3 Things I really hate about my 2008 EDGE

Tiffany

I had to write this,

1, You can't vent the Vista roof without fully opening the sun shade.. SUCKS

2. mpg...HORRIBLE..I drive very easy too.

3. Navigation - NO POI's hardly, I had to find a big school in Ann Arbor MI, not there and they are next to a large well known Church - not there either. THEY WERE THERE IN MY CHEAP MIO NAVI - THANK GOD

and the GUI is very confussing, I found several mistakes in screens too. I am a programmer and a developer.

Maybe Ford will read this. If this does not change, this is my last FORD!!!

What are you top 3 gripes.

Edited by Tiffany

1) I understand why they did this - but I still agree that we should vent - my mazda does. However, my mazda does have vent holes in the shade

2) I dont see it. Granted we just past 1200 miles, but under all city driving - my MPG averaged 17.9 MPG overall. This is with few strait stretches and a top speed of 55 at the most. Computer MPG = 17.6 MPG.

THings to consider

a.) First you could be on winter gas - that immediately takes you MPG down.

b.) If you are in cold climates, it takes longer to warm up and it runs rich - less MPG

c.) The edge is heavy - but it feels solid. Heavy car and powerful engine = less MPG.

What is you MPG? Are you doing the manual calculation or using the computer? What is your climate

3) I usually hate factory navigation so I did not get it. I got aftermarket - much better ususally. I got the dash mounted Garmin 350 and my wife LOVES it. It too is not up to date - but it is about 1 year behind. Otherwise it has many many many POI.

Solas

1) I understand why they did this - but I still agree that we should vent - my mazda does. However, my mazda does have vent holes in the shade

2) I dont see it. Granted we just past 1200 miles, but under all city driving - my MPG averaged 17.9 MPG overall. This is with few strait stretches and a top speed of 55 at the most. Computer MPG = 17.6 MPG.

THings to consider

a.) First you could be on winter gas - that immediately takes you MPG down.

b.) If you are in cold climates, it takes longer to warm up and it runs rich - less MPG

c.) The edge is heavy - but it feels solid. Heavy car and powerful engine = less MPG.

What is you MPG? Are you doing the manual calculation or using the computer? What is your climate

3) I usually hate factory navigation so I did not get it. I got aftermarket - much better ususally. I got the dash mounted Garmin 350 and my wife LOVES it. It too is not up to date - but it is about 1 year behind. Otherwise it has many many many POI.

Solas

I love my Edge but the Navigation does need an update. I live a few blocks from Kings Plaza Mall in Brooklyn, NY and I tested the POI's to see if it would lead me to the mall. The Mall isnt even listed on my Navigation!!! This is one of the oldest and, in reality, the only Mall in Brooklyn!! How can it not be listed??????? Microsoft and Ford better get some updates going or people are really going to start feeling that they have a very inferior product compared to all the aftermarket items sold cheaper in Circuit City, Staples, Radio Shack and Best Buy. With all the commercials and ads proclaiming SYNC as the next coming of car technology, I believe that the Navigation system should be cutting edge as well. I mean, it doesnt even offer "real time" traffic updates!!! C'mon Ford and Microsoft get with it!!!! Acura has been offering it for two years now!!!

Edited by INTERAVE

Just purchased an Edge. A few things really surprise me. They're all minor but still surprise me:

1. No glove box light. Any vehicle that's even slightly above bone-stock has had this lamp since the 50's. A small lamp in the console would be nice too.

2. Vista roof switches are not illuminated. Ford puts lamps in the rear window switches, but not the Vista Roof controls? This makes no sense. Even more baffling is that MKX has them.

3. Metal prop-rod to hold up the hood. Should have a gas strut to raise the hood.

4. No turn-signal repeater lamps on the mirrors or front fenders.

Just purchased an Edge. A few things really surprise me. They're all minor but still surprise me:

1. No glove box light. Any vehicle that's even slightly above bone-stock has had this lamp since the 50's. A small lamp in the console would be nice too.

