Panoramic Vista Roof Problem - Broken clips

So last night I went to close our Vista Roof on our 2008 Ford Edge, but I heard a pop and then it wouldn't close. This morning I got around to looking at it and there was 2 problems. First it wasn't lubed properly (which I just fixed), but lead to the bigger problem. Both guide clips on both sides broke.

What are these clips called, how much are they?

How do I go about replacing them?

Now that the guides are lubed the roof slides with ease, any thoughts on crazy gluing them back together?

If i glue them back together how do I drop the window pins back into the guides?

We just had another baby last week and may be trading it in soon

post-42495-0-13707800-1470681090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathan Beiley
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

I just purchased my 08 ford edge last month. This past weekend I was closing my sunroof and halfway heard 2 loud snaps....sure enough I experienced the EXACT break as you Nathan. If I were to take a picture of mine and load it you wouldn't be able to tell the difference...I am calling every # I can find but im being told this part isn't sold separate and you have to remove the pass seat, drop headliner and replace the entire rail system. In the mean time I removed the glass with the T25 torks,placed the metal bracket with pins inside the plastic piece and re glued the pieces on...Make sure you place the metal bracket in first then glue, otherwise good luck getting the bracket back in and sliding the 2 pieces together. I waited 24 hrs, re installed the glass and had my friend help push the glass (to help ease the weight strain) as I held the button to close...One side gave way immediately but the other side held and closed my roof luckily....Have you or anyone had any luck getting this fixed, and if so is there other bracket options. The amount of weight on the back corner of the plastic seems sketchy at best from a design aspect

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found this for 1,050 but I really don't need the glass and sides, just looking for the rails...Does anyone have any advice...pics or vids on removing and replacing the rails. Ive been reading that once you drop the headliner it is pretty straight forward

Never had to go that far. Just be methodical in the process. By the way I bet your could sell the parts you don't use on Ebay. Not all is lost as far as expense.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Same thing just happened to my 2011 Edge that I bought last week.. I was told by the shop that the part alone is $3,000 from Ford. I found it online for $2,000, but the labor will be over $600.

I had the shop close it as best they could, but it's still lifted up in the back, so it's not safe to drive if there's a chance of rain (which is daily where we live).

I'm refusing to pay that amount for the full assembly just because of a failed piece of plastic that was a result of poor engineering. I'm contacting Ford about this issue, though I'm not sure what good it will do..

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried a reinitialization procedure?

"Start the engine.

If sunroof open, then press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.

Release, repress and hold the glass close switch (for at least 10 seconds).

- The glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

- The shade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

- After the shade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the glass close switch. Press and hold the glass close switch.

-The glass and shades will fully open together. Then, the glass will close first and then the shades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the shades have stopped moving, release the glass close switch.

Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

- If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.

NOTE:The glass close switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state. Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path".

The only way to manually close the Visa Roof is to remove the roof liner and manually pull the cord to shut it.

Edited by enigma-2

Same issues here...anyone know of a way to manually close the roof all the way for the time being? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

When the clips broke on my MKX, I closed the sunroof with help from 2 people, each pushing the glass from one side at the back while I held the close switch inside. The strange thing is the the vent function is still working, but if I slide it open it won't close because of the broken clip.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

When the clips broke on my MKX, I closed the sunroof with help from 2 people, each pushing the glass from one side at the back while I held the close switch inside. The strange thing is the the vent function is still working, but if I slide it open it won't close because of the broken clip.

This just happened to me on my edge, did you ever get it fixed? just wondering if you did it or dealer?

No, did not fix it, yet. Just can't justify the price! The minimum for the 2 rails only without labor cost ~ $700.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. We love our Edge but this vista roof is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. About to trade it in, on a Mazda CX-9, I think.

• 2 months later...

So last night I went to close our Vista Roof on our 2008 Ford Edge, but I heard a pop and then it wouldn't close. This morning I got around to looking at it and there was 2 problems. First it wasn't lubed properly (which I just fixed), but lead to the bigger problem. Both guide clips on both sides broke.

What are these clips called, how much are they?

How do I go about replacing them?

Now that the guides are lubed the roof slides with ease, any thoughts on crazy gluing them back together?

If i glue them back together how do I drop the window pins back into the guides?

We just had another baby last week and may be trading it in soon

Just had this happen to me over the weekend. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the plastic pieces once they broke off since I was driving. I couldn't get the Vista Windows to close completely. What I did to get it to close was:

1. I used 100% Spray Silicone on all the slides including the rear groves.

2. Once this is done the Vista Windows will slide back and forth easily by hand.

3. I was able to close the Vista WIndow myself by using the Initialization process listed above. while keeping pressure (towards the front of the vehicle) using a wood block against the metal frame on the bottom front of the window (it has a 1/8" lip)

As stated above I can use the vent feature and the shade screen still functions.

The Scary parts was I always kept the rails clean and lubricates using 100% silicone, and when the plastic clips broke I was on the freeway with the Vista Screen half open, when the plastic clips broke the Vista Screen slammed back as far as it could go, for a second I thought the entire glass had broken and I was in for a world of hurt! If the Glass would of come dislodged or broke apart, It could have caused a major accident.

I did file a complaint with NHTSA this morning.

Edited by Marshall Burke

• 2 months later...

My clips also broke like the first one pictured .I can't get the roof to close completely. Any suggestions? I can get it closed within 3/4 to an inch, but it won't pull down into place. Can I manually close it? Thanks for any help. Shame on Ford...what a pitiful design!!

Edited by mb1269

What I did to close it, get some one to help, preferably 2 persons. Open the vista roof slightly (~1" movement) to get the track back behind or at their original position relative to the glass, then press the button to close the glass while the two helpers each pushing the glass from outside, one from each side till the glass closes.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have a 2008 edge and mine broke trying to close roof. Took it to the dealership and it took them 2 hours to close it. They ordered the parts, but won’t work on my “old” car. They then went looking for aftermarket parts and with parts and labor was told it would be $9000 to fix. ARE YOU KIDDING! So it’s not fixed so any info anyone has on parts please please share.

The Ford model for this work is generally to replace the entire BAMR due to the lack of availability of these small repair parts.  So the owner's best resort is to either have a glass co seal the BAMR shut, OR to find a replacement in a JY.  You COULD find someone to custom make these parts for you, all depends on how much effort you put into int.  Plastic parts can be 3D printed assuming a proper base material is used to withstand the abuse the parts are expected to face.

• 10 months later...

Hello ... I have a 2011 Edge Limited.

Exact same issue... I found a site for these http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/2007-2014-Ford-EdgeLincoln-MKX-Sunroof-Guide-Repair-Kit_p_112.html

I am still interested in having mine sealed, as the labor and possibility of dealing with this again is annoying and expensive.

Anyone gone that route to have it sealed?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...