Adaptive steering fault

Doubt I could pull that off but don't want too, love the power and the ride of this vehicle when its working fine. Things I have gotten sure makes the car look bad but I have enjoyed it on multiple road trips up to this point. I have over 13k miles now. I find it also extremely safe. I came from a 2002 Celica GT that did not even have ABS let alone stability control (or torque for that matter). I find the edge even corners closeish which is impressive considering the GT was on BC BR's.

Malcolm

Agree. I am using mine in the snow and I like how it drives. Now that the steering is fixed. Nevertheless, it is not an acceptable issue on a car of this price. Should have been tested more.

Agree. I am using mine in the snow and I like how it drives. Now that the steering is fixed. Nevertheless, it is not an acceptable issue on a car of this price. Should have been tested more.

Yeah I do agree with that glad I don't have snow, hope you clean your door sills occasionally noticed the way the doors are designed they hold water and dirt in the bottom of them asking for rust imo. I work in IT and the amount of issues we need to call software companies to patch are like did you even test this with your brains.

Malcolm

Yeah I do agree with that glad I don't have snow, hope you clean your door sills occasionally noticed the way the doors are designed they hold water and dirt in the bottom of them asking for rust imo. I work in IT and the amount of issues we need to call software companies to patch are like did you even test this with your brains.

Malcolm

Thanks for the heads up, I will clean the sills! Yes, also IT, I work with websites. All work a whole lot better than Ford Adaptive Steering :)

Hi CapeDave and others of you who have contributed here!

I'm sitting at the dealership. I also had a tire with a nail in it when I took my car in. The Service Manager thought the fault message came from a low inflated tire and I was getting the brush-off.

But, thanks to some photos I took, and this forum I came with information. I gave him some of the codes that others have shared. He's on his computer now. I'll update what happens. At least he's taking this seriously now.Thanks all for the help!

Hi CapeDave and others of you who have contributed here!

I'm sitting at the dealership. I also had a tire with a nail in it when I took my car in. The Service Manager thought the fault message came from a low inflated tire and I was getting the brush-off.

But, thanks to some photos I took, and this forum I came with information. I gave him some of the codes that others have shared. He's on his computer now. I'll update what happens. At least he's taking this seriously now.Thanks all for the help!

Good work! They should be paying you for helping :)

Good work! They should be paying you for helping :)

Ha, So I will pick my car up again today soon and they did say it was programmed wrong and was off center on the steering, but told me they still have my old wheel and it feels the same. I did not bother asking them to show me it, figured I already had them though enough hell lol. Hopefully it is straight when I go down there in a few minutes. Also Smith I don't think that code can even be due to the tires as it seems to be specific to the steering control model for the adaptive portion, I would have them take off your wheel and see if the code is the same lol.

Malcolm

EDIT: Got the car and my wheel is now dead straight and the adaptive stuff is back and nice and heavy in all modes again. The wheel is straighter then my old one ever was.

Edited by rvcjew

The homework paid off! The Service Manager came back and told me the codes I had, and the pictures helped him learn of this problem. My car was the first to come in with this fault.

Long story short, he ordered a new steering wheel for my car. It is on back order. It should be in by the end of Feb. or the first of March.

The homework paid off! The Service Manager came back and told me the codes I had, and the pictures helped him learn of this problem. My car was the first to come in with this fault.

Long story short, he ordered a new steering wheel for my car. It is on back order. It should be in by the end of Feb. or the first of March.

Hope they program it right the first time! I'm happy with mine now, good luck on the time frame mine took about a month to arrive.

Malcolm

Does anyone of the forum members have information more about a temporary production stop for all Edge models with adaptive steering?

An Edge buyer from Germany got this info from his dealer today on 6th Feb. The dealer told him, that production of all Edge orders including the adaptive steering has been been stopped at the moment.