2. Vista roof switches are not illuminated. Ford puts lamps in the rear window switches, but not the Vista Roof controls? This makes no sense. Even more baffling is that MKX has them.

3. Metal prop-rod to hold up the hood. Should have a gas strut to raise the hood.

4. No turn-signal repeater lamps on the mirrors or front fenders.

1) I personally dont see a need for this - but it would be nice i guess. Just my thoughts

2) I agree - very odd. But to their defense, they are raised differently

3) I like (and prefer) props over struts. Stuts dont last very long (at least the ones i have had) and need replacing. You can buy the ebay ones

4) I would like them on the fend - I hate those on the mirrors.

Again, this is my opinion.

Solas

Well, here are a couple of things I would change if I were designing the Edge.

1) Use projector lamps, and at least offer HID as an option. ( come on now, this is the 21st. century!!)

2) Some sort of signal on the exterior mirrors

3) Standard pad on the rear bumper, and the rear door sills

These are in addition to the ones Williston listed

Edited by tiaquessa

All manufacturers are going to have to get smarter with their built-in nav if they hope to compete with increasingly good and increasingly cheap portable units. Currently they charge a couple hundred dollars for an updated set of CDs. They're going to have to sort out a way to provide more frequent and less expensive updates, perhaps through a card slot so new info can be downloaded using a computer. This would also help the POI issue.

Gas mileage, on average, less than 16 MPG. This is terrible. I don't care if it is winter, this is bad. I have a 2008 with tow package but no AWD. I know the car is heavier, but geez, this is ridiculous.

Engine Performance - RPMs revving. It seems that when I step on the gas to go up a small hill or on-ramp, the RPMs seem to rev up but the car doesn't speed up immediately, seems to take a second or two before I get much repsonse. Once again, I know its a heavier car, my last car was a 2001 Taurus and I liked the response I got when I stepped on the gas.

Price-This is actually a lot my fault, should have gone for the lease instead of buying it. Didn't cross my mind until it was too late. Ugh! Now I cringe every time I see commercials for leases on cars. Didn't have a trade-in because I sold the Taurus to a sister-in-law who is making payments.

Other than the above complaints, I do love the car. I like the height, very easy to get into. The car seems very luxurious. Enjoy the sync and the NAV, although it does seem like they could add some POIs. LOVE my remote start! Love the automatic tailgate. Still enjoy the look and style.

I had to write this,

1, You can't vent the Vista roof without fully opening the sun shade.. SUCKS

2. mpg...HORRIBLE..I drive very easy too.

3. Navigation - NO POI's hardly, I had to find a big school in Ann Arbor MI, not there and they are next to a large well known Church - not there either. THEY WERE THERE IN MY CHEAP MIO NAVI - THANK GOD

and the GUI is very confussing, I found several mistakes in screens too. I am a programmer and a developer.

Maybe Ford will read this. If this does not change, this is my last FORD!!!

I have a black 08 limited that of picked up Dec 07. IMO Ford hit a home run with the outside and interior design of the Edge. I also think the engine is fine fine what it is intended to do. What i think is inferior to other autos is the price range is the quality of the interior materials. The hard surface materials need to be upgraded, although i think the layout and look is great. Simple yet very appealing. Seats IMO are very comfortable so no upgrade here. Gas milage to me is not an issue since you know what it is going in and you just have to accept it. I do find that i get an increase in gas milage when i use a higher grade of gas. Just don't know if it is worth the extra money. Don't have Nav so i can't comment and have not had a chance to open Vista roof since i live in Northeast and it's been cold. I would also like to see indicator lights intergrated into the side mirrors similar to the Madza CX9 GT. Another feature i would like added is an autodimming driverside mirror, so i don't get blinded by bright lights from autos in the lane next to me. One of the things i would really like to have is adjustable gas and brake pedals. Had both on 2004 Pacifica and really miss. Overall i am really enjoying the Edge and have had no issues to date.

