Intelligent Access not being very Intelligent - 2016 Edge

I own a 2016 Edge Sport. Been having some issues with the MyKey IA. I've combed through the manual but some settings and understanding their purpose are just not explained.

Here are a couple example scenarios:

1: Car on, pull into parking spot. Put it in park, get out. Try to open rear door, rear door is locked. Had to pull on it 4 times before it unlocked. Keep in mind, the key was in my pocket. Why is the rear door locked? When in Park, why are not all doors auto-unlocked (which per the manual is supposed to happen as I read it)?

2: Walk up to car and try to open rear door first. Key in my pocket. Door doesn't unlock. I have to open the front door first. Seems odd considering all 4 doors are supposed to be MyKey/IA accessible.

3: Park car. Get out. Key in pocket. Open passenger front door, then close it. Go back around and try to open rear driver's door. Locked. Have to pull on handle 5 times before it decides to unlock. Again, why?

Behavior should be consistent. This gets frustrating when trying to drop the kids off at school or get some things out after parking.

Have you tried slowing down your hand motion before pulling the handle to open it? I've found that (on the rear doors more often) that if I just grab them and open some times it will take a few tries to open. But if I go in a bit slower and wait a millisecond longer before yanking the door open, it works 100% of the time.

I notice the same thing too with the door handles. You have to be really careful not to touch the top part that you use to lock the door. If so, it seems to cancel things out. I'll grab the handle, hear a click, and it is locked. Try again..nothing.

When I'm washing my car with the fob in my pocket, it'll lock and unlock over and over when I'm washing around the handle. If you spray water on it with the key in your pocket...it'll lock and unlock.

It really is a buggy system it seems. Used to have a Lexus that had the same technology that worked perfect each and every time.

1. If you have auto-unlock enabled, when you put the car in park, turn off the ignition and open the driver's door all doors should unlock. Is it possible you're hitting the lock tab on the door handle? See if the red led is lit on the rear door before you touch the handle. If it's red then it's locked. Do you have auto-unlock enabled?

2. Make sure the fob is close enough to the door. Depending on where the fob is and how you're standing it may not be in range. Make sure it's in the pocket right next to the door.

Are you grabbing the inside of the door handle when you try to open it? That's where the sensor is. Perhaps your fingers aren't hitting the sensor.

It's also possible you have a problem with the rear passenger door sensor - but make sure the fob is close to the door first and that you're grabbing the handle the right way to hit the sensor inside the handle.

1. If you have auto-unlock enabled, when you put the car in park, turn off the ignition and open the driver's door all doors should unlock. Is it possible you're hitting the lock tab on the door handle? See if the red led is lit on the rear door before you touch the handle. If it's red then it's locked. Do you have auto-unlock enabled?

2. Make sure the fob is close enough to the door. Depending on where the fob is and how you're standing it may not be in range. Make sure it's in the pocket right next to the door.

Are you grabbing the inside of the door handle when you try to open it? That's where the sensor is. Perhaps your fingers aren't hitting the sensor.

It's also possible you have a problem with the rear passenger door sensor - but make sure the fob is close to the door first and that you're grabbing the handle the right way to hit the sensor inside the handle.

Yes - i've noticed that the interior door ambient light is red when i open the door. How do i turn that off?

I am grabbing the inside of the handle. My mustang has the same system and I've had zero issues with it.

Are you sure that auto-unlock is enabled? Double check the menu. Do you hear the doors unlock when you open the driver's door? Are the other doors unlocked?

I assume you know about the lock sensor on the top of the handle and you're not hitting it by accident.

Also as previously suggested - you need to wait a half-second or so after touching it to start pulling.

Are you sure the fob is right next to the door?

That's in the left menu under vehicle settings. It is checked.

I do not hear the locks unlock when i put the vehicle in park or open my door which is what i want.

Basically, if i put the vehicle in park, all doors should unlock regardless of the key's location. Example, picking up a passenger who is trying to open the rear door.

From the owners manual:

Autounlock

Autounlock unlocks all the doors when all of the following occur: The ignition is on, all the doors are closed and your vehicle's speed is greater than 20 km/h.

You stop your vehicle and switch the ignition off or to accessory.

You open the driver door within 10 minutes of switching the ignition off or to accessory.

Note: The doors do not autounlock if you electronically lock your vehicle after you switch the ignition off and before you open the driver door.

The engine has to be turned off for the auto unlock to occur.

I have been having the same intermittent problems, as someone mentioned I think it's the speed at which your trying to go about it.

First couple weeks were fine as it was new and I was thinking about "unlocking" it with the handle.

When it tends not to work is when I kind of just go and try to open the door with my hand inside the handle all in one motion. That's usually when it takes two pulls and then I end up pulling my hand out and putting it back in to get it to work.

I got lazy ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I notice the same thing too with the door handles. You have to be really careful not to touch the top part that you use to lock the door. If so, it seems to cancel things out. I'll grab the handle, hear a click, and it is locked. Try again..nothing.

When I'm washing my car with the fob in my pocket, it'll lock and unlock over and over when I'm washing around the handle. If you spray water on it with the key in your pocket...it'll lock and unlock.

It really is a buggy system it seems. Used to have a Lexus that had the same technology that worked perfect each and every time.

I have noticed the same thing when washing and i can't grab the handle too fast either, grab, hold a second then pull.