Shopping for mom - need Edge buying advice

hitops

Canadian, looking at a used 2015 Edge SEL FWD, 2.0L ecoboost. Very low km's. Specifically VIN 2FMTK3J98FBB18404, assembled in Oakville.

New to Ford, new to the edge. I searched around this forum a little, but still would like to ask the question - what kinds of problems is this vehicle likely to encounter?

From research, it looks like this engine is mature and has been used for a number of years on other vehicles? Does this mean the car is less likely to have first-model-year bugs and gremlins? Are there any known expensive ones?

Would appreciate any advice. Considering FWD for reasons of cost and what seems like a particular good deal on this vehicle. We drove it, and it seems really nice.

Check the front carpet for leaks or mold/mildew - some 2015s had water leaks. There were some throttle body problems but they're covered by the warranty. You don't have a PTU (AWD only) so that's good. I'd say go for it if there is no sign of a water leak.

Thanks. Did the PTU issue get sorted out for 2016 and onward?

The throttle body issue is actually on the 3.5L, which is truly the "mature" engine in the Edge; initially the fix was PCM re-calibration, now they are replacing the TB entirely. The 2.0L in the 2015 is second generation (2012-14 was first gen), so it is a bit of an unknown, BUT I don't think there are any significant issues reported so far. If you intend to keep an Ecoboost Edge for any significant period of time, you should have an extended warranty, such as PremiumCare FordProtect from Ford, or budget it in.

No idea on the PTU on the 2015+, as it seems to be a somewhat different design from the 2007-14. Ford does keep revising the PTU, having gone through at least 7 of them for the 2007-14.

If you get deep snow/ice, you should consider winter tires, as they will be >>> than AWD. So FWD + winter tires will be at least > AWD.

The throttle body issue is actually on the 3.5L, which is truly the "mature" engine in the Edge; initially the fix was PCM re-calibration, now they are replacing the TB entirely. The 2.0L in the 2015 is second generation (2012-14 was first gen), so it is a bit of an unknown, BUT I don't think there are any significant issues reported so far. If you intend to keep an Ecoboost Edge for any significant period of time, you should have an extended warranty, such as PremiumCare FordProtect from Ford, or budget it in.

No idea on the PTU on the 2015+, as it seems to be a somewhat different design from the 2007-14. Ford does keep revising the PTU, having gone through at least 7 of them for the 2007-14.

If you get deep snow/ice, you should consider winter tires, as they will be >>> than AWD. So FWD + winter tires will be at least > AWD.

Very good to know. Can you elaborate on the ecoboost reliability, pricing in repairs etc. Are the known to be problematic?

Speaking in general, Ecoboost engines are turbocharged engines. They have come a LONG way from Ford's experimentation with them in the 1980s. Every component is better, the cooling is better, etc etc etc. BUT they do require that you use good fuel and good oil every time, as turbocharged engines by nature are not as forgiving as naturally aspirated (such as the 3.5/3.7) engines. It usually takes a few years for problems to show up, but when it does, the labor cost of replacing the turbos can be quite high, mainly due to location. That is where a warranty pays off. In addition, there can be oil leaks from the supply lines to the turbo.

There are issues also with the carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves in direct injected engines for every manufacturer, but Ford is actually at the forefront of dealing with this problem :) This buildup happens because fuel does not wash over the intake valves en route to the combustion chamber. Lately, Ford has taken to implementing an additional sensor or two that may help make this problem quite negligible. Time will tell.

Not to say these problems WILL happen, but they CAN happen. Given proper "feeding" and servicing of trans/coolant fluids the risk of such an event should be minimal.

Speaking in general, Ecoboost engines are turbocharged engines. They have come a LONG way from Ford's experimentation with them in the 1980s. Every component is better, the cooling is better, etc etc etc. BUT they do require that you use good fuel and good oil every time, as turbocharged engines by nature are not as forgiving as naturally aspirated (such as the 3.5/3.7) engines. It usually takes a few years for problems to show up, but when it does, the labor cost of replacing the turbos can be quite high, mainly due to location. That is where a warranty pays off. In addition, there can be oil leaks from the supply lines to the turbo.

There are issues also with the carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves in direct injected engines for every manufacturer, but Ford is actually at the forefront of dealing with this problem :) This buildup happens because fuel does not wash over the intake valves en route to the combustion chamber. Lately, Ford has taken to implementing an additional sensor or two that may help make this problem quite negligible. Time will tell.

Not to say these problems WILL happen, but they CAN happen. Given proper "feeding" and servicing of trans/coolant fluids the risk of such an event should be minimal.