What i think is inferior to other autos is the price range is the quality of the interior materials. The hard surface materials need to be upgraded, although i think the layout and look is great.

I have seen this referenced before, that the hard surface materials need to be upgraded. Can you elaborate on this? I presume you are referring to items such as dash, doors, arm rests, etc. I think that these items are all molded plastic. I know that some are a little softer such as the arm rest. I am not sure how these would upgraded?

I would also like to see indicator lights intergrated into the side mirrors similar to the Madza CX9GT.

Are you wanting this for looks or is there a more practical reason, saftey, awareness, etc? Are you referring to the type that actually has an arrow on the mirror part, or more like the Mercedes design which is actually an amber light on the side of the mirror?

Clayton

I have seen this referenced before, that the hard surface materials need to be upgraded. Can you elaborate on this? I presume you are referring to items such as dash, doors, arm rests, etc. I think that these items are all molded plastic. I know that some are a little softer such as the arm rest. I am not sure how these would upgraded?

Are you wanting this for looks or is there a more practical reason, saftey, awareness, etc? Are you referring to the type that actually has an arrow on the mirror part, or more like the Mercedes design which is actually an amber light on the side of the mirror?

Clayton

Clayton,

Yes, i am referring to the mainly to the materials used interior door panels, armrests and center armrest. These materials could be softer. Although the look of the dash may be compomised if softer materials were used, i just don't know. It may not look so edgy or bold, but the the other areas could be upgraded. Look at the interior on the MKX and yes i understand it is a different price point. Maybe more brushed alumimum or wood would add something extra, allthough too much might be over the top. Take a look at the interior of the 09 Nissan Murrano and new Toyota Venza. They just look like better quality. IMO this is the area where all domestic automakers are lacking. As far as the mirrors go, i was referring to the type like the mercedes, not the arrow. I know those can be had aftermarket. It's not for saftey i just like the way it looks and it seems to be offered as an option or standard on many different models and it is not offered by Ford. Don't get me wrong i love my Edge, but these are the things i would like to see.

Gas mileage - I am not seeing it - at least on my vehicle (now 50/50 city/hgwy) - I am getting 20 MPG and this is with my wife driving (no cruise control, not braking/accelerating logically etc).

When I drive it, I get about 23 Mpg (again 50/50). Now, the way I drive is RPM driving - I drive to keep it under 2000-2500 RPM unless I need to (ie on ramps). I also focus on the car in front of the car in front of me (does that make sense?)

As for the engine reving - I believe this to be due to the 6 speed transmission. 6th gear is the "granny" gear, when you go up a hill and depress the gas pedal, the "granny" gear (used for MPG and not acceleration) is not enough to accelerate up the hill so it down shifts. This is not seen as much on 5 speed transmissions.

As for the hard materials - I am happy. However, this is my first $30K+ vehicle so I am comparing to <$20K cars and it is good. But this is only my opinion. What I like is the hard material does not scuff with my wedding ring (rough surface), which it does on my Mazda. Wood would have been nice - but imo does not "go" with the car.

A driver side dimming mirror would be nice, but again, I am used to this.

Factory Nav POI - this is why i will always go aftermarket. Even though my Garmin uses NavTeq too - I did a few compares and mine has more POI than Ford. Plus another thing I dont like about factory Nav is you cant take it with you. Yes it looks more integrated, but I can use it in my Mazda.

To add to the list:

1) Cruise Control Cancel. I know you can use the brake, but I hate doing this. My 3 has it, why not the Edge.

2) Mute Button - Still want it. I hate using VOL Down

3) Removable seats (I think I saw the seats bolted down) - this would be nice but only used so little for me. The Santa Fe I believe has it.

4) Increase the hitch size to 1 7/8" or 2" - while the 1.25" does work - it is not as common.

5) Cup holders in the rear seats (not in the arm rest). If you have 5 ppl, they have no cup holders in the back.

Just my few thoughts.

