Adaptive steering fault

I guess I am going to have to call my dealer. They were supposed to have ordered a clock spring, but I am hoping they are at least as on top of this issue as I am and that they may be waiting for a new steering wheel that is the new and correct part before they call me.

If I do not see the error message today it will be day 4 or maybe 5 without the error message.

Edited by CapeDave

As a possible separate or possible combined effect, I am wondering if the new part will still click? I am not happy with that sound at all. Yes, it is a gentle clicking. It is weird because it sounds like 2 plastic cards of the type that used to be on keychains that are clicking against each other due to the motion of the car. Reminds me of the GM fiasco with their totally useless key switches.

When I hear the clicking, I actually look down there to see if the "keychain" is causing the noise. Sheesh, when will they make cars with parts that work???

What makes you think Ford isn't doing everything they can to fix the problem as fast as possible?

What makes you think that they are? Question can go both ways.

I've been in 3 times and had my wheel swapped 3 times. Along with other folks having problems.

Report it to NHTSB to get an escalation started for a Ford recall. Simple.

I don't understand, are you saying don't expect action until someone is hurt or NHTSB won't do anything?

The NHTSA only demands recalls for things that can cause an accident or increase injury during an accident. If this issue isn't likely to cause an accident the they won't issue a recall.

Light/warning came on for me today, then it didn't, now it is again. I guess I'll be the next guinea pig. Nice having a new car.

Mine was on almost constantly for about a week. Now has been off for about a week. Before that, it was on intermittently. Anyways, welcome to the club, sorry it has to be under these circumstances. The good news is it seems like the issue is identified and a fix will be in place shortly.

Edited by CapeDave
  • Like 1

What makes you think Ford isn't doing everything they can to fix the problem as fast as possible?

I have a hunch that Ford knows it has a problem but doesn't yet know how to fix it. My dealer has told be that they have to work with Ford on this since they don't exactly know what the problem is.

The Customer Service people from Ford appear to stonewall. I have contacted them and my local rep for my dealership ignores my calls and emails. Her name is Chelsea Smith. Then again, it might have been pressure from her that got the dealership to give us a brand new Fusion Hybrid.

So, while Ford might be doing something... they are having to start from scratch.

Anyway... we are taking the Fusion to Las Vegas. Great mileage and all the mileage on their car.

I have a hunch that Ford knows it has a problem but doesn't yet know how to fix it. My dealer has told be that they have to work with Ford on this since they don't exactly know what the problem is.

The Customer Service people from Ford appear to stonewall. I have contacted them and my local rep for my dealership ignores my calls and emails. Her name is Chelsea Smith. Then again, it might have been pressure from her that got the dealership to give us a brand new Fusion Hybrid.

So, while Ford might be doing something... they are having to start from scratch.

Anyway... we are taking the Fusion to Las Vegas. Great mileage and all the mileage on their car.

Good work getting a new car! Although a sedan is different than an SUV :) Or did I get that wrong and it is a permanent loaner until yours is fixed? If that is the case, also great work.

I have now determined that I also want no clicking (I really do not want to hear my steering unit making noises as it "figures out" the correct ratio, and funnily enough the clicking is mostly heard when driving straight and a constant speed) when and if they are ever able to actually fix my car. I really do not have the time nor temperament for multiple "fixes" that do not work. I would rather wait until they really know what the issue is.

I have an Edge Titanium with Adapative Steering, I had this problem Sept 28th and took it in. They still have my car and I have had a Loaner F-150 for the whole 12 days. They said they had to order a part and it kept getting delayed. I am getting fed up calling the Dealer for updates and they basically said they would call me when the part is installed. I am on my 12th day without my car. That is almost halfway there for the Lemon law here in Utah. We will see what happens.

I am just frustrated that I spent $38k and this is happening on my car. I will not buy a Ford again.

Edited by Ryan Petersen
  • Like 1

So it would be ok if you only spent $25K? This really shouldn't happen on any vehicle, but stuff does happen despite the mfrs best intentions. And sometimes the problem and permanent fix can't be identified quickly or parts aren't readily available. And that happens with all mfrs from time to time. The key is how the mfr deals with it. You should get a free loaner at a minimum and I believe they should offer buybacks voluntarily after a certain amount of time without having to go the lemon law route. Either way Lemon Law is still available.

• Like 1

So it would be ok if you only spent $25K? This really shouldn't happen on any vehicle, but stuff does happen despite the mfrs best intentions. And sometimes the problem and permanent fix can't be identified quickly or parts aren't readily available. And that happens with all mfrs from time to time. The key is how the mfr deals with it. You should get a free loaner at a minimum and I believe they should offer buybacks voluntarily after a certain amount of time without having to go the lemon law route. Either way Lemon Law is still available.

I so agree with your last 3 sentences! Especially "You should get a free loaner at a minimum and I believe they should offer buybacks voluntarily after a certain amount of time without having to go the lemon law route." Wouldn't that save us all a bunch of wasted time and energy. I was not offered a loaner. And told no when I asked for one.

Well let's be clear. They don't really "owe" you a loaner based on the standard factory warranty. if you want a guaranteed loaner you have to purchase the ESP or get a Lincoln. And there is nothing stopping the dealer from giving you a loaner on their dime either.

That said I think Ford should go above and beyond in this situation and authorize loaners.

Amen! This is such a weird over the top situation. I wish there had been a Lincoln dealer near enough to me to try those cars out. I may even see if I could trade the Edge for the MKX at the dealer 80 miles away. Sure, I would take a hit, but life is so damn short.

I also do realize that the MKX can have this same issue. But at least a loaner. But an 80 mile drive to get it :(

The dealer called and that the part won't come in until December, and they don't recommend that I drive. So if that is true than that will be well over the 30 days.

Freaking ouch! Sorry to hear that. Both for you and for others with this issue, me included. Am I unsafe? This is really more than I bargained for when paying approx 44K for a new car. My life is worth way more than the loss I would take by just walking away from this car. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and see if I can get any info from them.

Ironically, I changed the adaptive setting to "sport" and that is roughly when I stopped having the warning light. But I still have no peace of mind.

I have over 14000 miles on my 16 Sport and the adaptive steering set to Sport since new. I haven't had a warning light yet or problems with my steering. I won't change it back to Normal to see if I do get the warning light though. If Ford issues a mandatory upgraded part for this problem, then I will look into it once it's available. Good luck and be safe everyone.

You guys might be on to something there. I too have had the steering wheel in sport mode ever since I bought it. Normal mode just felt way too light and floaty for me. If that is the case, maybe some of you guys with this issue can try setting it to sport mode and see what happens just for the sake of it. These Edge Sports are really darn good vehicles and they will be really darn good vehicles again once your Edges get fixed. I just wish that we weren't volunteered to test out such new technology that exists nowhere else even remotely within this price range.