2011 Edge Limited Engine Failure after Electronic Throttle Body Replacement

Whits_Rock

Had our ETB and motor asy replaced on 10/29/16 by a Ford dealer in Manchester NH, vehicle ran perfectly fine prior to this replacement. 3 days later the vehicle started having acceleration issues and 5 days after that the vehicle died at a set of lights. Took it to our mechanic (not Ford dealer) and they found oil in the air box. They contacted the Ford dealer that replaced the ETB and explained what they found. That dealer came and got the vehicle, they had it for 4 days and couldn't figure out what the issue was. They did say the engine was losing oil pressure and that we most likely would need a new motor. Now the vehicle is at a second Ford dealer getting a second opinion. How the hell does a vehicle that runs perfectly fine 1 day end up needing a new motor only 8 days after this recalled part gets replaced by a Ford dealer?

I talked to a good friend of mine and his initial thought was, "when they replaced the ETB if they screwed up replacing the throttle body it probably sucked a bunch of antifreeze into the intake and from there it mixes with the oil and ends up ruining the bearings in the lower end of the motor."

This is the most logical explanation I've had since this started and it's been with two different mechanics.

Looking for opinions from anyone on this forum.

Huh? None of the explanations make any sense to me, but ... The 2011 at least if not the 2011-14 Edge did have a PCV issue with oil getting past the throttle plate and into the intake tube. That is the most likely source of the oil in the airbox. The PCV system does not produce much oil vapor, but I suppose it was somehow compromised from the start, that could possibly do it. Maybe the "new" throttle body and/or sensor was/is faulty.

How much oil was found btw? Fingers crossed, I have not had issues at all on my 2007 with oil in the intake tube.

• Date ReportedJANUARY 01, 2014
  • NHTSA Reference#10055042
  • TSB Reference#ASI-44354

Description: FORD/LINCOLN: AN ACCUMULATION OF OIL, IN LEFT HAND VALVE COVER BAFFLE, MIGRATING THROUGH FRESH AIR INTAKE OF POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) SYSTEM, MAY HAVE ENGINE OIL IN INTAKE AIR SYSTEM COMPONENTS. MODEL 2011-2013 EDGE, EXPLORER

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

The cause of the loss of oil pressure in my Opinion is the failure of the water pump as water compressed will react differently than oil does under hydraulic pressures. I am willing to say your water pump may have failed. Simple check of the oil will determine the failure.

The throttle body in no way has anything to do with the coolant. Closed systems and they do not interact physically.

Small amounts of oil in the intake and throttle body and Plenum have been documented. This may be a larger issue for an Edge that does short trips rather than long trips as it would be burned off with a long drive.