Thank you so much for this. Very helpful.

• Like 1

OEM offers varying sizes, so you can "downsize" with little ill effect. The key is keeping OVERALL tire height the same. The easiest resource is usually a reputable site like

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SelectTireSize.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Edge&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=SE

Winter packages

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterPackageMain.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Edge&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=SE

Maybe Canadian Tire has similar offerings?

• Like 1

OEM offers varying sizes, so you can "downsize" with little ill effect. The key is keeping OVERALL tire height the same. The easiest resource is usually a reputable site like

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SelectTireSize.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Edge&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=SE

Winter packages

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterPackageMain.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Edge&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=SE

Maybe Canadian Tire has similar offerings?

Thank you. Tire rack seems to only have options for 18" wheels. I recall checking with them before for another vehicle and they did have other options (in that case an Odyssey, had 17" option vs 18" standard, went with 17" for winter). Is it likely the Edge has only one wheels size option?

Will I need sensors?

Nooo Canadian Tire is the worst place ever. Avoid at all costs. Agreed use Tirerack as a reference and then head to a local tire shop. They will most likely have comparable packages.

Quite right, it's fairly widely understood not to go there these days. Technicians are not well paid and usually the most inexperienced.

Edited by hitops

Well, the smallest size you can go with is likely to be the size of the OEM spare tire, I am not sure what size the wheel is on that. Fordparts.com is not showing me a part number or listing, unfortunately.

What year Odyssey? Are 17" wheels available from Honda? If so, then 17" can work. But what works for one car does not necessarily work for another. You should stay within the manufacturer's specs for safety, and the spare wheel diameter is the smallest you should go.

Well, the smallest size you can go with is likely to be the size of the OEM spare tire, I am not sure what size the wheel is on that. Fordparts.com is not showing me a part number or listing, unfortunately.

What year Odyssey? Are 17" wheels available from Honda? If so, then 17" can work. But what works for one car does not necessarily work for another. You should stay within the manufacturer's specs for safety, and the spare wheel diameter is the smallest you should go.

The Odyssey was 2011, factory was 18" for our Touring, but other models used 17" so it was fine. Ford tells me for the Edge 18" is as small as you can go, due to brakes or something along those lines. Based model edges use 18" as well.

Just as an afterthought, most Ford dealerships will price match any reliable competitor prices. Could get a price on tirerack.Com and then see what your local dealer will offer.

And Ford is offered a rebate up to $140 on tires if you buy certain brands and put it on your Ford Credit card.

Two advantages, one is the rebate and the second is no charge for credit if paid off in a year (OPM). Just have to make minimum payments. Worth considering.

• Like 1

We found a sick deal on a 2016, close deal on Wednesday. SEL FWD, barely 150km, effectively new. Some guy won it, sold it to the dealership he worked for, and we picked it up from there.

Now I'm looking for winter rims. Found a used set on classifieds. Touren Brand TR9 3190 universal 18". Sticker says PCD code: 39 (5-108/6-120). I'm assuming this means it will acommodate 5x108 bolt pattern?

How do I know the centerbore diameter?

Congrats on the new ride.

Yes, 5x108 is the bolt pattern. Make sure the offset works with the Edge.

Can you explain offset?

Edit: I think I understand the basics of it. But I can't tell what it is from the time I want to buy. I read that the number is prefaced by 'ET', usuallly listed after the wheel dimensions, but this is not the case on this wheel. Will attach pics.

I believe offset for factory ford rims is 52.5. So is this going to work?

post-44280-0-18318500-1480685517_thumb.jpg

post-44280-0-22392000-1480685539_thumb.jpg

post-44280-0-70044600-1480685720_thumb.jpg

Edited by hitops

Thanks for all the help.

For the record we got a silver 2016 SEL FWD with 178km on it. A mechanic who works for Toyota won it in a local lottery. He sold it to his employer, it got listed in their used lot and we picked it up for $27,500 CAD + 5% tax. In my province when the PST is paid (in this case by winner who owned it for a few days), it never has to be paid again. So only one tax for us.

Edited by hitops
  • Like 1

Wow, what a great deal! Do post some pics, and enjoy!!!

Thanks! Their asking price was already a good deal, I was surprised they allowed me to negotiate down a little more.

It's at my mom's so can't take my own pics right now, but the add is still up:

http://www.taylortoyota.ca/used/Ford/2016-Ford-Edge-ab87031a0a0e08b93143870f33bee713.htm

Edited by hitops
  • Like 1