3 Things I really hate about my 2008 EDGE

Tiffany

I had to write this,

1, You can't vent the Vista roof without fully opening the sun shade.. SUCKS

2. mpg...HORRIBLE..I drive very easy too.

3. Navigation - NO POI's hardly, I had to find a big school in Ann Arbor MI, not there and they are next to a large well known Church - not there either. THEY WERE THERE IN MY CHEAP MIO NAVI - THANK GOD

and the GUI is very confussing, I found several mistakes in screens too. I am a programmer and a developer.

Maybe Ford will read this. If this does not change, this is my last FORD!!!

What are you top 3 gripes.

1. Huge A pillar blind spots

2. Transmission slack after putting in park.

3. Brakes have no feel.

4. Doors seem to slam no matter lightly you shut them.

5. Horrible MPG!!!!!

I could think of more but thats enough for now.

I can't say or stress this enough- Ford REALLY rushed this CUV to market. There is ALOT of things that should have been ironed out before being sold. I think Ford should read these forums and maybe send us Edge owners out a questionnaire asking US what should be done to improve these vehicles. Alot of the things we hate about our Edges could be fixed with better quality control, and good old fashioned common sense on the assembly line.

1) I understand why they did this - but I still agree that we should vent - my mazda does. However, my mazda does have vent holes in the shade

2) I dont see it. Granted we just past 1200 miles, but under all city driving - my MPG averaged 17.9 MPG overall. This is with few strait stretches and a top speed of 55 at the most. Computer MPG = 17.6 MPG.

THings to consider

a.) First you could be on winter gas - that immediately takes you MPG down.

b.) If you are in cold climates, it takes longer to warm up and it runs rich - less MPG

c.) The edge is heavy - but it feels solid. Heavy car and powerful engine = less MPG.

What is you MPG? Are you doing the manual calculation or using the computer? What is your climate

3) I usually hate factory navigation so I did not get it. I got aftermarket - much better ususally. I got the dash mounted Garmin 350 and my wife LOVES it. It too is not up to date - but it is about 1 year behind. Otherwise it has many many many POI.

Solas

everyone I have talked to and heard from agrees the mileage drastically improves after owning and driving it for a few months. also, if you haven't even passed the break-in period and initial oil change, forget about it. your MPG may as well be 3 because it's basically meaningless vs. the gas mileage you should be getting during the practical life of the vehicle.

finally - anyone who implies you'll get 20MPG or more in city driving is crazy. don't even expect it, though you should be able get 18 (and change) eventually with some really careful city driving and not too many red lights. :wacko:

I agree with what Solas said about winter gas and driving, also. and if you're at altitude or driving up and down any inclines which requires a lot more effort consider that too.

though this is a different topic to me, I agree with the Garmin (have the c340, both have been recently discontinued, but works well). I have the 2008 edition maps and find a few omissions in POI but nothing too bad. Ford should improve the number of POI but anyone complaining beyond that is being a little picky. in-dash nav systems are almost always overpriced and if it's lacking a feature you'd like, you should have done your homework or tried it out beforehand. I didn't buy the Garmin before reading up on it... wanted to make sure I had a reliable, well-regarded, and easy to use unit, even if it was otherwise pretty basic. if it didn't have real-time traffic available (the c330 doesn't), I would have not chosen this.

It is part of the regular blend all year round. Do a search on gasoline supliers in your are and check out their Ethanol content. If they have none ... look at the pumps. Select the brand that has left it out if you want the mileage. You may have to switch to a 91 octane as stations such as Shell has their 91 a 100% gasoline. Bonus is the better mileage as well as pep which equals the price of the 87 regular with Ethanol. The cost overall may be cheaper at the premium blend.

good tips!! of course here (California) all gas has Ethanol I'm fairly sure. I'll do some research to double check.

also, I hear every year, twice a year that the refineries are switching from winter to summer blend and vice versa... so I'm sure it's happening at least here. seems nobody would be talking about it otherwise.

ok, the only things i have to complain about with my edge:

1. the headrests, i needed to flip them around because it wasn't comfortable for me while driving

2. when filling my gas tank, the pump cuts off but i can still pump 3-4 gallons in the tank with out any pouring out. ( i usually get about 400 miles per tank i average 20-25 mpg. I don't know what you're getting since you didn't mention)

