2016 Edge speedometer light out temporarily ?

While driving on highway today, the speedometer lights went out for a few seconds and the left/right side LCD screens dimmed out.

But then they came back on themselves.

Strange, I wasnt doing anything special at all. I was on adaptive cruise control though.

It was daylight and I my headlights were off.

Anyone else seen any such behavior ?

I'd report it to the dealer and let them handle it. That would be warranty work. Now, of course, getting it to repeat that for them is another story. But at least it will be documented.

My dealer doesnt have many good reviews for service or repairs etc. They are good for selling but not so much for handling the guts of a car.

I guess I will wait as much as I can and fix as many things as I can myself before I put faith in someone for whom my car is just another piece of oil and metal :-)

"Reviews". Omg. So you're gonna believe what some idiot that generally knows crap about life wrote on the internet?... Oh wait.

Seriously, the only way you're gonna know if they're good is to go and see. If it's warranty work what do you have to lose?

The average idiot is out looking for imaginary critters on their phone. That's the kind of person that leaves reviews...

Edited by DRbillZ

maybe you passed under the bridge and auto lights turned on, while interior lights dimmed?

it's happened to me...

Thats what I initially thought but my headlights were in "off" position not the "auto" one.

Still, it could be something to do with lighting conditions maybe afterall. It seems ....

The lights went out when we went from shade to direct bright sunlight. And the lights came back when some trees put us back in shade.

I will see if I can create that situation again.

So I havent seen the complete light out issue again yet BUT I have seen the speedometer light dim at different times.

And it seems to be "feature" rather than a "bug".

1) It seems to be bright when its bright outside and dim otherwise.

2) It also seems dim when the car headlights are in "off position" but brighten up when I turn the knob to any other position.

Item #2 is normal behavior I guess but #1 is interesting and I dont recall seeing that feature/issue in any other car.

Maybe its part of the "auto-dimming rear view mirror" feature ?

Edited by luxpow

• 1 month later...

My guess is that this is a safety feature to ensure drivers turn on their headlights at dusk. The dash lights will dim and eventually shut off completely when the headlights are off and the ambient light drops below a certain value. I have seen VW do the same thing.

So I havent seen the complete light out issue again yet BUT I have seen the speedometer light dim at different times.

And it seems to be "feature" rather than a "bug".

1) It seems to be bright when its bright outside and dim otherwise.

2) It also seems dim when the car headlights are in "off position" but brighten up when I turn the knob to any other position.

Item #2 is normal behavior I guess but #1 is interesting and I dont recall seeing that feature/issue in any other car.

Maybe its part of the "auto-dimming rear view mirror" feature ?

#1 is normal. The speedometer lights need to be very bright in daylight to be visible, but that would make them too bright for night time, so they dim. This is the same on the 2011-2014, also when they dim, the center stack Audio/HVAC switches light up.

#2, if it is really a feature, then it is a very good one in my opinion. New cars with dashboards that automatically light up (like on the Edge) sometimes give impressions to owners that the headlights are on (as in older cars) & would then drive with no exterior lights on.