Since I have ordered an Edge Vignale including the adaptive steering myself for delivery end of July this year I am interested in this as well. I mean it would be great if Ford had found the real cause for the problems with the adaptive steering and just has to wait a few days for updated parts. But a longer production stop with a growing backlog of delayed cars would make me a little bit nervous since it takes 3 to 5 months till a Ford Edge is ready for delivery in Europe.

Patrick

Dropped mine off yesterday morning. They gave me an XLT F-150 to drive. Noticeably larger but also more solid. No weird pops and noises from the windshield/dash area.

Gauge cluster is better too. I like the simple middle screen with the two gauges to the side. It has the 2.7EB too. Getting the same if not better mileage too with the auto stop/start.

Dropped mine off yesterday morning. They gave me an XLT F-150 to drive. Noticeably larger but also more solid. No weird pops and noises from the windshield/dash area.

Gauge cluster is better too. I like the simple middle screen with the two gauges to the side. It has the 2.7EB too. Getting the same if not better mileage too with the auto stop/start.

I agree about the gauge cluster. Looks like a freaking three year old (now be sure to use every crayon color in the box, Johnny) designed it in the Edge. I thought I could live with it, but I hate it.

Good luck with your repair/replacement for your Edge.

Edited by CapeDave

I agree about the gauge cluster. Looks like a freaking three year old (now be sure to use every crayon color in the box, Johnny) designed it in the Edge. I thought I could live with it, but I hate it.

Good luck with your repair/replacement for your Edge.

Agreed. Probably some millennial at Ford thought it'd be cool. Sometimes, different isn't always better.

Anyway, got a call from the dealer. They said they went ahead and ordered a new steering wheel yesterday and it came in this morning and they've already replaced it.

I'll be sure to make sure everything is working when I pick it up. Hopefully that fixes it. Pretty surprised at the turn around on the part considering how others here had to wait awhile.

Agreed. Probably some millennial at Ford thought it'd be cool. Sometimes, different isn't always better.

Anyway, got a call from the dealer. They said they went ahead and ordered a new steering wheel yesterday and it came in this morning and they've already replaced it.

I'll be sure to make sure everything is working when I pick it up. Hopefully that fixes it. Pretty surprised at the turn around on the part considering how others here had to wait awhile.

That is an amazingly short turnaround time. Please let us know if it is the same exact steering wheel or something that is different like one or two have mentioned here.

I don't quite understand - what's the issue with the new Edge gauge cluster?

Coming from IT, the cluster is just dumb. The screen space is completely under utilized and the color scheme poor. Seeing better variants in vehicles like my Mustang, the new 2018 Mustang's all digital cluster, the F150, and the variations in Europe proves that Ford does know how to do a good cluster, but for some reason, the guy assigned to the Edge got way lazy.

• Like 1

Coming from IT, the cluster is just dumb. The screen space is completely under utilized and the color scheme poor. Seeing better variants in vehicles like my Mustang, the new 2018 Mustang's all digital cluster, the F150, and the variations in Europe proves that Ford does know how to do a good cluster, but for some reason, the guy assigned to the Edge got way lazy.

Amen! It is so hard to read and the colors are highly confusing and the layout is pretty much insane because it does not utilize space properly at all. I think it is so hard to read and distracting that I could argue it as a safety issue. BIG FAIL. And the tach, really? I mean is it even possible to read? Come on Ford, admit it, and get going. I mean like maybe square tires would look "Slick and modern and edgy" but they would not really get the job done, would they? Volvo better. BMW classic design, and Porsche, well very close to perfection :) But Ford has already proven on other vehicles they can do better.

Edited by CapeDave
  • Like 1

Functionally I like it. Just wish the colors weren't so Crayola. Doesn't match anything else in the interior and gives a very juvenile look.

Yes. You nailed it. There should never be more that two colors on that panel. Look at just about every other car to check if I am right :) OK maybe a third for an "check engine" warning light or the like. Plus, the green headlight indicator is WAY too bright. I mean what were they thinking?