Solas

Gas mileage - I am not seeing it - at least on my vehicle (now 50/50 city/hgwy) - I am getting 20 MPG and this is with my wife driving (no cruise control, not braking/accelerating logically etc).

When I drive it, I get about 23 Mpg (again 50/50). Now, the way I drive is RPM driving - I drive to keep it under 2000-2500 RPM unless I need to (ie on ramps). I also focus on the car in front of the car in front of me (does that make sense?)

As for the engine reving - I believe this to be due to the 6 speed transmission. 6th gear is the "granny" gear, when you go up a hill and depress the gas pedal, the "granny" gear (used for MPG and not acceleration) is not enough to accelerate up the hill so it down shifts. This is not seen as much on 5 speed transmissions.

As for the hard materials - I am happy. However, this is my first $30K+ vehicle so I am comparing to <$20K cars and it is good. But this is only my opinion. What I like is the hard material does not scuff with my wedding ring (rough surface), which it does on my Mazda. Wood would have been nice - but imo does not "go" with the car.

A driver side dimming mirror would be nice, but again, I am used to this.

Factory Nav POI - this is why i will always go aftermarket. Even though my Garmin uses NavTeq too - I did a few compares and mine has more POI than Ford. Plus another thing I dont like about factory Nav is you cant take it with you. Yes it looks more integrated, but I can use it in my Mazda.

To add to the list:

1) Cruise Control Cancel. I know you can use the brake, but I hate doing this. My 3 has it, why not the Edge.

2) Mute Button - Still want it. I hate using VOL Down

3) Removable seats (I think I saw the seats bolted down) - this would be nice but only used so little for me. The Santa Fe I believe has it.

4) Increase the hitch size to 1 7/8" or 2" - while the 1.25" does work - it is not as common.

5) Cup holders in the rear seats (not in the arm rest). If you have 5 ppl, they have no cup holders in the back.

Just my few thoughts.

Solas

Solas,

I think removable seats would be great too, but i don't think it could work with where the spare tire is located. The cargo area would not be flat when the seats are removed, which would defeat the purpose and make removing the seats almost impossible. i think you would than have to put the spare under the car which would in turn not allow us to have dual exhust. That would change the look of the rear end. Also the rear cargo mgmt system should be standard. How much more could it cost to get rid of the styrofoam around the spare tire and replace with the plastic storage unit. After all it is only a $65 dollar option at the time of purchase, but almost $200 if you want to add it later. Anyone buying an Edge i would suggest they get that option as there is no storage in or under the cargo area.

beasley21800

Solas,

I think removable seats would be great too, but i don't think it could work with where the spare tire is located. The cargo area would not be flat when the seats are removed, which would defeat the purpose and make removing the seats almost impossible. i think you would than have to put the spare under the car which would in turn not allow us to have dual exhust. That would change the look of the rear end. Also the rear cargo mgmt system should be standard. How much more could it cost to get rid of the styrofoam around the spare tire and replace with the plastic storage unit. After all it is only a $65 dollar option at the time of purchase, but almost $200 if you want to add it later. Anyone buying an Edge i would suggest they get that option as there is no storage in or under the cargo area.

beasley21800

I hear ya - they still need removable seats :yup: - there are special ways, i know there has to be (:evil thoughts:)

I have the mgmt system - eehh - it is ok. But i agree the rip ya to get it later.

Solas

We have just gone through the first tank of gas on our MKX so I can't really give a proper review on the milage.You know - new vehicle/heavy foot.As far as the interior surfaces-there has to be a upgrade in the Lincoln, if you gave the Edge the same interior as the Lincoln how much nicer could you make the Lincoln and not price in out of range.The MKX has the side dimming mirror and we haven't noticed it too much yet,and it came standard with the cargo management system and I don't see why they wouldn't make it standard on the Edge.I just can't believe they would soak someone $200 for it.I also originally thought that the turnsignals on the mirror should be there.If they can put this on a Mazda you know that they damn well could put it on a Ford.

