PTU SEAL FAILURE - WHY?

Diz

CALLING ALL SERVICE TECHS/DEPARTMENT MANAGERS:

Having just gone thru the passenger side/PTU seal replacement fiasco, can anyone address whether the seal replacement will last or is this a temporary patch until the next failure?

I'm catching different stories as to whether dealer swaps last and that an entire PTU replacement will be necessary.

Can anyone address as to why these seals have failed? I've heard stories that cold temps may be a factor. Are these not engineered/designed properly?

Not 100% clear whether it's an engineering/design issue or just a bad part but it appears to be the PTU and not the seal. The good news is once it's finally fixed it shouldn't reoccur so no long term reliability concerns.

I've read and heard that correct seal replacement procedure is critical and that not all Techs are capable - Don't know if it's true.

Also - The PTU is a Volvo design/mfr. and not Ford's?

If anyone could design and build a PTU for an AWD/Cold weather application, you'd think it would be the Swedes.

Just got my 08 passenger seal replaced. lets see how long it goes before leaking again. My 07 had a different leak on the main shaft and I guess thats almost impossible to replace from what my ford technician says. Cross my fingers. Who makes the PTU anyways. It is Ford or 3rd party ( outsource ). I want to have a chat with the guy who installs the seals.

Check out my reply in PTU (Transfer Case)

I currently own a 2007 Mazda CX-7, which is the Ford Edge, and having oil leak and tranfer case replacement issues.

Currently on my third transfer case.

First 2 replaced due to oil leaks.

Last one replaced according to dealer due to dirt injestion, bad seal again, major internal damage to transfer case.

All normal highway miles, speeds between 65-70, never towed anything.

My down time with all problems including transfer case issue is currently at 71 days.

Longest at dealer for first tranfer case replacement was 35 days.

I've read and heard that correct seal replacement procedure is critical and that not all Techs are capable - Don't know if it's true.

Also - The PTU is a Volvo design/mfr. and not Ford's?

If anyone could design and build a PTU for an AWD/Cold weather application, you'd think it would be the Swedes.

I am a Fusion SE AWD owner and I have not seen any postings from AWD Fusion/Milan/MKZ owners concerning the PTU issue.

The following links are interesting:

Mexico: Ford sells Converca PTU operations to Linamar

http://www.synesismedia.com/WVMA/content.asp?contentid=62815

OIL LEAK FROM POWER TRANSFER UNIT TSB 06-9-6

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/fad/tsb/0696.pdf

Edited by awdpath

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine done. Then started to get the stink and smoke again. Asked them to check it out and they said it was OK. Well still doing it so I crawled under it myself today and guess what, red trans fluid dripping and sprayed all over. The low spot on the PTU is directly above the exhaust so I suspect it pools there and drips onto the hot exhaust. Often it smokes into the interior.

She's going back.

• 1 month later...

I now have 5k ++ on the PTU since they replaced the notorious passenger side shaft seal.

So far, so good (knock on wood). The dealer did say that Ford has modified the replacement procedure and process.

• 3 weeks later...
Check out my reply in PTU (Transfer Case)

I currently own a 2007 Mazda CX-7, which is the Ford Edge, and having oil leak and tranfer case replacement issues.

Please note that the CX-7 is very different than the Edge. Ford doesn't make the transmission for the Mazda CX-7 or CX-9 yet even though the CX-9 uses the same 3.5 Duratec out of Lima, Ohio the Edge does. Very likely they use a different transfer case also.

I know Ford doesn't make the transfer case for Edge/MKX. Not really sure who does. Anyone know?