scratched, once, but still a scratch.

"How often are you looking under the hood? " At LEAST once a week - but I still prefer a rod instead of struts.

Cargo Mgmt System opinion - it is small and like I stated before nothing like my Mazda. Maybe Ford can raise the level of the rear floor to add storage trays - maybe a double decker system. Dont know if it will work or not.

Just more thoughts and opinions that y'all dont wanna hear from me :shades:

Solas

Do you have any input to the query below before I head into the dealership to see if somethings wrong?

the reverse park assist can't be turned off permanently. Whenever we have our bike rack on the hitch (90% of the time) the sensors pick up the hitch and sound the alarm. It wouldn't be bad if there was a dash mount switch (like on my F150) but on the Edge you have to scroll through the menu to turn it off....every time you start the car and back up. There's another thread about this so maybe it's not supposed to work that way.

I don't hate anything.

Things I'd change, only one is a biggie:

Radio tuner -- really, just give me a dial to get where I want to go quickly

Manual shift option -- because I do want to move from "D" to "3" on mountain roads. (this is the biggie)

Floor mats -- the camel ones get grimy looking fast!

Rear bumper guard: on top of bumper -- I bought it, I love it, it SHOULD BE STANDARD

Radio text: give me two lines already.

Door mouldings: I don't mind parking in "don't park next to me" territory now, but in July I will. Need ding protection.

Leather standard on "better" models. I have kids, a big dog and I live in Phoenix. I HATE leather. Nothing will burn your tailfeathers faster in July.

Vista roof cover: I want to be able to vent the roof a crack in hot weather. That means that both the glass and the cover should back up an inch or less. I can't do it now.

Manual shift option -- because I do want to move from "D" to "3" on mountain roads. (this is the biggie)

And the most easily solved. First, try turning off OverDrive by pressing the button on the shifter. If you need more engine braking, shift to L. This is all explained in the owner's manual.

And the most easily solved. First, try turning off OverDrive by pressing the button on the shifter. If you need more engine braking, shift to L. This is all explained in the owner's manual.

Ah. I don't want engine BRAKING. I want to be able to ACCELERATE UPHILL on demand (e.g. to pass a Winnebago or a hay trailer)

That is not explained in the owner's manual. Thanks for the decceleration info though.

Still not as good as Manual mode, it scared me in what I think was second gear, it felt like it wasn't going to shift into third.

Oh one more thing..

Better instrument panel lighting. Hard to see just before the sun sets and rises. Also dim by today's standards. Ford seems to be stuck in the 70's and 80's with the lighting scheme here. Could have done better than this - maybe an ambiene lighting package would have halped? The instrument panel should glow nicely at light - this is but a dim flicker (and yes I know how to turn the switch to the hi position).

Phoenix wrote...Manual shift option -- because I do want to move from "D" to "3" on mountain roads. (this is the biggie)

May I suggest Ford look at the '07 VW Pasast Automatic shifter... before it was totalled last Nov I had auto Normal & Sport modes plus I could pull it into manuel & ship on the fly by slapping the shifter sideways.

I never did understand why auto manufacturers put these manumatics in. To me it is another thing to break and I hate them. The gate selectors are also a pain in my hinney to clean. If you want a manual, get a bloody manual.

For me, NOT having this was a LARGEselling point. I drove the hills of Kentucky and the O/D off and L worked like a charm (not as good as a manual, but this isnt one). L is actually not just one gear. It will select the correct RPM to slow - at least it did on mine. Yes I still had to use the brakes to adjust L, but other than that no issues.

I give Kudos to Ford for not going this route like every other daburn manufacturer.

All in all, these are just opinions and Ford will NEVER please the entire population.

Solas

pleading case about lighting...

FORD - please make projectors or HID for the EDGE

I started having this plastic noise in the dash and somewhere in the back near the seats. Its not a squeak, but when its cold out and your driving, it sounds like moving plastic pieces, almost like creaking. Its really annoying having ANY noise on a brand new vehicle. These vehicles should be tighter than a ducks you-know-what. :censored:

Edited by tiaquessa

Do you have any input to the query below before I head into the dealership to see if somethings wrong?

Dave-m, Sorry, I don't have any additional information regarding any back-up sensor problem with bike racks. I'd recommend that you have your dealership inspect your Edge. He'd have the right equipment to properly diagnose and resolve your concern. Also, he'd have access to any engineering reports if applicable.

In general, we do want to hear from our customers. An important part of the Way Forward plan is to actively solicit customer feedback. Granted not all feedback is easy to hear but the negative is at least as important as the positive when you're working to win customers back. I'll step off my soapbox now.

Since people from Ford are reading this string, I wanted to mention a post that was just put over on the Blue Oval (Edge) forum:

I few people have questioned why the BAMR controls are lighted on the MKX and not the Edge. Someone just added a post saying that he took the switch control apart hoping to add LED's to the switches and lo and behold: The are ALREADY there! Apparently they are not lighted because Ford did not run a wire up the A-pillar from the dash lighting controls to the switch. This wire is on the Lincoln. What's even more puzzling is that the Edge DOES have the necessary ground wire.

This just makes no sense. The sunroof controls really should be lighted in these vehicles and if the LED's are already there, why leave out a 10 cent wire? Ford should issue a service bulletin for this and install the wire to illuminate these controls if a customer requests it.

Since people from Ford are reading this string, I wanted to mention a post that was just put over on the Blue Oval (Edge) forum:

I few people have questioned why the BAMR controls are lighted on the MKX and not the Edge. Someone just added a post saying that he took the switch control apart hoping to add LED's to the switches and lo and behold: The are ALREADY there! Apparently they are not lighted because Ford did not run a wire up the A-pillar from the dash lighting controls to the switch. This wire is on the Lincoln. What's even more puzzling is that the Edge DOES have the necessary ground wire.

This just makes no sense. The sunroof controls really should be lighted in these vehicles and if the LED's are already there, why leave out a 10 cent wire? Ford should issue a service bulletin for this and install the wire to illuminate these controls if a customer requests it.

Are you saying that all we have to do is run a wire to the headlamp fuse to make the switch LED's work?

I'm fine with the hood prop.

Engine cover? I'll pass on that, but I can see it being an option. If I had one I'd remove it.

I just turned 8600 miles on my Edge and am getting 19.6 mpg. Mostly highway, but sometimes I drive it like I stole it.

A larger hitch receiver would be nice. I know the gentleman from Ford said that size was standard giving the towing capacity of the vehicle...I'd still like to have a larger one.

I just turned 8600 miles on my Edge and am getting 19.6 mpg. Mostly highway, but sometimes I drive it like I stole it.

I am getting around 20 on the highway (what little I travel). But I hear ya, I feel like I drive my Edge more, lets say "spirited" than I did my Expy. :yup:

I find myself traveling between 75-80 on the highway. I normally don't go that fast, but in the Edge, it doesn't feel like that speed.

Speaking of that, does anyone with the 20" wheels feel like their speedo is off by a couple of MPH?