One more thing to add:

The engine cover trim panel on the MKX is beautiful. It would really look nice on the Edge with a blue "Ford" oval on it. Ford should include this piece on the Edge. It covers all of the "busy" clutter on the top of the engine and gives a "finished" look to the engine bay.

I like it so much I'm thinking of ordering one for my Edge.

One more thing to add:

The engine cover trim panel on the MKX is beautiful. It would really look nice on the Edge with a blue "Ford" oval on it. Ford should include this piece on the Edge. It covers all of the "busy" clutter on the top of the engine and gives a "finished" look to the engine bay.

I like it so much I'm thinking of ordering one for my Edge.

Me too, how is it insalled? I think I would like one too. the edge engine bay is ugly

I agree with the gas struts but really....how often are you opening the hood for this to really matter. The HID headlight come on the MKX, and besides the heated rear seats and then Lincoln look thats the only difference between the Edge and MKX so I think we can give it to the Lincoln CUV's. I totally agree about the rear bumper protector, mine is black and got scratched right away. Vista roof switches are not illuminated...how often do you open it in the dark? And when it comes to the nav and the POI's...how many will complain when Ford has a new disk but wants $500 for it...I am sure a lot will just deal with it. The only thing I would like changed and I know its a safety issue but I would like a one touch full close of the Vista roof but I doubt that will ever happen.

Having had my Edge ltd AWD for over a week now I can safely say that Ford absolutely has to put the following on a high trim line vehicle:

1. Glove box light - no excuses here!

2. Body side moldings - at least make this an option.

3.Side mirrors need to be with some sort of turn signal indicator either on the outside or in the mirror itself and of course it should be heated if its not.

4.Cargo cover that is actually retractable and appealing to look at. The one currently available is not even worth thinking about. Yes, the current one is better than nothing but thats all.

5.Some sort of cargo logic system like thost on the Murano and new Vibe.

6.Hood prop struts and some sort of an engine cover.

What were they thinking about ???

I will add two more things - since my Edge is a $30K+ vehicle

1) No bolt covers on the rear seat in the middle. The two outside bolts have covers, why in the world is there none on the inside ones. Since my interior is camel, black against camel is VERY evident.

2) No plastic panel to cover all the wires under the seats - tacky imo.

3) I agree with needing side moldings

I am not making excuses for Ford in the following:

Glove box - maybe because of its angle they think users could use the cabin light.

Hood Prop - I prefer a rod (no oddities please) over struts. Yes I uderstand that luxury cars have them, but I still work on my cars and prefer rods over struts.

Cargo Cover - It would be nice, but as another thread discuss on here, the odd shape makes it very difficult (if I recall correctly.)

Cargo Mgmt - I am not aware of the Murano or Vibe systems, but it does have an option for one. It is not much and nothing like my Mazda3 - but there is one. They could have put something smaller in the left side opposite the Sub and in front of the Liftgate motor.

Engine Covers - I think engines look better without - HOWEVER, I am in the minority I think on that one. Even my $19K Mazda3 has one.

Also, if I recall - MKX does NOT have factory HID - just projector (movable).

Solas

Wow. I had no idea that so many folks didn't like the Edge. I love mine. Most of these things, to me, seem incidental. Repeaters on the rear view mirror? Really? You need reminding which way you are turning when looking in the rear view mirror? Buy a mini van. Gas struts on the hood? How often are you looking under the hood?

Granted, I do not have the Vista Roof. But I foresaw issues with it before buying and decided not to go with that way.

My gas mileage is around 19.2 - 19.4 city and 24.9 - 25.6 highway. I have the SEL with 18 inch tires. Yes, it is a heavy car. But I like it that way. This past winter we had a lot of snow and when most cars are sliding around, I broke traction only once and it was my fault.

I love this car. I really enjoy everything about it. Even the front grill has grown on me. That was the one thing while buying that I wasnt too sure about.

DeckRoid in Idaho.

• Like 1