I'm sure headrests may be a bit more comfortable to some people flipped around. I found no concerns while driving or sitting in vehicle - just be sure you are aware this is quite a bit less safer. these revised headrests were added a few months into the 2007 MY for a re-test to try to achieve the highest crash test rating (front and side). the Edge passed with these headrests, which were not achieved without.

there's another thread about this, if you find that one front headrest is way more comfortable than the other. someone said they figured out the passenger one protrudes more than the driver one, and is apparently designed this way. odd

Edited by bri719

Hi, I've only had my 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD for a week. I bought it used with 18,000 miles on it. The exterior styling is great. The interior needs work. We have a Ford Probe GT from 1993 that has really nice interior lines. The trim in the Probe from the doors swoops around the dash and all the knobs and buttons and door handles don't look like stuck ons. I wish Ford had used the Probe designers for the Edge interior. There is no consistency in the interior finishes. The Edge dash has some trim in chrome, some buffed and some with machine tooling. There are texture changes in the vinyl from leatherette to cloth for no good reason. The lines are lumpy, psuudo rectangular or angular when the exterior is all graceful curves, and clean sleek lines. Prior to the Edge I had a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, the Laredo low end base model. It had a few things in it that I'm surprised the Ford does not have in this SEL level Edge. In the Ford there are no tie downs or cargo net, nor any cargo area cover. This is a real bummer and I'm looking to custom modify it. Another thing I don't understand is why the rear seats don't fold down totally flat. My Dad's GMC Jimmy from eons ago folded totally flat, as did the old Ford LTD station wagons from the 1970s. Why can't Ford get this detail right in 2007? Under the rear seat the brackets and bolts are exposed and a potential storage space wasted. My Jeep had multile power outlets in the front and we used them both. The Ford has only one. There's no good plce to put the cell phone. If you put anything in that little tray up on the dash it's guaranteed to go flying. The amount of storage compartments in the front of the Edge is is weak, as the side pockets are shallow. The cup holder area in the Jeep had a rubber insert so if you spilled anything you could take it out to wash it. It's a little detail, but it showed that the Jeep interior designers were thinking. Ford only put the insert in the two little trays, areas less prone to spills. Why does the Ford key have to be so honkin BIG! Jeep and GMC keys with all the same functions are much smaller and much less bulky in a pocket. Please Ford, this is not a better idea! The radio has a seek function but not a scan function. so you have to keep your finger out at the radio while driving and looking feor a station. Our little French Renault Megan had these functions on the steering wheel 13 years ago, so you could be bombing down the Autoroute (highway) in traffic with both hands on the steering wheel while also searching for a station. The CD insert and eject functions should be intuitive. They aren't. The lights knob is confusing. How do I know if I have the fog lights on without coing out in front to check?These are all little things, but they show that Ford is forgetting it's slogan of better ideas. When it doesn't incorporate lessons from their own prior successes, or learn from their competitors better ideas, it's hard to innovate better ideas. The exterior designers should get bonuses. Please send the interior designers back to school. Life is good, Bob

color-coordinated cargo area cover is a factory option. you can probably just go to your Ford dealer and order one I would think.

steering wheel radio controls, I think it only comes with the Audiophile but I'd have to double check. I can understand some of your other concerns, but there's not much than can be done about it. maybe I'm not as picky as I thought, but the interior doesn't bother me like it does you. I've been driving a Ford Ranger with 2 cupholders for 8 years, and these don't even fit a "large" cup because they hit the underside of the dashboard. in most cases "medium" (seeing how most fast food places made "large" into "medium" in the last year or two) just barely fit.

tie downs, yeah could probably use more. I'd expect more in a Jeep or true SUV (not crossover) that's for sure, which the Edge isn't but it is trying to walk that fine line. maybe the foglights are a little TOO simplistic if that's possible, but that's my only concern there. it's not necessarily like you'd find on a lot of higher end / luxury cars. if I'm not sure about something like the headlights I just RTFM (I'm a systems analyst, can you tell?). also I never have a problem thinking of place for my cell phone, but maybe that's just me

Edited by bri719

Another point of disappointment for me are the sync/volume controls. These could have been on the left side of the steering wheel. The Mazda, if I recall, had the controls there and the cruise controls on the right side. I find myself constantly hitting the Media button when turning, thus causing whatever listening is going on to be interrupted. This is really annoying at best! :censored:

I think it just depends what you're used to, but for me it makes no difference.

my gf's new Highlander has the CC on the right, so I have to remember that when I always end up driving her car from time to time. I never previously had one there to be accustomed to. so you can bet I'll have to remember Toyodah puts 'em on the right. her old car had the wiper controls on the right and mine were always on the left (button on end of turn signal). plus it's a pull to squirt the windshield with wiper fluid whereas mine was always the button. I always ended up high-beaming in her old car instead of squirting the windshield the first few times, since I forgot what side it was on. eventually I never did.

