Adaptive steering fault

Ok I'm going to get this thread back in line. So I got my car back a while back. Everything seemed fine. Then I read on here that somebody got their vehicle back and the adaptive steering selections were greyed out. Went to check mine, and sure enough mine were also. Been going on 2 weeks now that the dealership is "looking" into this issue to get it resolved. Beyond frustrating!

I do watch the tach sometimes, much less now than when I first got the Edge, to get a feel for how the power band and shifting are designed in this case. When you take O/D off, it works pretty similar to a manual trans, so it is a good idea to know what is "normal" to know when something happens that is "not normal". Plus you can intuit better when you know how the sound of your ride matches the revs and the gears, which makes you a better driver, even when the computer is really making 99% of the decisions for you :)

Not that I want to go back to a stickshift mind you, the traffic around here just doesn't allow it. If I could have a "weekender", then most definitely!

Very well spoken, thank you.

• Like 1

Mostly they only get involved when the dealership is headscratching, or if there is a report of terrible customer service against the dealership, situations like that. The dealership has a lot of autonomy, as it is an independent franchise. So you have to be sure to assert your rights as a customer when needed.

I did call Ford. They made a case and told me to call the service manager directly and that they will offer all their resources to the dealership. Shouldn't they have been doing that since the beginning?

I did call Ford. They made a case and told me to call the service manager directly and that they will offer all their resources to the dealership. Shouldn't they have been doing that since the beginning?

Yeah I was told for mine it was a programming issue. Hope they can get you sorted. Would any info I have from engineering mode help, I don't think it shows what software it is as the software it shows me is the same as the clusters part number and that cluster is in many cars. I take it you can not see what is in the IPC without something like forscan?

Malcolm

Edited by rvcjew

Mostly they only get involved when the dealership is headscratching, or if there is a report of terrible customer service against the dealership, situations like that. The dealership has a lot of autonomy, as it is an independent franchise. So you have to be sure to assert your rights as a customer when needed.

I get all of that. My thing is I think the headscratching started a week ago, with them having no clue on how to enable this. Why wasn't the dealer being "offered" these resources before? I'm really not sure whose fault it is at this point. I'm thinking they are a little inept at the dealership if they can't figure this out, but ford says I need to go back to this one again.

Yeah I was told for mine it was a programming issue. Hope they can get you sorted. Would any info I have from engineering mode help, I don't think it shows what software it is as the software it shows me is the same as the clusters part number and that cluster is in many cars. I take it you can not see what is in the IPC without something like forscan?

Malcolm

Thanks for the offer. I don't anything to tell which software I have. Frankly I'm tired of having to steer the dealership in the right direction each step of this process. I really wish the communication between the dealership technicians and Ford was stronger. I have only owned Ford products in my life. I traded in 2009 ecpape that had zero issues EVER. Now this issue, while only one issue, is just testing me. MAny phone calls and visits since last May about this issue and still jot resolved. I'm not one to say "i'll never come back" after an issue or 2, but this is just constant ball dropping by both Ford and the dealer.

Ok I'm going to get this thread back in line. So I got my car back a while back. Everything seemed fine. Then I read on here that somebody got their vehicle back and the adaptive steering selections were greyed out. Went to check mine, and sure enough mine were also. Been going on 2 weeks now that the dealership is "looking" into this issue to get it resolved. Beyond frustrating!

They have to go into the IDS (don't quote me on this, but that's what the service manager said) system and re-enable it. It literally is an on/off setting. My dealer had it fixed the following morning.

I glance at it occasionally but I certain don't watch it while I'm driving to the point that the design is a distraction.

I don't prefer the digital tach but whatever. My issue is with that pathetic vertical thing with huge numbers on a blue background with a blue filler that is supposed to tell me my rpm's. It's pointless even for a random glance. You're fine with the gauges, ok. I'm not, they suck. It'll be interesting to see where Ford goes in future models.

• Like 2

I don't prefer the digital tach but whatever. My issue is with that pathetic vertical thing with huge numbers on a blue background with a blue filler that is supposed to tell me my rpm's. It's pointless even for a random glance. You're fine with the gauges, ok. I'm not, they suck. It'll be interesting to see where Ford goes in future models.

Amen Brotha, Amen!

Maybe you guys need glasses. I can see the blue vertical tach gauge just fine. Like I keep saying, this is a personal preference thing (which is fine).

• Like 1

4/16 Build date Edge Sport 6600 miles and have experienced the Adaptive Steering Warning light coming on while driving in normal and sport mode. Has anyone got this fixed and if so what did the dealer say? This is a lease for me so i hope Ford fixes their problem.

