2015 Edge Brake Upgrade?

I recently upgraded to the PowerStop Z23 Evolution cross-drilled & slotted 4 wheel kit. Definitely a noticeable difference in stopping power and haven't experienced any fade yet, but haven't really taken it for a hard romp yet

/http://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z16-kit/

The powerstop kit looks great, and its priced reasonably.

Rotora offers front and rear SS lines, should make a vast improvement. They also offer a BBK

Capture_zps35jcjojo.png

Sure just let me sell my kidneys, and I'll be sure to place an order, $7000 isn't justifiable for a daily driver for me. Although I bet those brakes are awesome

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

so these stock brakes shit the bed today. I stopped about 15 feet past the stop line (120 km/h to 0) at a red light, thankfully no one was around. There was ample braking distance but they just bit and then started to fade and vibrate like crazy (not abs).

so these stock brakes shit the bed today. I stopped about 15 feet past the stop line (120 km/h to 0) at a red light, thankfully no one was around. There was ample braking distance but they just bit and then started to fade and vibrate like crazy (not abs).

Does this mean you're ready to spend $7k on new SS lines? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend against going with cross drilled or cross slotted rotors on a street car. You are actually reducing the total surface area able to absorb the frictional heat and creating potential for cracking or warping. Many exotic cars are designed from the beginning for their setups. Instead, a better option would be cryogenically treated rotors combined with heat slots.

I would highly recommend against going with cross drilled or cross slotted rotors on a street car. You are actually reducing the total surface area able to absorb the frictional heat and creating potential for cracking or warping. Many exotic cars are designed from the beginning for their setups. Instead, a better option would be cryogenically treated rotors combined with heat slots.

is there a product or line you could recommend that satisfies your recommendations? havent seen jump out with that description.

is there a product or line you could recommend that satisfies your recommendations? havent seen jump out with that description.

I do not see them available for the current Edge yet, but I see it available for the last generation Edge on Tire Rack right now. The Stoptech cryo treated heat slotted rotors are $137 each. I have exclusively used these rotors on my previous cars combined with Hawk HPS pads which are very aggressive. I hope this becomes available for our Edges by the time I get to needing new pads and rotors. Drilling out rotors actually weakens the rotor as there are a few articles floating around that discuss them. This makes them very susceptible to cracking which I have seen in the past causing horrible brake failure. Some of the exotic cars that come with drilled rotors take that into account in the design. Their use began as a way to reduce fade due to the outgassing from pads that were being overheated.

• Like 1

I use stainless steel brake lines on the front and they improved the brake feel a lot. Coupled with summer tires I have never ran into ABS feel or any sort of fade.

I'm not auto crossing and I do look ahead so I'm not surprised when I have to stop.

15 feet past the stop is unacceptable in the dry, the driver needs to plan better, the car doesn't just go sliding on its own unless the equipment fails which does not sound like the case.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

That light never used to turn red because the cross street has no traffic. But guess they decided to activate the cycle in preparation for the opening of the street.

I think its worth noting my edge had 80 Km put on it at the factory for testing, so the brakes could have been improperly bedded during that time.

2 weeks ago the grabby brake syndrome hit real hard. The car was sitting outside in the freezing cold for ~4 hrs, I was leaving a parking lot and had to stop to let someone cross and as soon as I touched the pedal the brakes locked up and triggered abs. This is after taking it to the dealer to have the brake system looked at for the second time. They gave me the runaround like usual, didn't even document a brake inspection on the work order. Last week I dropped it off at another dealer, they called me back after 1 hr saying they ordered a new booster and agreed that the brakes were way to touchy. So after this booster replacement the brake discs and pads are going to be switched out to the z23 kit and I plan on switching out the lines eventually.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have the worst luck ever. I ordered the z23 (k5452) kit and it arrived today. Guess what... It doesn't fit second gen edges. Every single website I looked at said it fit the 2015 Sport with the 2.7 v6 in awd format. But this kit actually only applies up to the 2014/15 1st gen edges. Front rotors are about 1 inch to small, and the rears are about 1/2 inch too big.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd leave this here.

My recommendations in order of purchase.

Better brake fluid (Dot 4 vs Dot 3) -

This and bleeding the system will greatly help pedal feel and heat resistance (foot to floor issue from boiling brake fluid after repeated high speed stops)

Better Pads - take your pick. Better pads have more friction and heat dissipation preventing fade from repeated high speed stops. More aggressive pads wear quicker and will eat up your rotors faster.

Larger vented rotors - Increase surface area (larger rotor > drilled/slotted).

Larger Calipers - More even pad pressure being applied along with greater pressure. Larger caliper allows for larger pad which increases surface area which increases brake performance.

Stainless Lines - These really only come into play under high heat conditions. The stock lines (from the caliper to the hard line which allows suspension movement) are thick rubber and as they heat up, allow expansion. Normal street vehicles will not experience this as the lines do not get hot enough. Stainless lines prevent this expansion under high heat conditions.

• Like 2

Thought I'd leave this here.

My recommendations in order of purchase.

Better brake fluid (Dot 4 vs Dot 3) -

This and bleeding the system will greatly help pedal feel and heat resistance (foot to floor issue from boiling brake fluid after repeated high speed stops)

Better Pads - take your pick. Better pads have more friction and heat dissipation preventing fade from repeated high speed stops. More aggressive pads wear quicker and will eat up your rotors faster.

Larger vented rotors - Increase surface area (larger rotor > drilled/slotted).

Larger Calipers - More even pad pressure being applied along with greater pressure. Larger caliper allows for larger pad which increases surface area which increases brake performance.

Stainless Lines - These really only come into play under high heat conditions. The stock lines (from the caliper to the hard line which allows suspension movement) are thick rubber and as they heat up, allow expansion. Normal street vehicles will not experience this as the lines do not get hot enough. Stainless lines prevent this expansion under high heat conditions.

Haha, Jason the man.

All great suggestions to look over this spring, thank you!.

Nick I still haven't found a buyer for one of my kidneys xD