• 4 weeks later...

MKX Here monochrome

1) horrible drivers seat, no padding at all small too

2) cheesey interior and I have a loaded one

3) 2 FWD position shifter WTF

the AWD with traction control and 20" perelli tires make it the BEST vehicle in the snow I have ever used, nothing even comes close and I have had aviator, navigators, explores all of them... great job ford!

• 2 weeks later...

monochrome? as in, one color... ahh but which color? black or white. maybe I'm not just up on my MKX lingo

drivers seat - I like it don't need a huge butt pad. my butt fits maybe if I was a lady with super wide hips or XL dude I'd have a prob. I'm only a L dude

cheesy interior... can't help ya there. maybe for a Lincoln it isn't quite up to snuff (yes I've ridden in an MKX I realize it's really close to the Edge Premium). isn't there wood trim at least? and I think the monochrome package has nicer leather seats, etc. I like my Ford inside & out. I just need to stop and detail the thing for once. get all my dusty fingerprints outta there

shifter - common complaint, but the thing shifts electronically for you (2 low gears) when put into L so an extra shifter position would not be that functional IMO, really just for looks as much as anything else. if you really need to be in "1", by the time you drop below a certain speed, I think it's 15 or 20 MPH the thing automatically downshifts into 1 anyway. so what's the point in having to do it yourself? just saying

Edited by bri719

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone I have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited and I'm having an issue with the Brake Peddle going down real far before the brakes inguaged. Is there anyone else

having this issue?????

I suggest starting a new thread if you don't get a lot of responses. This one is 3 years old.

Check the fluid level and look for leaks around the master cylinder and each wheel. Could also be air in the system requiring a bleed. If none of that pinpoints the problem then it's probably the brake booster. Do a search - it's happened to a few folks.

Also - it's pedal and engaged. (sorry, pet peeve).

• 4 months later...

On our 2008 MKX the things I hate most are:

1) When you turn off the wipers - there is an annoying extra cycling of the wipers a second or 2 later. When I shut the GD things off I want them off. What genius Ford Engineer came up with this one?

2) The heated seats turn off automatically after 15 minutes of being on. Leave the danm things on. If I want them off, I'll turn them off.

3) A cargo cover for the rear area. My 96 Jeep had this.

4) The Nav/Sync system is crap. I much prefer my Garmin. We never use the voice commands.

5) Lack of storage - put the spare under the vehicle and let me put my stuff under the rear cargo area.

6) The wheels seem to accumulate more dirt and small stones which throws the balance off more than any other vehicle we have had. Gotta really spend time cleaning them at the car wash.

7) Center console coin holder - my Chrysler 300 had an awesome one. I miss it and yes I actually used it.

Edited by Brian K

[Things I don't like:

1) Annoying extra wiper cycle a couple of seconds after I turn the wipers off. When I turn the wipers off - I want them off and DO NOT want or need an extra cycle thanks to some Ford Engineer who knows better.

2) Heated seats turn off automatically after about 15 to 20 minutes. If I want them off - I'll turn them off thanks

3) Lack of a cargo cover. Perhaps one is available from the dealer but there are no indents in the side panels for the handles to fit into so what ever they sell will feel like an add-on (I think)

4) I have the Vista Roof. I wish I could also have Roof Racks. I know they think that the rails would interfere with the sliding glass so make the rails higher. Subaru has a neat design. When not used the cross members fold into the rails so they reduce the wind noise. Great idea. Common Ford get with it!

5) The Sync System is horrible. We don't use it at all inspite of how great the ads say it is.

6) My Garmin is much easier to use than the Ford/Lincoln NAV. POI's, address entry etc. Also the colors on the Nav should be user changable. The grey is blah.

7) Lack of "Express up" on both the front windows. My Chrysler 300 had this and it was really nice.

8) Rear storage area is poor because it is taken up by the spare. Move the spare under the vehicle and allow me a (bigger) place to store stuff I want out of the way.

9) A decent coin holder is lacking.

10) Last but not least - I want DECENT MPG. My GMC Envoy with a 5.3 gets better mileage than the MKX and the GMC has a decent frame and can pull 5500 lbs.