They're replacing the steering wheels. Go back and read this topic for all the details.

• Like 1

Maybe you guys need glasses. I can see the blue vertical tach gauge just fine. Like I keep saying, this is a personal preference thing (which is fine).

But can you see it and get the correct info from it in a super quick glance? I doubt it. You need to stare at it, figure out where the indicator is, then figure out where on the scale that is, then process where is that in relation to the (non-existent) "redline", then maybe you have what you need to know.

• Like 1

Here is a valid follow up question to those who have had their issue fixed, either by module/clock spring replacement or by a replacement steering wheel assembly. Do you still hear that infernal "clicking" as supposedly the "adaptive steering module" figures out what signals to send to the steering wheel?

I still hear the clicking like crazy. Not all the time,but when I hear it, it keeps on clicking for awhile. All the more frustrating because the cabin is otherwise very quiet. So to have a noise that pertains to a feature that I did not even really want introduced into a cabin they worked so hard to make quiet is very frustrating for me.

There are things I really like about this car, but with these annoyances/issues/problems I really hesitate to get a Ford for my next car, and often daydream about trading it in, taking the hit, but at least being happy with my ride.

Here is a valid follow up question to those who have had their issue fixed, either by module/clock spring replacement or by a replacement steering wheel assembly. Do you still hear that infernal "clicking" as supposedly the "adaptive steering module" figures out what signals to send to the steering wheel?

I still hear the clicking like crazy. Not all the time,but when I hear it, it keeps on clicking for awhile. All the more frustrating because the cabin is otherwise very quiet. So to have a noise that pertains to a feature that I did not even really want introduced into a cabin they worked so hard to make quiet is very frustrating for me.

There are things I really like about this car, but with these annoyances/issues/problems I really hesitate to get a Ford for my next car, and often daydream about trading it in, taking the hit, but at least being happy with my ride.

I don't think i'v ever heard clicking out of my wheel can you take a video of it so we can hear what you mean? My driver window seals water fine but wind noise is high on that side and they have even replaced the weather stripping so I just live with it. It's still way quieter than my old celica which had no dampening whatsoever. Perhaps I just can't hear this noise, does it make it while idling and just turning the wheel?

Malcolm

Edited by rvcjew

I don't think i'v ever heard clicking out of my wheel can you take a video of it so we can hear what you mean? My driver window seals water fine but wind noise is high on that side and they have even replaced the weather stripping so I just live with it. It's still way quieter than my old celica which had no dampening whatsoever. Perhaps I just can't hear this noise, does it make it while idling and just turning the wheel?

Malcolm

It is a very gentle clicking only when driving. I hear it mostly when driving straight. I do not think I would be able to get a good recording. Hard to tell precisely where it is coming from, seems like inside the steering column area. It is like Ford made the car quiet just so one could hear this noise. Clickclick. ClickClick. Clicketyclick. I could care less about adaptive steering and the noise is certainly not what I expect from a luxury level car. But if you are going to force that feature upon me, please do not add in extra noise. Please!

Yeah I don't believe I have ever had a clicking in it even when it was disengaged. Does it make the noise in sport and normal in the adaptive menu? I only use sport myself.

Malcolm

I only have it in the Normal/normal mode. Have never tried changing it after the module replacement. I may try it just to see if I can feel a difference. But you use the word disengaged? How can I disengage the adaptive steering feature? I thought that was not possible???

When it was non functioning and had to be replaced it was disengaged. My wheel would be full 720 degrees like a normal car but never clicked.

Malcolm

I may have been unclear. The wheel does not click when it turns, the unit itself clicks when driving straight, seems to come from inside the steering assembly somewhere. It is as if the damn adaptive module is sensing and correcting minutely and somehow clicks in the process. My best guess. Ironically, it is most noticeable when going perfectly straight and there is near zero motion of the steering wheel itself.

Are you hearing the clicking from the inside or outside? I do not hear any clicking at all unless my windows are down and I am making tight turns. Since I am hearing it with the windows being down, it is probably standard EPAS rack and pinion steering related noises as all of the adaptive ratio hardware is inside the steering wheel itself. I would stop by a dealer and just have one of the technicians or the shop foreman go on a ride with you.

Are you hearing the clicking from the inside or outside? I do not hear any clicking at all unless my windows are down and I am making tight turns. Since I am hearing it with the windows being down, it is probably standard EPAS rack and pinion steering related noises as all of the adaptive ratio hardware is inside the steering wheel itself. I would stop by a dealer and just have one of the technicians or the shop foreman go on a ride with you.

It is inside. Seems to be inside the steering "column" for lack of a better word. Does not happen all the time, and is feint. Very hard to point out to someone.